TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Check Charging System In Boost At High Rpm???

avinaj80

Hey fellas! Got a question for you guys. I purchased my 09 GT500 at the end of January. Car has been runing fine, done some small mods and such. most recently the FRPP CAI and carry over tune from Bama (not impressed, ordering VMP tunes next week). Yesterday I was doing some spirited driving and got into it in 2nd, would it up to about 5k then the car just fell on it's face and the "check charging system" disclaimer cmae up on the info panel and the anti theft icon flashed up on the cluster... Once I got of the gas, the engine settled down and ran fine. Like nothing happened. Went and did another happy pull and the same thing... Did anothe pull later in the day this time in third, same thing... Only doing it when I get past that RPM threshold.

Could it be a bad alternator? It's got me slightly confused. I am coming into this car from a 3V GT so this boosted engine thing is a little new for me. If any of you can chime in on ideas, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You need a new alternator.

I suspect it happend when you were in boost because the FPDMs pull more voltage when they need to pump more fuel.

It's actually a good thing you didn't go lean and damage something.

I replaced my alternator with the PA Performance unit.

And I don't know anything about Bama tunes but I would probably only trust VMP or Lund with these cars.

My first choice would be FRPP though... but I'm a safety guy.

I have a Lund tune on my car (FRPP TVS) but only because I couldn't get an FRPP tune.

I asked him to make it basically the same as an FRPP tune so I'm hoping he did. My car runs great with his tune.

VMP has high praise as well.

Thank you for the input. I figured as much that it's a problem with the alternator. As for the Bama tunes, I had them for my 3V and they did me the favor of setting me up for tunes for my 500, glad I didn't pay for them. Took them about 3 revisions to get it right and this was all without data logs. I have been able to verify that it's not leaning out though. The car does feel awesome, has been running great but I am just not impressed on the dyno numbers other guys are pulling with said tunes. Those guys running VMP and Lund tunes are making great power and have no complaints.

Thank you for the input. I figured as much that it's a problem with the alternator. As for the Bama tunes, I had them for my 3V and they did me the favor of setting me up for tunes for my 500, glad I didn't pay for them. Took them about 3 revisions to get it right and this was all without data logs. I have been able to verify that it's not leaning out though. The car does feel awesome, has been running great but I am just not impressed on the dyno numbers other guys are pulling with said tunes. Those guys running VMP and Lund tunes are making great power and have no complaints.

It might not have been leaning out with the tune, but if your alternator is failing then it may very well be since it can't command enough voltage to pump enough fuel to be safe.

Archived