TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is The Ss Shifter Gen 1 Mgw Or Gen 2?

Gen 1 is a Scott Drake and Shelby American collaboration (and top notch). I believe gen 2 is Barton, but not 100% sure.

I think (but am not sure) that the black shifter currently available through SPP is also Scott Drake, but an updated version from the blue Gen.1?

The Barton shifter has a different look from the black shifter that is currently offered through SPP, if this is the same optional shifter that is installed in the Super Snake, as was the case with the original blue shifter.

If I remember correctly, the picture shown below is a Barton and oem comparison...........

DSC029261.jpg

R

I'm not 100% certain if was the original SS shifter but their main shifter was Scott Drake Gen I and the Gen II (Scott Drake as well)was supposed to be an improvement as there were many complaints regarding the Gen I.

I bought the Gen II for my 2010 GT500 and had an ongoing post somewhere in the forum from installation on and I had nothing but issues

with noise, vibration, hard shifting especially spring and fall when it was colder.

After all the expense of purchase, shipping and installation I finally had enough and last summer bought the Barton shifter and had it installed.

I only used it about a month last year but it was an amazing improvement over the Drake shifter so I have dropped almost $2K on

purchasing, removing and replacing shifters over 2 years which sucks.

If I had my time back since I don't really race the vehicle, I have seen some very good posts on what some have done with the original

factory shifters to improve the rubbery feel and shifting without spending a lot of money and apparently it works quite well.

By installing a couple of bushings if I recall correctly or spacers it makes a huge improvement.

Some have gone to the KR shifter which again is cheap and better feel and shifting than the base GT500 but I think they further modify

those.

Search is your friend and there are some very helpful people here.

I'm not 100% certain if was the original SS shifter but their main shifter was Scott Drake Gen I and the Gen II (Scott Drake as well)was supposed to be an improvement as there were many complaints regarding the Gen I.

I bought the Gen II for my 2010 GT500 and had an ongoing post somewhere in the forum from installation on and I had nothing but issues

with noise, vibration, hard shifting especially spring and fall when it was colder.

After all the expense of purchase, shipping and installation I finally had enough and last summer bought the Barton shifter and had it installed.

I only used it about a month last year but it was an amazing improvement over the Drake shifter so I have dropped almost $2K on

purchasing, removing and replacing shifters over 2 years which sucks.

If I had my time back since I don't really race the vehicle, I have seen some very good posts on what some have done with the original

factory shifters to improve the rubbery feel and shifting without spending a lot of money and apparently it works quite well.

By installing a couple of bushings if I recall correctly or spacers it makes a huge improvement.

Some have gone to the KR shifter which again is cheap and better feel and shifting than the base GT500 but I think they further modify

those.

Search is your friend and there are some very helpful people here.

Wow, sorry you've had that experience. I know they change the shifter in the signature super snake but want sure which they used. If I was staying stock, changing the bushings may have made sense. In truth the stock shifter doesn't bother me much, the stock clutch...well that's another story.

Anybody know which generation MGW shifter SAI is using on the Super Snake?

Shelby American started using the MGW (Gen1) shifter at least a couple of years back. I know that a friends 2012 GT500 had the MGW Gen1 shifter installed as OE (not a upgrade or option) on his Super Snake he bought brand new and drop shipped directly to SA in......2011??? His was one of the first (early production) 2012's made and I saw his build sheet which included the MGW shifter.

I can't say whether or not SA is using Gen1 or Gen2 MGW's but I have to *assume* that they are using the newest, latest/greatest that MGW offers, the Gen2 version. That is of course, provided they haven't recently change something and are still using MGW's.

Shelby American hasn't used Drake products for years now, at least according the guys at Drake I talked to last summer at the MCA 50th in Las Vegas.

For a more definitive answer on Gen1 vs Gen2, I'd suggest you just give Shelby a call and ask. I think Gary Patterson is the guy to talk to now (relating to Super Snake builds).

HTH,

Phill Pollard

Shelby American started using the MGW (Gen1) shifter at least a couple of years back. I know that a friends 2012 GT500 had the MGW Gen1 shifter installed as OE (not a upgrade or option) on his Super Snake he bought brand new and drop shipped directly to SA in......2011??? His was one of the first (early production) 2012's made and I saw his build sheet which included the MGW shifter.

