TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need Help With Cooling System Upgrades

cbrbear

Ok going to start out with a little rant but I need some help. My car (2014 GT500) has been sitting in a shop now for near 2 weeks. I am running into problem after problem with it.

Problem 1. Hawk brake pad part numbers are incorrect so they sent me 4 piston pads vice 6... finally got that resolved and they are overnighting me pads but didnt select saturday delivery so now I wont get them till monday and only way to fix is for the sender to call fed ex and request saturday delivery even though its priority overnight shipping.....

Problem 2. Baer stainless steel brake lines, ordered front and rear however only received rear... front brake lines are out of stock for a month... found a set elsewhere, shipped overnight... once again wont get till monday due to they didnt select saturday delivery....

Problem 3. Samco hose kit.... supposed to be delivered 19 Feb.... no update... wont even go into the fact that it took over 2 months of bugging samco and calling every distributor in the book including SA who claims they can only get blue even though Samco themselves said they can order any color... samco finally contacted me and put me in contact with someone, who happens to be in canada, to finally take my order.

Problem 4. Ordered cervini hood 5 Jan, states 4-6 weeks to ship and 2-5 days shipping. I call them on week 6 day 1 as nothing was updated in the link to track and they claim hood wont be done till Mar 5 then needs a few days to cure before it ships getting it to me mid march...

Problem 5. Installed C&R radiator, heat exchanger and C&R reservoirs... Supercharger reservoir (drivers side) when mounted squishes my main radiator hose between radiator and water pump between reservoir and intercooler pump electrical connection and mounting bracket.

Problems 1-4 will work themselves out in just a little time however problem 5 is nothing but dead ends. I talk with everyone involved from manufacture to distributor and end up with relying on SA to get an answer... several days have gone by, I even got in touch with Gary Patterson who said to call Keith. Ive called several times and left messages with Keith with no return calls. Ive managed to find people who have done just the reservoirs and one 2013 SS as from my understanding has the same exact cooling set up as what I now have installed but am not finding the solution. So my car has sat since last week tuesday looking for a solution. Anyone out there have any suggestions? Cutting the hose is out of the question as im not going to cut my samco hoses to make it fit. SA has to be encountering the same problem with every 2013/4 SS they build or know of the fix. Any help? Im quickly running out of time....

tank.jpg

tank2.jpg

Give C. Van Collier (aka Van) at Revan Racing a call.

He is the person that did all of the initial R&D and Production on the C&R radiators and heat exchangers, plus much of the work on the reservoir tanks for the early GT500's.

If anyone can answer you questions, it is Van.

Personally, I've never seen that issue pop up before. Double check your application and make sure you have the right tanks. The early version ('07-'10) are different than the later ('11-'14) due to hose nipple differences. I'm wondering if maybe you got one of the early versions....

Phill

Thanks for the response... I bought them from Van, already verified they are correct, and he is at a loss and is waiting on SA for an answer to what they do as well.....

Weird! I'm running Van's 2011-2014 GT500 Engine Bay Reservoirs in my 2013, albeit with the stock radiator and heat exchanger, and have no fitment issues.

Yeah it has to do with changing the heat exchanger and radiator... gotta be causing SA the same problem with the supersnakes but even so http://www.shelbystore.com/Extreme-Duty-Reservoir-Tank-p/z12-gt5-hpa001c.htm says they are the perfect compliment to the extreme duty heat exchanger and radiator so there has to be some trick, fix, something that prevents this issue. I have a hard time believing my car is some how special and requires a mod to work while no others do.

Did you buy the set for the STOCK cooling system or for the EXTREME DUTY cooling system?

I see SPP shows two different sets, one for each.

Phill

C&R only makes one set up and these are all C&R components. There were issues at first with the fitment of th reservoirs on the 13/14 models that required modification to hoses and routing but thats long resolved and only one option is availae for the 13/14.

C&R only makes one set up and these are all C&R components. There were issues at first with the fitment of th reservoirs on the 13/14 models that required modification to hoses and routing but thats long resolved and only one option is availae for the 13/14.

Ya might wanna look again.....

