TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Soft Water Wash Ok?

I have the same system here in Ontario and I have been washing my Super Snake since 2007 with no issues at all. Just ensure that you remove the water afterwards with either an air blower or soft shammy. My car shine's like it's still brand new.

I have well water with a hardness factor that is off the scale! I am now in the process of buying a water softener because the hard water is just hellacious on my black paint!!!! I cannot wash the entire car then go back and dry it. If I do that I have to wax it.... even detail spray will not remove the water spots.

My house has a hose bib connected to the soft water used inside the house. Is there enough salt in soft water to be harmful to the Car?

A proper hooked up water softerner does not supply cold water to the kitchen tap & outside tap , why because one is needed for drinking water & you don`t want to water your lawn with soft water.

A proper hooked up water softerner does not supply cold water to the kitchen tap & outside tap , why because one is needed for drinking water & you don`t want to water your lawn with soft water.

I believe that is a matter of choice not necessity. Local laws may dictate which way to go.

I believe that is a matter of choice not necessity. Local laws may dictate which way to go.

Ya your right but most plumbers will tell you how it should be hooked up, but who would want to water your grass with soft water the unit would have to cycle to keep up & your salt bill would be pretty huge.

Ya your right but most plumbers will tell you how it should be hooked up, but who would want to water your grass with soft water the unit would have to cycle to keep up & your salt bill would be pretty huge.

I don't want to hijack the thread but, I don't water my grass, that's why we have rain..... I use the outside hose bib to wash my car, and the hard water is causing me more in stress then the cost of salt!

I am on well water too. I have two outside taps one for the lawn and one for washing cars. I would much rather wash the car with soft water than with hard water.

I am on well water too. I have two outside taps one for the lawn and one for washing cars. I would much rather wash the car with soft water than with hard water.

The only think is that water contains NACL which is not good for your cars finish. I read an article where this person uses hard water to wash & a 3 gal commercial water sprayer filled with distilled water to rinse.

Water softeners do not add salt to the water as long as the softener is working properly and the clock has the correct time on it. For some odd reason, people think a softener adds salt to the water system. Being a plumber here in WI, I deal with hard water all the time. The salt (brine) is used as a cleaner. It cleans the media that collects/attracts the unwanted minerals, such as lime and iron, in your water. That water is flushed out during regeneration (cleaning of the media), similar to how a dishwasher works, soapy water to wash, clean water to rinse/flush, no soap on dishes. Hopefully this simple explanation helps. And as shelby001 mentioned, no need to waste softened water on your lawn, it won't hurt the lawn if you do though. I installed my outside softened tap just for washing the cars, and have done so for many customers.

Water softeners do not add salt to the water as long as the softener is working properly and the clock has the correct time on it. For some odd reason, people think a softener adds salt to the water system. Being a plumber here in WI, I deal with hard water all the time. The salt (brine) is used as a cleaner. It cleans the media that collects/attracts the unwanted minerals, such as lime and iron, in your water. That water is flushed out during regeneration (cleaning of the media), similar to how a dishwasher works, soapy water to wash, clean water to rinse/flush, no soap on dishes. Hopefully this simple explanation helps. And as shelby001 mentioned, no need to waste softened water on your lawn, it won't hurt the lawn if you do though. I installed my outside softened tap just for washing the cars, and have done so for many customers.

Thanks for the explanation. I guess if you have the opportunity to add an outside hose bib that is either connected to the softener or not that would be best. The way my house is built with the water supply coming in the back of the house and the garage in the front and the water softener added after the house was built, it would be an expensive proposition for me to add either.

PaPa Your correct in saying "If" the resin bed is rinsed properly there is no brine in the soft water. The problem is the units don`t work at 100% & most people don`t have their water checked for brine content. I have had to increase my rinse time a few times .

I have well water with a hardness factor that is off the scale! I am now in the process of buying a water softener because the hard water is just hellacious on my black paint!!!! I cannot wash the entire car then go back and dry it. If I do that I have to wax it.... even detail spray will not remove the water spots.

Doug, have you tried using a water blade to quickly get the water off the car after washing, then towel dry what's left?

Does it really matter? Either way (hard water or soft water) you pretty much have to dry the car because either way you will be left with some deposits thta will leave behind spots. I always wash then use a microfiber towel to absorb the water (but it usually leaves streaks) and then before the streaks get a chance to dry, use a second dry towel to get the final streaks off. I used to use terrycloth bath towels too but microfiber works pretty well.

Does it really matter? Either way (hard water or soft water) you pretty much have to dry the car because either way you will be left with some deposits thta will leave behind spots. I always wash then use a microfiber towel to absorb the water (but it usually leaves streaks) and then before the streaks get a chance to dry, use a second dry towel to get the final streaks off. I used to use terrycloth bath towels too but microfiber works pretty well.

So true. Exactly what I do. In fact, I need to wash one section, dry it, move on to the next, and so on during the middle of summer. If I can get up early enough before it warms up, I can wash the whole car at one time and take my time drying it. But I will say, the softened water has made a huge difference, especially if you miss a few spots, and a little detailer will easily take care of any left over streaks.

Doug, have you tried using a water blade to quickly get the water off the car after washing, then towel dry what's left?

yes I have Sean, no luck....

So true. Exactly what I do. In fact, I need to wash one section, dry it, move on to the next, and so on during the middle of summer. If I can get up early enough before it warms up, I can wash the whole car at one time and take my time drying it. But I will say, the softened water has made a huge difference, especially if you miss a few spots, and a little detailer will easily take care of any left over streaks.

That's what I wind up doing but it's still a pita..... from one side of the roof to the other and if it starts to dry it looks like I rinsed it with liquid soap....

I have well water and have had no problems with my car washings. I would think that the quality/type of wax on the car would act as a barrier against any contaminants as well.

Oops, I see this is the 13-14 owner's thread. Maybe your cars are different. :)

AK.

PaPa Is the salt I put in the water softener really salt? It seems since I pour a bag in once a month it must be going thru the house water lines. My concern was if there is a chip in the aluminum hood is soft water detrimental?

Richard, yes, that is real salt, some with different additives in it. Again, if your softener is working properly, there should not be any salt in your house water. And, I agree, probably would not be good for the aluminium if there was.

I have well water and have had no problems with my car washings. I would think that the quality/type of wax on the car would act as a barrier against any contaminants as well.

Oops, I see this is the 13-14 owner's thread. Maybe your cars are different. :)

AK.

AK, all well water is not created equal. Lime/calcium seems to be the biggest culprit in causing spots and streaks. You may be in an area with little to none in your water. In southeast WI along Lake Michigan, most wells are in the limestone. (used to be a driller in my younger days) A water softener was pretty much required. The town we lived in was served by well water, and the water was so hard, without a softener your water heater didn't last much more than 2 years, the water was any where from 27 to 32 parts hard. Having moved to the far north, our home is served by our private well which is only 11 parts hard, but still hard enough to require a softener.

Archived