I can't say whether or not SA is using Gen1 or Gen2 MGW's but I have to *assume* that they are using the newest, latest/greatest that MGW offers, the Gen2 version. That is of course, provided they haven't recently change something and are still using MGW's.

Shelby American hasn't used Drake products for years now, at least according the guys at Drake I talked to last summer at the MCA 50th in Las Vegas.

For a more definitive answer on Gen1 vs Gen2, I'd suggest you just give Shelby a call and ask. I think Gary Patterson is the guy to talk to now (relating to Super Snake builds).

HTH,

Phill Pollard

My original post on the Drake shifter was deleted but here is someone else that had the same issue.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/83167-shelby-shifter-noise/

Not sure when they changed to the MGW but it was only about three years ago I bought mine and it was a Drake Gen II this post is from

November 2013

to the best of my knowledge the Shelby S7M-7210-C was the Drake AR3Z-7210-F6 which was discontinued in 2013

ahh, well that was the Gen II. the Gen I that I have is part number 7S3Z-7210-F6 and it works exceptionally well. not sure why it was discontinued by SAI, but it's much better than the FRPP shifters for 07-09 (my model year).

Yours is the Gen 1 which is Blue framed? If so, I have never heard any bad replies about that shifter either. The Blue Gen 1 Scott Drake with the "optional" shifter offered for the 2007-2009 but I have not seen it listed in any of the earlier 2007-2009 brochures and I'm not sure at what point the Blue Gen 1 was replaced by the Black Gen 2, but like I mentioned above, these SPP Gen 1's and 2's that we are talking about were both Scott Drake.

At what point the Gen2 SD was replaced by the Gen 1 MGW as part of the Super Snake build? not sure..............

I did some further digging into my Shelby Super Snake information.................

The earliest 2010 brochure mentions an "optional Billet short throw shifter", but "short throw shifter" (not billet) is the standard install item...............

005_zpstkivjw7w.jpg

Then in these two different 2010 Super Snake brochures the Billet short throw shifter is listed as a standard install item..............

004_zpsesxpfdhs.jpg

003_zpsf3agoibg.jpg

and then the more current 2010 brochure, and the more current 2007-2009 brochure both list the Billet short throw shifter as part of the standard build. <<I say "more current" brochure for these, but I also have a single Super Snake brochure that covers 2007-2014 standard features and options, so it may be "most current".

006_zpsbf2mgevp.jpg

010_zpsgiylgcjr.jpg

All of the different variations of the 2011/2012 and 2013 and 2013/2014 Super Snake brochures list the Billet short throw shifter as a standard item................so it looks like 2010 was when Billet first became a listed/advertised optional shifter to be chosen as part of the Super Snake build. I'm sure that specific brand names are left out for some items as they could change vendors at any point during the production of these cars.

R

yes, mine is the blue anodized one. i think i bought it in 2010 or maybe first half of 2011, right before it was discontinued. i believe it was the optional shifter for the early super snakes but i'm not 100% sure. they probably wrote it that way so they could swap out the product at will.

I've got one of those Blue shifters also, still on the box. I think I bought mine in 2009. At that time I believe the SPP catalog listed it as optional for the Super Snake, but I have not seen any of the 2007-2009 Super Snake brochures that list it as an option.

R

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

My 2012 SS has a Barton. My only complaint is shifting into 4th and 5th under hard acceleration could be better.

That Barton has a nice looking chrome handle with the Shelby name on the stick. I grabbed one of those when they were selling them through eBay..............Nice piece!

R

I upgraded my SS Barton to a second gen MGW. The MGW has a shorter throw than the Barton and smoother shifting on the street, but still some challenges getting into 5th under hard acceleration with a Spec super twin clutch.

I upgraded my SS Barton to a second gen MGW. The MGW has a shorter throw than the Barton and smoother shifting on the street, but still some challenges getting into 5th under hard acceleration with a Spec super twin clutch.

Great feedback. I will be installing a MGW 2 as well as a shifter bracket from Blowfish. I'm curious to see if that shift to 5th will become easier.

Archived