TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Best Wake Up Start Method After 5 Months Of Hibernation

Crusty

My 2014 Shelby GT500 has been hibernating for almost 5 months now and was wondering if any of you have recommendations on the best method to follow before I crank it up. This extremely cold and long winter here in Quebec will most likely be over in 3 weeks and I'm getting anxious to jump back in that beast and hear the sound of those quad pipes roar and the supercharger wine!!!

Before winter storage, here's how I prepped the beast:

- Heated 18 degrees Celsius garage

- Fresh oil and filter

- Topped up 94 octane fuel in the tank

- Rolled the car on 2 inch styrofoam pads(to avoid tire flat spots)

- Battery has been plugged to a trickle charger since end of October 2014

- Ok let me come clean, I would weekly go admire the car for a few minutes over the winter months...lol

So before I crank it up for 2015 I'd love to hear what to do and not to do from our great Team Shelby members.

Thank you all in advance!

When my 07SGT goes into hibernation, sta-bil in gas tank, top it off, generic dryer sheets strategically placed in car, trunk, and under hood, disconnect negative battery cable. When it's time for the wake-up, remove all dryer sheets, re-connect the negative cable and fire it up, let it idle for a bit, then ready to roll!

Edited by stngfever

When my 07SGT goes into hibernation, sta-bil in gas tank, top it off, generic dryer sheets strategically placed in car, trunk, and under hood, disconnect negative battery cable. When it's time for the wake-up, remove all dryer sheets, re-connect the negative cable and fire it up, let it idle for a bit, then ready to roll!

+1

My 2014 Shelby GT500 has been hibernating for almost 5 months now and was wondering if any of you have recommendations on the best method to follow before I crank it up. This extremely cold and long winter here in Quebec will most likely be over in 3 weeks and I'm getting anxious to jump back in that beast and hear the sound of those quad pipes roar and the supercharger wine!!! Before winter storage, here's how I prepped the beast: - Heated 18 degrees Celsius garage - Fresh oil and filter - Topped up 94 octane fuel in the tank - Rolled the car on 2 inch styrofoam pads(to avoid tire flat spots) - Battery has been plugged to a trickle charger since end of October 2014 - Ok let me come clean, I would weekly go admire the car for a few minutes over the winter months...lol So before I crank it up for 2015 I'd love to hear what to do and not to do from our great Team Shelby members. Thank you all in advance!

Did you mean a Battery Tender or battery charger? Be careful if it is a battery charger as they can boil away the acid leaving only a build up of gas. One of our Mustang club members left a battery charger hooked up, when he stored his car (65 Mustang ) when hooked it up & went to fire it up, it blew the casing to pieces denting his hood & a piece cut his buddies cheek ,who was standing by the car.

Edited by shelby001

Did you mean a Battery Tender or battery charger? Be careful if it is a battery charger as they can boil away the acid leaving only a build up of gas. One of our Mustang club members left a battery charger hooked up when he stored his car (65 Mustang ) when hooked it up & went fire it up it blew the casing to pieces denting his hood & a piece cut his buddies cheek who was standing by the car.

I agree watch out and make sure that it's a battery maintainer vs a trickle charger!

On the old cars I used to take the distributor out and prime the oil pump with a drill. That would get the oil flowing through the engine before starting it. But not sure if that can be done anymore. Just start it and go, +1 take it easy until reaching operating temperature.

I run mine once a month during the winter, back it up a little, forward a little, etc. to keeps things a bit more ready for that glorious spring day.

Did you mean a Battery Tender or battery charger? Be careful if it is a battery charger as they can boil away the acid leaving only a build up of gas. One of our Mustang club members left a battery charger hooked up, when he stored his car (65 Mustang ) when hooked it up & went to fire it up, it blew the casing to pieces denting his hood & a piece cut his buddies cheek ,who was standing by the car.

Yes, it is in fact a battery tender. But thanks for all the warnings, you never know. Cheers!

If my GT500 has been sitting for an extended period of time I will hold the throttle to the floor and crank the engine for approximately 5-10 seconds. Then wait 5-10 seconds and I'll repeat for about 3 cycles. The car won't fire and it allows the oil to circulate through the motor. Also just take it easy until everything gets up to full operating temps.

I started mine last Saturday. I've had a battery tender on it since November. It has been so cold here that the battery was still drained. I used a battery charger on it for an hour or so and started it. It's back in the garage. There is still about two feet of snow on the ground and potholes everywhere!

Pete

Mine is sitting on jack stands in the heated garage with a battery maintainer on it as well. But I also live here in Quebec and think it is still gonna be a while before 1, The snow is gone and 2, All of the salt and loose dirt is off the road. Never the less I am counting the minutes as well.

410, I think you got a strong point. What I plan to do and what I've done in the past is to wait until the highways are clean enough to get out and got for a long drive heading south of the border for the day. Keeps the waiting pain away and gets that "wanna hit the road rush" out of my body. Usually, no harm to the car and paint.

Well let me know when you hit the road and hopefully we can make a run of it. I live right on the border and am always driving the Adirondack Mountains. Just this thread makes me wanna get the car off the stands and ready to go!

