TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Accident On Carfax-Autocheck

I'm looking at a car that is being sold as a Ford Certified Pre-Owned but on the AutoCheck there is "one minor accident: rear center"... I'm not sure what to do now. If it was damaged, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be able to get Ford Certified warranty and anything will be covered for 5 more years or up to 100k miles. Another fear is if I have to sell it, will everyone walk away w/ the accident showing on Autocheck... Also, how does Autocheck decipher between minor, moderate or serious accidents?

One other weird thing, Carfax shows clean bill of health.. no accidents. Why would one agency show accident and another none? Does Carfax only show accidents where airbags are deployed or damage exceeds a certain amount?

Any thoughts from the guys on the board? Sorry for all the questions...

Thanks

Can't answer your questions, but if it were me and I saw these conflicts, discrepancies, etc. I would avoid this one and move on to the next.

Auto Check many times (for some reason) picks up things that Car Fax misses - always good to run both. In this instance - there are too many clean ones out there - pass on this and take your time looking for the right one - It's out there.

If you did decide to go with the original car, ensure you look it over very carefully in the accident area. They can do wonders today in the automotive repair business if done properly. Also you can use the former damage as a bargaining tool in your negotiations and possibly save yourself thousands over another. If it's a good deal and drives and looks fine, it could make for a great driver and fun car. Just something to think about.

If you did decide to go with the original car, ensure you look it over very carefully in the accident area. They can do wonders today in the automotive repair business if done properly. Also you can use the former damage as a bargaining tool in your negotiations and possibly save yourself thousands over another. If it's a good deal and drives and looks fine, it could make for a great driver and fun car. Just something to think about.

If an insurance claim was filed the 'red accident' box is checked on autocheck... I searched on autocheck and it confirms that 'minor' accident could mean exactly that and also no frame damage, no airbag deployment and no major claim was paid on car. Totally confusing to me but I don't want to dismiss a car for something this minor. Like you said, it's a bargaining chip as well and it is certified by Ford for any repairs. If I do go forward on this one I will hire an independent shop to inspect and confirm that it's in good working order.

Thanks for the advice.