TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need Some Experience Here

Snosourfur

Hey guys, I am soon going to buy headers and the ford racing oval throttlebody for my '14 shelby. I have seen alot of speculation as far as people tuning cars after installing a more efficient intake. I guess my question here is; do I absolutely NEED to tune my car after putting these parts on? Or is the tuning just to get maximum specs out of the installed parts? I have absolutely no experience with computerized tunes and am in the dark as far as what I should/need to do? please help! thank you !

Hey guys, I am soon going to buy headers and the ford racing oval throttlebody for my '14 shelby. I have seen alot of speculation as far as people tuning cars after installing a more efficient intake. I guess my question here is; do I absolutely NEED to tune my car after putting these parts on? Or is the tuning just to get maximum specs out of the installed parts? I have absolutely no experience with computerized tunes and am in the dark as far as what I should/need to do? please help! thank you !

Yes, you absolutely need a tune to keep a proper air/fuel ratio. You REALLY don't want to run a supercharged car in a lean condition.

ok thanks for the quick response, should the tunes be altered according to all of the new things I have placed on the car? for example after I put on the throttle body and the headers, I already have a better intake and magnaflow axelbacks, will the tuning company need to know about all mods done to the car before I have them provide me with a custom tune? (im ordering offline, thats why im asking) Not many well known shelby tuners in hawaii, at least that I am aware of

ok thanks for the quick response, should the tunes be altered according to all of the new things I have placed on the car? for example after I put on the throttle body and the headers, I already have a better intake and magnaflow axelbacks, will the tuning company need to know about all mods done to the car before I have them provide me with a custom tune? (im ordering offline, thats why im asking) Not many well known shelby tuners in hawaii, at least that I am aware of

Yes, the best tune you can get is from a reputable tuner on a dyno. That way, the car is tuned for it's own unique aspects. A "canned" tune (one ordered online from someone like Lund or VMP) for common mods to the car is usually good enough, but yes, they'll need to know ALL the mods done to the car to provide you with the proper tune.

It's less about someone who tunes Shelby's specifically and more about someone who has the best dynamometer and experience in understanding what variables to change on the car for maximum efficiency. If you happen to find a chassis dyno, they are typically the most accurate.

You definitely need a tune for the car to run w/ the oval TB, I had one on my previous 07 Shelby and they're a bitch to get tuned right. You mentioned that you have a more efficient intake, are you talking about a res delete or a larger JLT 123 or 127? If you have anything other than the res delete you should have a tune for that already otherwise your risking damaging a very expensive engine.

You definitely need a tune for the car to run w/ the oval TB, I had one on my previous 07 Shelby and they're a bitch to get tuned right. You mentioned that you have a more efficient intake, are you talking about a res delete or a larger A JLT 123 or 127? If you have anything other than the res delete you should have a tune for that already otherwise your risking damaging a very expensive engine.

He's right, if you're running anything other than a resonator delete I'd take it off or park that beast until I had a tune in hand. Your shelby came with wideband O2 sensors and actually has knock sensors unlike the 07-09 shelby so it can more accuratley detect issues and adjust af but it has its limits.

VMP and Lund have done nearly every combination of mod so that's where I would go. Having a dyno is great, assuming the operator has a clue. I've had dyno tuners break things and deny all responsibility. There are more hacks than qualified tuners out there in my opinion.

Archived