TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Driver Skills Then And Now

Bruce49

My goodness, how did we get to a WWII debate with this one?

Safe to say that it took a far more skillfull driver to safely put one of those old 60s jackass carts through the moves than it does to drive a current performance vehicle in a similar manner.

He started it.

Also back in the 60's the "jackass carts" weren't considered "jackass carts" they were cutting edge of the day.

Years from now there will likely be a 22nd century "Sideoiler" on some forum calling the performance cars of today "jackass carts".

Everything needs to be seen in context. In sum though it does take more skill to drive an "analog" car fast then one with all the high tech nannies and RE11's or R6's for shoes. Granted.

Good follow up Real One......AS for driving... There was a lot of ice racing on frozen lakes in my area those days/events proved invaluable to fellow racers when racing in the summer......To control 60's muscle cars with no power steering.. with drum brakes.... and suspension to kill your back TOOK ..guts which led to skill which led to for some professionally racing careers.... Remember... we do not know what we learned ..UNTILL You need to use what you learned. One thing for sure......Some youth have no idea what life would be like if it wasn't for the BRAVE and FREE SOULS who fought for our freedom that the Youth today takes for granted....But then .. should we expect more from them(youth)

So what you are saying validates my statement of fact. It takes more skill to aggressively pilot an old 60s heap than a light years more sophisticated performance vehicle of the 21st century. Thank You!

Your welcome I guess, however, I never disagreed with you on that specific issue.

Good follow up Real One......AS for driving... There was a lot of ice racing on frozen lakes in my area those days/events proved invaluable to fellow racers when racing in the summer......To control 60's muscle cars with no power steering.. with drum brakes.... and suspension to kill your back TOOK ..guts which led to skill which led to for some professionally racing careers.... Remember... we do not know what we learned ..UNTILL You need to use what you learned. One thing for sure......Some youth have no idea what life would be like if it wasn't for the BRAVE and FREE SOULS who fought for our freedom that the Youth today takes for granted....But then .. should we expect more from them(youth)

Thanks.

To answer your question....We should expect more from our teachers and parents.

Dada,

I'd usually back off and let you make an a$$ of yourself. But I can't resist... I am not from the greatest generation. That was my dad's generation. And even though he enlisted in the Army, he was given a medical discharge when they failed to notice he had polio at 16. Crippled up pretty good. He also had club feet. Still, he owned his own auto shop and gave us a very modest living. And it eventually killed him: gas fumes, asbestos poisoning, etc.

I am a veteran of eight years and also a Vietnam Nam vet with four tours to my credit. Both Tet offensives and the fall of Saigon. I managed to go back to school at 32 years of age and have two degrees. Im also pretty crippled up. Paralyzed my right leg. Tookmthe better part of a year and a lot of hard work to learn to walk again. But the scary part was a possibility thatni might not be able to drive a car ever again. THAT scared me.

There are two camps: people that buy a car to get from a to b. That's it. It's a means of transportation. And then there are people that have a true passion about cars. My first car was a 1954 Ford Fairlane. First year Ford used overhead valves instead of the flatheads.

Then a few Ramblers. Hey, don't knock 'em. The passenger seats went all the way back! Since then, a Fiat, a Jag XKE, a vanilla GT500, a Mercedes ML63, a Mach I, an MGB, a Dodge B200, etc, etc. Now I drive a KR. It's a multiple-year project for me until I can mimic what I had done to my previous GT500. With improvements since I know what worked and what didn't, I can take my time and do it better this time.

So, whether the US is intentionally doing what I call "the dumbing down of America" and compounding it by not producing a better grade of driver and not stomping down on inspection stations for allowing crap on the roads, we will continue to see more nanny features being imposed on us that really like to drive and want to feel engaged when behind the wheel.

Archived