TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ca Smog

07SGT5011

I know this has been talked about before and I have read through the post. Took my car to get smogged today and it did not pass visual inspection. Guys tells me that the sticker under the hood says it has an egr and and this car doesn't. Any ideas on this? I talked to Shelby and they emailed me a picture of a different sticker than I have. But I am not sure if the smog guy is going to believe me when I show him a piece of paper and tell him this is what Shelby sent me.

I know this has been talked about before and I have read through the post. Took my car to get smogged today and it did not pass visual inspection. Guys tells me that the sticker under the hood says it has an egr and and this car doesn't. Any ideas on this? I talked to Shelby and they emailed me a picture of a different sticker than I have. But I am not sure if the smog guy is going to believe me when I show him a piece of paper and tell him this is what Shelby sent me.

You need to call them and get the correct sticker, not a photograph of one. It has to be affixed to the vehicle.

You need to call them and get the correct sticker, not a photograph of one. It has to be affixed to the vehicle.

Yep. And it's been done a few other times already. Apparently the correct sticker wasn't affixed at SA when the upgrade was done (if I remember correctly).

Shelby is aware of the issue. If the smog tech doesn't believe you, take it somewhere else.

Phill

Unless things have changed there is no law that the emission label be on the car. Think about how many hoods are replaced due to car accidents, do you really think that the body shop is ordering a emission label as part of the repair? Emission labels are in the smog machines database if the tech really needs to refer to one.

In fact I have a CA smog check test report in front of me and nowhere does it have a pass/fail for any labels. Now I agree the OP is in a tough spot because he has an incorrect label on the car that the smog tech can't get past even though a competent tech would know that he can ignore an incorrect label. For example what if the OP wrecked his car and put a Mustang hood from a V6 car on the Shelby, would the smog check fail him because his hood says V6 but the car has a V8?

The point I'm trying to make is that the smog technician was incorrect in failing the car. The OP could take this up with a referee center who would pass the car and hopefully school the technician that failed him.

If I was the OP I would find another smog station or visit a referee.

Steve

Found the following on a CA Smog Check website:

The Underhood Emission Label

The federal government requires vehicle manufactures to place this label in the vehicle's engine compartment. Normally it will be located on the bottom panel of the hood. It will look very similar to the one pictured below. This label will allow you to determine which emission components your vehicle is required to have.

Missing Label: Your vehicle will NOT fail the smog inspection if the Emissions Label is missing. Many vehicles have had there hood's replaced and as a result may have lost their original Emissions Label.

I cannot add anything about the issue at hand, however, I am impressed, and thankful for, the many voices who stepped up with resolution. Makes me feel good to see this kind of support.

Thank you all, be safe.

Call up JBA performance in San Diego area. They might help you out.

This whole thread reassures why i want to put a Kansas plate on my car for sure.

Archived