TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Intake for GT500 Help

Hey guys. I have done my research and I just want some things clarified about the JLT intake.

According to JLT's website, it says that you need a "tune" once buying the intake because of the MAF. Is it truly required? I'm just trying to help my dad out with his new GT500 and finding him simple bolt ons. It seems as if the intake will be best way to go to increase horsepower. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Hey guys. I have done my research and I just want some things clarified about the JLT intake.

According to JLT's website, it says that you need a "tune" once buying the intake because of the MAF. Is it truly required? I'm just trying to help my dad out with his new GT500 and finding him simple bolt ons. It seems as if the intake will be best way to go to increase horsepower. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

You MUST get the tune or you will detonate your engine to death! It's preferable to buy the package given that it's been tested together. I was able to work with my local tuner to dial in what worked best for me, but I've been working on modulars for quite some time. If you don't tune, the ECU will not know what to do with the increased air flow into the engine. To compensate, it will actually make your car run lean as dirt and severe engine damage WILL occur.

Regards,

Joseph (FordGeek)

Yes!! written in JLT's instructions, 'do not drive after the install without the tune' !!!

There is no intake on the market that truely does not require a tune. I know for a fact that the KN will make your car run very lean with no tune. I have a tune for the KN Intake and its very different than the stock intake tune.

I thought about making a tuneless intake, but it would just be too small and restrictive, the power gains would probably only be 10RWHP. Why bother when you can do an intake + tune and get 60-80RWHP.

Thanks for the replies. I understand it varies depending on the car. My car with Intake + Exhaust shows good A/F ratio. Thanks for your help, and I will be sure to let him know. I know he'll love that huge gain in HP. He just got it 2 days ago and I must say it's absolutely amazing. Very lucky to be an owner of this car.

Archived