TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rear Seat Delete For Shelby Owners

I am curious if others have searched for a nice custom rear seat delete but fell short and did not settle for the bland standard delete kit on American Muscle. With the Boss 302 out and the seatless look of the 60's fastbacks i want to get a nice showy seat delete with maybe Carroll Shelby's signature raised in the center or even just Shelby GT or the CS logo. I got the idea from a buddy who made an award winning 03 Mach 1 show car and his seat delete was inspiring....however the company no longer exists that made his. I really wish Shelby would start producing some for these cars because 1.) i dont want anyone sitting in the back seat anyway and 2.) this car was designed for track purposes and that seat is only taking away from that and adding weight. Does anyone else agree with me on here that Shelby should look into this? I know i would pay a little extra to have something that looks like it belongs in the car.

While I like the idea, I'd also like to be able to let someone "jumpseat" in the back on occasion - nothing I've seen so far will support much more than a few pounds - maybe 50-60 at most. Of course, having something that will support more weight defeats the purpose of getting rid of the rear seat in the first place!

Sam

Here I go again, opening my big mouth. I'll never learn...

Years ago, 2008 I think, Amy was out with us on a Big Bend run during a Terlingua event. She had a neat looking kit in her orange vert (I think it was a vert) and she remarked that it was a "beta" unit, but I didn't see any cross bracing. Looked sweet, but I don't know if it ever came to market.

I have seen a few of the Ford/Shelby kits installed, but that kit doesn't interest me. Its a lot of nothing IMHO. 1500 bucks could buy you a lot of custom work and features from a pro. You would think SAI would at least put the Shelby name in place of "Mustang".

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/Z15-M-6346612-B.htm

I too, owned a late '60s Mustang, a '68 GTA with the center console and fold down back seat. I loved it, and I converted my "Lucy" in that manner. I had a section of 1/2" MDF cut out for the front lower sections where the lower seat cushions were, and covered all of that with carpeting all the way back to the interior trunk tail light trim panel. I left a door cutout over the spare tire well. It leveled everything out nicely and it will support a lot of weight, but it's also semi-permanent too. Unlikely anyone would ride back there, but the rear seat area was bogus to begin with.

I don't care about loosing the seat area, it's now a great space to have on road trips. But as usual, there are a few other concerns too. Wide open like this, all the road and suspension noise is quick to the ear. Noise seems a bit amplified from bouncing around the open space. Likewise, outside temps seem amped too. No real insulation to speak of invites extra heat and cold to the cockpit and it takes a little longer to heat or cool the cabin. Nothing one can't handle, but both require some getting used too. I have a short plan in mind for LuLu, but she has a 6 point cage to work around.

The "X" brace is totally bogus, it doesn't support or strengthen anything IMHO except a section of trim panel that closes off the trunk area. If you want to add bracing for true suspension improvement, professional design and production is available in an upper shock tower brace, similar to that which lies under the hood. This is a bit of eye candy too, but in a hard-to-see location. I make no recommendations, shop around.

Word of caution. You can go too far into this. It all has to be removable for access to the fuel systems just behind the front seats. You may need that access someday, and be careful with the screw gun too. The fuel bladders are right there. I think your money is better spent elsewhere. Hunt down a custom interior shop and do some design brain-storming. You'll get a louder bang for your buck, IMHO.

I'd like to offer some pics of Lucy to you, 5111, Sam, or anyone interested. But, I don't know how to post here, and I'm not interested in another on-line locale to nurse. Drop me a line at the addy in my profile and I'll sent them out to you.

Carry on gents, y'all be safe.

A couple companies tried this but they priced it so high no one bought it and this is the first time I've heard the subject again in a couple years.

If you want it done its going to have to be hand made

If I were going to do a back-seat delete, I would find an original-original '66 GT350 and emulate that space as best I could, with modern materials.

The week they were first delivered to local dealers, I sat in the driver seat of the nearest one. My child was outgrowing the back seat of my four-seat Austin-Healey, and it was immediately obvious this was not the solution.

As I remember it, there was a fitted fiberglass cover, rough on the surface, and notched in places, to fit minor intrusions into the space. Intrusions such as the top mounts for the KONI shocks. Authentic orange intrusions would be so wonderful.

I have seen a few of the Ford/Shelby kits installed, but that kit doesn't interest me. Its a lot of nothing IMHO. 1500 bucks could buy you a lot of custom work and features from a pro. You would think SAI would at least put the Shelby name in place of "Mustang".