SA-GT5-HPA001C-1.jpg
GT500 Cooling Reservoir Set (2013-2014)
Retail Price: $550.00btn_addtocart_small.gif
Applications:

• GT500 (2013-2014)
Notes: Includes Cooling Reservoir & Super Charger Reservoir

Availability: Usually Ships in 2 to 3 Business Days

GT500 Cooling Reservoir Set

These bare aluminum tanks are direct replacements to the factory tanks

Coolant tank holds

Supercharger tank holds Bullet_MoreInfo.gif

Z12-GT5-HPA001C-1.jpg
Extreme Duty Coolant Reservoir Tanks for Stock GT500 (2013-2014)
Retail Price: $550.00btn_addtocart_small.gif
Applications:

• Shelby GT500 (2013-2014)
Notes: This is a new version that bolts in and has hose attachments to

match the stock GT500 positions. No hose rerouting or cutting necessary

Our

2-piece coolant reservoir tank complements the Shelby Extreme Duty

Radiator and Heat Exchanger. Each reservoir is hand made from the

highest quality aluminum available and is offered in a natural finish Bullet_MoreInfo.gif

Phill

I know what your saying and ive had several phone conversations with those involved in the development, there were issues from the start when using them on the 13/14 you can see the threads here on this forum and svt performance forum. after some initial problems they were redesigned to work without modification. the issue i am having has nothing to do with those initial problems. The other thing that may be a factor I did not think about is the fact that I am running the bmr k member which has lowered my engine about 1/2. so between the slightly thicker radiator (about 1 inch) the lowered engine so where the hose attaches to the water pump is lower and the bigger tank some how things just dont line up right. Looking at the stock configuration though the hose has anti chaffing sleeve on it and is laying against the reservoir but not mashed up against it and the intercooler pump electrical connection.

Right now i am faced with 3 options unless someone has another solution.

option 1: cut hose and sleeve it so its extended about 1- 2 inches which should alleviate the pinching however when my samco hoses come I dont want to do this.

option 2: keep stock reservoir which would look kinda stupid under the hood with everything else.

option 3: modify C&R reservoir by cutting a section out of the back of the tank and welding in a radius'd triangular section to allow the hose to lay in its correct path without pinching. This would decrease the capacity of the tank slightly however wouldnt require cutting samco hoses and would allow the hose to lay properly without any unnecessary rubbing/pinching of the hose which could cause cooling problems.

I had the same problems with this setup on my 2007. Guess they haven't figured it out yet. As you noted, the C&R radiator is thicker than the stock one and moves everything closer to the engine. I had to make numerous small adjustments to get the C&R to fit. In the case of the lower hose, I trimmed some off the end where it connects to the engine. You have to be careful as that puts the hose closer to the belts/pulleys. I also enlarged the front of the slot in the radiator shroud for the mounting tab on the bottom of the reservoir. I installed a piece of sliced vacuum tubing on the rear edge of the slot. That pushes the reservoir as far forward as it will go. You can slightly elongate the reservoir upper mounting hole to move the top of the reservoir forward. You might be able to trim some of the shroud to get the reservoir forward a little. I couldn't get enough clearance with just one modification. I had to make several small changes that combined to give adequate clearance. I used the Canton reservoirs. There might be an advantage to them as they have a rounded bent edge where the reservoir would contact the hose. It looks like the C&R might have a weld at that edge. An advantage to the BMR K member is the engine moves around less so you don't need as much clearance as stock. Despite the C&R radiator and many other cooling system modifications, my car still runs too hot.

The stock reservoir fits ok so for now im putting that back in then when my samco hoses show up im going to modify the c&r reservoir but cutting a channel in it and eliminate some of the corner. With this ill only have to make one change vice a bunch of small trim and cut and modify and tweak i can just be one and done. Though ny reservoir will be smaller its still more than oem and will still be astetically pleasing. As far as the car running hot i dont see how thats possible unless you have changed ur blower or pulleys where the blower is working harder and creating more heat

SO final word... i cant use the tank unless I want to modify my hoses or modify the tank. Apparently the tanks are meant for stock shelbys, they are also used on SS and GT1000's however extensive hose work is included and since i have samco hoses i cant use my supercharger reservoir unless I want to modify hoses so ive decided to just modify the tank after I get back from the bash. but on a good note hoses showed up today! I didnt take any great pictures but nice maroon red color with black logos!!!!

11004340_10153240338570832_850715294_n.jpg

Archived