TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clutch

paul burgess

my son just blew the clutch on his Shelby gt,only has 35,000 miles not sure what he did but when it comes out .I will see.he orderd a exedy stage 2 for it I will kick his ass soon

Maybe you should just get him a stock clutch!

ok so lesson's learned (and this is only advice) i had a clutch that was wore out on a previous 2002 GT with high miles and i decided to replace it with a king cobra clutch (only needed a stock clutch btw). Guy talked me into having the flywheel resurfaced because it was the cheaper route. Long story short the clutch within a few weeks/month was trashed despite breaking it in properly and when we removed it i ended up replacing the flywheel and clutch again because the flywheel had pits or warps in it from abuse over the years and past owners. After hours of research i found this is common. Sometimes the common eye cannot see the imperfections. A flywheel has to mesh perfect with the clutch to have that factory feel. Keep in mind a stage two clutch might be less fun for daily driving as it could be heavier.

If it were me i would look into replacing the flywheel and have a well respected shop do the job. It won't be cheap but you know what? maybe your son will learn not to grenade clutches on low mile cars anymore. Stock clutch should be more than suffice unless it's a GT/SC but hey i don't know what you are running and it's not my place to tell you what to do. I just don't want you guys to go through the same issues i did with your expensive name brand stage 2 clutch. Best of luck with this. I know clutch jobs now make me nervous because the slightiest mistake = complete rework

Archived