TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Alternator Died

Just replaced mine too, but only 58K miles. It was rather interesting to watch as it passed away. I have a ScanGauge II on the OBD port, and I watched my voltage die out as I was heading to a repair shop. Slowly, one by one, features failed. Radio, power windows, head/tail lights (it was after sunset) and so on. Finally, as I pulled into the shop, she went dead. Nothing. Simple install of a replacement, overnight charge, and all was forgiven. Good Lord, these alternators are not cheap!

Looking at your sig pic...Is that a Carlisle sticker in the upper left corner of the windshield? If so, maybe I'll see you this year?

Y'all be safe.

Just replaced mine too, but only 58K miles. It was rather interesting to watch as it passed away. I have a ScanGauge II on the OBD port, and I watched my voltage die out as I was heading to a repair shop. Slowly, one by one, features failed. Radio, power windows, head/tail lights (it was after sunset) and so on. Finally, as I pulled into the shop, she went dead. Nothing. Simple install of a replacement, overnight charge, and all was forgiven. Good Lord, these alternators are not cheap!

Looking at your sig pic...Is that a Carlisle sticker in the upper left corner of the windshield? If so, maybe I'll see you this year?

Y'all be safe.

I was curious as I've never replaced an alternator on any car...

I see $278 at Ford / Motorcraft parts, and $179 for an Advance Auto Parts unit.

I was curious as I've never replaced an alternator on any car...

I see $278 at Ford / Motorcraft parts, and $179 for an Advance Auto Parts unit.

I had mine changed at 1,200 miles just fried the end connector , I watched s the mechanic change it , not an easy job to do , he had a hard time getting it out .

Replaced mine in an attempt to resolve some diag codes that ultimately led to a motor replacement. It was a little tricky wiggling it out of there without removing the throttle body, but it was doable. Went with a PAPerformance alternator

If I am not mistaken Shelby (SPP) never offered a “beefier” high performance alternator for the 4.6 liter Shelby GT/Mustang GT Platform. They did however make an alternator for the 2007-2008 GT500 platform and it is still available from SPP but I don’t think it is applicable to the 4.6 liter SGT.

We did offer one for the 4.6, a beefier unit made for and branded for Shelby by PA Performance. I don't see it on the website anymore (surprise, surprise).

BTW, changing them is easy unless you have a Whipple. THEN, it's a bigger project!

Jer

We did offer one for the 4.6, a beefier unit made for and branded for Shelby by PA Performance. I don't see it on the website anymore (surprise, surprise).

BTW, changing them is easy unless you have a Whipple. THEN, it's a bigger project!

Jer

How 'bout a Whipple with a 10 rib setup...... :drop:

post-25056-0-19351400-1427799875_thumb.jpg

I went with the Black PA Performance alternator from American Muscle was $289.

Y'all be safe.

Lulu,

I am gonna try and go this year, I have missed the past few years. If I go this year I will have my then 6 month old daughter in tow... we shall see.

My alternator went south when I installed my supercharger at around 30K miles! With the Edelbrock S/C, you relocate and reorient the alternator, so it's facing toward the firewall. On the third test run, the alternator shaft gave way, causing the alternator pulley to rub against the engine head and creating a very worrying mechanical noise that sounded just like something had gone terribly wrong with the engine! With investigation, I found the issue and replaced the alternator with one from Autozone and all has been well since!

Sam

Y'all be safe.

Alternator, round 2:

After I charged the battery after replacing a dead alternator, the battery went dead! No crank over, just ticks, the battery showed 8.4 volts. Parked the evening before. I was out late, so, heater blower, radio, GPS and head/tail lights, occasional turn signal, loaded up the discharges for about 2 hours of highway driving. WTF? Charged it overnight again, drove it about 10 miles the next day and parked overnight again. More ticking the next morning, 8.1 volts on the meter this time.

Called the shop, "bring it in" he said. I did. He asked "where is the car?" At home. "I need the car". No you don't, just test the battery? He did, it was shot, less than 4 volts by now. I bought it there 06/13, Motorcraft, got full replacement on warranty.

I should have remembered that when you blow an alternator, there could be collateral damage. I wasn't pleased with the repair bill on the alternator, but I presumed that the system and battery was tested in that repair. Why shouldnt I? Could be a chance to sell other repairs, yes?

Nothing important in this note, just a reminder about collateral damage.

Y'all be safe.

Archived