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/Z15-M-6346612-B.htm

That's not a Shelby or a Ford part.

It is a Ford Racing Performance Parts part.

Shelby's got nothing to do with it so no, I would *not* think SAI would at least put the Shelby name in place of "Mustang".

I made my own. For less than $100. And it holds all 195 pounds of my fatt ass. I'll see if i can find my pics and post them here when I get some time.

Phill

Here is another price on the FRPP part for a little less money ($999 + free shipping) than above http://www.buyfordracingfromdpm.com/2011-2013-mustang-rear-seat-delete-kit-with-grey-x-brace/

And then Gary Disney does a version that's reasonably priced IMO. I think about $400 for the non carbon fiber version http://designerautoaccessories.com/rear-seat-delete

That's not a Shelby or a Ford part.

It is a Ford Racing Performance Parts part.

Shelby's got nothing to do with it so no, I would *not* think SAI would at least put the Shelby name in place of "Mustang".

I made my own. For less than $100. And it holds all 195 pounds of my fatt ass. I'll see if i can find my pics and post them here when I get some time.

Phill

I don't know what to tell you, Phill. The link I posted is from the Shelby Parts Catalogue, available to us all at the top of each forum.

The part number of that listing begins with "Z-15", which may be SPPs way of cataloging, I do not know. The remainder of the part number is consistent with the FRPP listing M-6346612-B, but so are the other products highlighted in this discussion.

If someone were to say to me "I bought the Shelby Rear Seat Delete Kit", the photo in the Shelby listing would come to my mind, and I would know what was purchased. I would not correct them to say "that's not a Shelby part, nor is it a Ford part, but a Ford Racing part". Nope, that would not come to my mind.

I stand by my statement. Considering the cost of the part/kit in question, it should have Shelby's name on it. Perhaps if it did, it would be a more popular option with SGT owners. Shelby brands a lot of stuff, why not this too?

"Got nothing to do with it" you say? Shelby/SAI manufactures nothing of its own that I can recall at this time. The whole catalogue is other people's stuff with Shelby's name on it. Most of us get that.

Carry on gents, y'all be safe.

LuLu! Great to see you!

:-)

Yeah..this is the Ford Racing part that Shelby is reselling, as given the costs of tooling etc., perhaps the economics don't work. It's part of the metal brace and not a plate or printed logo that can be easily swapped or changed. it always seemed to me to be more for weight reduction than suspension changes. The back cloth and "X" brace also provide stability to items in the trunk and keep it serviceable in daily use. It's a different use case than the old rear seat delete kits of the 60's where there was no trunk space as we would have it today. I've considered getting it for my Boss and having the metal "X" painted to match the car. As you said, given the price, it's on my list but not very high in priority.

• 3 weeks later...

Years ago, 2008 I think, Amy was out with us on a Big Bend run during a Terlingua event. She had a neat looking kit in her orange vert (I think it was a vert) and she remarked that it was a "beta" unit, but I didn't see any cross bracing. Looked sweet, but I don't know if it ever came to market.

LuLu:

You may be referring to the rear seat delete kit made by Raceskinz, a company from Las Vegas (?) which may now be defunct. I recall Amy having one in her car and me falling in love with it after seeing the photos. Like a few others here, I was more interested in emulating the '65/'66 GT-350 look than any performance gain.

Here are a few photos of mine:

LeftSideRollbar.jpg

Center-1.jpg

ShelfNameplateCS.jpg

LuLu:

You may be referring to the rear seat delete kit made by Raceskinz, a company from Las Vegas (?) which may now be defunct. I recall Amy having one in her car and me falling in love with it after seeing the photos. Like a few others here, I was more interested in emulating the '65/'66 GT-350 look than any performance gain.

Here are a few photos of mine:

LeftSideRollbar.jpg

Center-1.jpg

ShelfNameplateCS.jpg

They are still around and are located in Southern California. I've seen quite a few of these kits, they are very nice.

http://www.raceskinz.us.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=3&osCsid=3a69df34d61307aad9a44e4c339ddf4f

Yes, I also thought the Raceskinz one that Amy had in her car I saw at the 09 Bash was the nicest version I had ever seen. I wanted one pretty bad, but then when the pricing came out it was very high. I want to say $3K. Anyway it was too rich for me.

Archived