TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Normal Tire Pressure In 2014 Gt500?

Maybe a silly question and I may have missed it if discussed before, but what air pressure are you all running in the OEM Goodyear G1 Supercar tires. Says 51 max on tire, but dealer suggests 32 lb. What say you? More pressure for track use? Less for normal driving? Just got car so haven't had time to figure some of this stuff out yet. Much appreciated! Russ

Russ,

Congratulations and welcome aboard. You can't go wrong complying with the recommended tire pressure for your tires with regard to daily driving/cruising. The tire pressure is listed for both front and back tires on the decal attached to the driver's side door frame. As I don't track my car, I'll defer to the hot shoes to give you insight into that set up.

Good luck with your ride.

Quinn

Maybe a silly question and I may have missed it if discussed before, but what air pressure are you all running in the OEM Goodyear G1 Supercar tires. Says 51 max on tire, but dealer suggests 32 lb. What say you? More pressure for track use? Less for normal driving? Just got car so haven't had time to figure some of this stuff out yet. Much appreciated! Russ

I run mine right at 35psi, but really isn't going to make that much of a difference anyways because these tires spin like crazy with any temperatures under 70 degrees.

What kind of track are you taking your car to?

Thanks for the replies folks. No real plans for any track time, but as retired now you never know where you will end up with the car!! Quinn, that is a beautiful Shelby and you can tell you take very good care of it! Russ

51 max is not a suggested psi..that's 35= I run my pilots at 30 psi to get a little softer ride

much better traction than good years.I thought thevgyers were unsafe actually

That is the truth. The Goodyears are downright horrendous.

• 2 weeks later...

How ironic how Shelby chose to go with a MPSS tire one their new 2015 GT350. Seems like they realized that their choice of GYF1 was a terrible choice for 2013-2014's GT500. Unfortunately I had to go out and spend 1400$ to get me a reasonable tires(Michelin Pilot A/S) in order to enjoy the 630lbs of RWHP. I'm actually thinking of bringing this issue up with Ford Canada. After taking delivery of this vehicle and having spent 1400$ of A/S tires I'm actually wondering if they have the right to deliver a vehicle in this super cold country with summer season tires, safety issues. To be continued...

How ironic how Shelby chose to go with a MPSS tire one their new 2015 GT350. Seems like they realized that their choice of GYF1 was a terrible choice for 2013-2014's GT500. Unfortunately I had to go out and spend 1400$ to get me a reasonable tires(Michelin Pilot A/S) in order to enjoy the 630lbs of RWHP. I'm actually thinking of bringing this issue up with Ford Canada. After taking delivery of this vehicle and having spent 1400$ of A/S tires I'm actually wondering if they have the right to deliver a vehicle in this super cold country with summer season tires, safety issues. To be continued...

To be clear, the choice of Goodyear Eagle F1s on 2013-2014 GT500s was Ford's decision, not Shelby's. (Shelby American smartly upgraded to Michelin Pilot Super Sports on their Super Snake conversion package.)

The choice of Michelin Pilot Super Sports on 2015 GT350s is again Ford's, not Shelby's. (They seem to have broken the code that MPSS are superior to F1s for most of their customers.)

There are a LOT of us right there with you, so I wish you the best of luck in addressing this issue with Ford.

Since Shelby industries and or Licensing at the Shelby Goodyear Tire distributorship in Gardena, CA may have had a strong influence on the 2011-14 GT350 and other Shelby American licensed vehicles tire choices. I have had no trouble with the Goodyear F1 on my 2011 GT350, on the road, in major rain storms, on the road course (but not pushed to the limit), in traffic, through pothole streets or highways. I am aware of better tires but am always looking for the best run flat performance tire options. :cool:

Archived