TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Softer Shocks

Torched10

I know I'm a wimp but my car rides much harsher with My new pilots.ive run psi down to ,30.and its still riding very rough.do any of you folks have experience in putting a softer shock. I don't track the car. Do you think a softer shock Will make the car less stable. If you have experience what shock works best. Thanks

How does one adjust them. I'm at the age where crawling under cars doesn't work.I had air shocks on my gto (an option in 65) and all I would do is change air pressure as temps changed.I'll look their website for info thanks

Tokico D Specs acre what you may be looking for. They are infinitely adjustable.

I have run them on my cars for years, 5 turns out from full hard for the street and full hard on the road course.

They are a snap to adjust, especially if you use the optional rear remote adjusters,

Thanks that's what I was thinking..but they sell suspension stuff. Why would they tell me I can't use anything. Weird

I have been modifying these cars for years and have tried BMR products.

They had the worst customer service and when I installed their springs I took them off the same afternoon - horrible ride.

Properly inflated Michelins and good quality springs and shocks - your car should ride like a dream.

Thanks. What brand shocks would you suggest for softer ride.I'm down to 30. Psi and still ride us harsh.I think the Goodyear s weren't safe for me, but now it's safe but kills my back. im in a pickle

Tell me more about your suspension - what springs are you using?

Ok. Lots of time researching this whole shock thing. Got it down to koni str t or koni yellow. The yellow is adjustable. Have any of you folks put yellows on your car.how does ride compare to stock shocks.Thanks lots ps. Looks like koni fsd has the best ride but koni doesn't have one for gt,500

Koni STR.T (Orange) on my 2011. Very happy with price/performance + lifetime warrantee. I track about twice a year for fun...otherwise a DD.

At the end of the day, I didn't realistically see myself adjusting my shocks and struts for road course events. Since I mostly DD, I felt the STR.T would be the better 'all-purpose' choice - Install them and enjoy.

If you are more serious about track days, Koni Yellows or Tokico adjustable might be a better option.

There are no parts to make a GT500 ride better because it's a performance vehicle. You will only find upgrades to the stock parts to make it perform better which usually makes the car ride more harsh. If you truly want the softer ride, I recommend installing a take-off Mustang GT suspension (shocks and springs). The car will definitely ride smoother but will not be as safe because the suspension will not handle the capabilities of the car.

The ride on the goodyears was fine but for me unsafe. I mean I was loosing traction in 4th at ,65 mph inn highway.so the pilots eliminated that issue but the ride change was not expected. Of course after the fact I read revuews which was very critical on the ride of the pilots.

I've had a number of performance cars over the years including my current vette and an sts v.but they were all tolerable rides.if I can't solve this I'll just sell the car

The ride on the goodyears was fine but for me unsafe. I mean I was loosing traction in 4th at ,65 mph inn highway.so the pilots eliminated that issue but the ride change was not expected. Of course after the fact I read revuews which was very critical on the ride of the pilots.

I've had a number of performance cars over the years including my current vette and an sts v.but they were all tolerable rides.if I can't solve this I'll just sell the car

Which model Michelin do you have?

There might be an issue with a tire or tires on the set you have.

One of the GT350s I am involved with has Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The ride quality over the Goodyear Supercar Gen IIs (same as stock on you car) is an astounding improvement.

I know at least 5 others with the Super Sports and all rave about the ride improvement.

I would seek out either Michelin or Tirerack for technical assistance

Pilot super sports stock sizes..it's kind of like religious discussion on that what I feel as harsh others woukdv see as great.I'm gonna bring it back to my tire dealer and see if there's something wrong with tires

Talked with Michelin. Not very helpful.had tire shop look didn't find anything

now I'm wondering how the S/N suspension setting works.I've always had it on n but wondering if something May have Been disconnected during tire change.so how does it work ie thru a physical connection or thru the computer thanks

I called svt and they told me there's a physical connection from the cumputer to each shock.if one is disconnected they all go to sport mode.so I'll have that checked today btw svt have me my build number. Its the 750.Vert out of like 942. I'll also put it in sport mode to note the difference thanks for input..Bob

Well all shocks are connected and the tech told me itdvthrow a code if they were off sorry to make this thread so long.but couple more final questions.are there other settings that affect ride as well, eg launch control,steering. i did put suspension in sport mode and its even rougher so its working.thanks fur all comments and suggestions so far

Archived