Mine is in cold storage setting on Race ramp flat stoppers, battery out and nice and toasty in the basement. Living in VT I don't expect with the 2 feet of snow still on the ground that I'll be out much before May. I also have a paint warranty issue on my 14 that the Dealer says is going to take 2 weeks to fix after I first pull it out of storage. Hey 410 & Crusty....where in Canada eh? Used to run north of the border all the time....was the only place I could get decent Molson...sometimes on 89 and sometimes 2 from Alburg.

If my GT500 has been sitting for an extended period of time I will hold the throttle to the floor and crank the engine for approximately 5-10 seconds. Then wait 5-10 seconds and I'll repeat for about 3 cycles. The car won't fire and it allows the oil to circulate through the motor. Also just take it easy until everything gets up to full operating temps.

Oil won't circulate through the motor with the starter. I'm currently working on a 2k gt with a fresh mmr 900 5.3 stroker, kenne bell at 20# trick flow heads etc and right in the startup instructions it says that a Ford modular will not build oil pressure with just the starter motor. Mine sits for 8 months at a time and I just Fire it and take it easy on first tank of gas. Been doing that with all my cars for years. No issues

I am just on the North side of the border from Chateaugay NY. I am about an hour fourty five from Burlington or about an hour from Plattsburgh.

Keep checking the forum TS Ontario Region we will be having some get together s& events , love to meet you guys.

Just fired my 08 up yesterday.. Since Oct .. new oil/filter ..filled up 93+stablizer ..disconnected the neg battery connect.... Yesterday hooked battery back up ..Turned key to ON ..waited 2 mins..then fired her up....NO PROBLEM ... Shelby is gone to Billet Pro Shop for custom cams and much more....

What do the dryer sheets do?

Repel rats and mice and other things that like to live inside your car. Moth balls work too and last longer.

Neither of these have worked for me, still had mice in my `65 one year on top of that moth smell is hard to eliminate from the interior . Maybe the mice a tougher around this area. :)

Hi everyone, finally I cranked it up this past Wednesday and went through these steps:

1 - unplugged the battery tender unit

2 - put the key in ignition and made sure nothing was on(climate control, radio, and headlights)

3 - floored the gas pedal before cranking(Freakshow12 recommendation and other from past other posts)

4 - turn the key to crank the engine for about 3-5 seconds and paid attention to oil pressure gage reading. Repeated this step 3 times and oil pressure message said, "Normal".

5 - removed foot off the gas pedal and let it rip(what a sound!!!) That's when you realize how long 5 months is.

Only thing I realized was the supercharger was louder than usual for the first 5 minutes and some small flakes of rusty colour came out of the exhaust when I was whining the engine. Could it be some muffler or exhaust tubing rust built over the winter season although the garage was heated? My shelby is only two years old.

And yes, it would be nice to set up a meet sometime in April south of the border, Either Plattsburgh or Burlington to parade a couple of hundred miles together and get these bad boys some springtime whines. Any suggestions where and when?

Oil won't circulate through the motor with the starter. I'm currently working on a 2k gt with a fresh mmr 900 5.3 stroker, kenne bell at 20# trick flow heads etc and right in the startup instructions it says that a Ford modular will not build oil pressure with just the starter motor. Mine sits for 8 months at a time and I just Fire it and take it easy on first tank of gas. Been doing that with all my cars for years. No issues

All the starter is doing is turning the engine's reciprocating assembly over which I would suspect the oil pump is part of. With the pump spinning why wouldn't oil not be pumped throughout the engine before actually firing the engine up? If what you state is true then how is the oil pump activated? I'm not stating saying that this achieves full operating pressure, only that oil is circulated to the top of the engine before you finally start it.

All the starter is doing is turning the engine's reciprocating assembly over which I would suspect the oil pump is part of. With the pump spinning why wouldn't oil not be pumped throughout the engine before actually firing the engine up? If what you state is true then how is the oil pump activated? I'm not stating saying that this achieves full operating pressure, only that oil is circulated to the top of the engine before you finally start it.

Cranking the engine over with the starter would not be enough r.p.m to generate any amount of oil pressure to cicculate through the engine . Why not just start it up the oil pressure is almost instant once you start it.

Cranking the engine over with the starter would not be enough r.p.m to generate any amount of oil pressure to cicculate through the engine . Why not just start it up the oil pressure is almost instant once you start it.

This is not true. If you can prevent the engine from starting cranking the engine with the starter will cause oil pressure to rise. In fact, the Ford GT, being a dry sump engine, requires this after an oil change. It even has a mode: Press accelerator to the floor, turn on key, crank engine until oil pressure is normal.

This is not true. If you can prevent the engine from starting cranking the engine with the starter will cause oil pressure to rise. In fact, the Ford GT, being a dry sump engine, requires this after an oil change. It even has a mode: Press accelerator to the floor, turn on key, crank engine until oil pressure is normal.

Interesting , but again getting back to our cars whats the advantage , why not just fire it up & let it idle./