TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Radio Switches

roseng

I've seen bare steering wheels for sale on eBay. They do not come loaded with any electronics/horn/switches/airbag, etc. This leads me to believe you can buy the radio switches, and install them. I don't think it would take a dealer more than 3 hrs to do this. I will look on some parts sites, and see if I'm correct.

The switch covers look to be available from Ford dealers. I checked AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake (was Tousley Ford) for the covers for my 2010 GT500 and the price they showed was $52.00 to $56.00 (with Nav, without Nav, etc.). From what I can see, the only hard part on replacing them would be if you ended up needing to remove the airbag to get the covers off.

Mark

Found this...doesn't seem all that hard.

Airbag Removal: http://blog.stangmods.com/installing-the-boss-302-alcantara-steering-wheel-in-10-13-mustangs/

Button Removal: http://blog.stangmods.com/swapping-steering-wheel-buttons-on-2010-2013-mustangs/

You should be able to use the same harness since you are replacing the exact same buttons.

I replaced my right-side buttons on my steering wheel, took me about 10 minutes

Awesome...and hey, I fly airplanes...

So we appreciate your insightful input...but can you be more specific and actually help us out? So did you follow the same instructions I posted? Or do something else?

Awesome...and hey, I fly airplanes...

So we appreciate your insightful input...but can you be more specific and actually help us out? So did you follow the same instructions I posted? Or do something else?

Hey dude, I thought it was clear since someone already posted the instructions. That's how you remove the airbag and then the buttons just pop out. No need to remove the clock spring or the wheel obviously. I was familiar with removing the wheel on my old 05 GT, but I watched this video just to make sure nothing had changed in my 2011.

Hope that helps, fly safely.

Hey dude, I thought it was clear since someone already posted the instructions. That's how you remove the airbag and then the buttons just pop out. No need to remove the clock spring or the wheel obviously. I was familiar with removing the wheel on my old 05 GT, but I watched this video just to make sure nothing had changed in my 2011.

Hope that helps, fly safely.

Perfect bro...thanks for the video...helps a lot. Plan on swapping mine out pretty soon.

• 3 weeks later...

I just did this. Ordered the part and replaced. I actually disconnected my battery. Didn't know if it was needed ; just felt safer for me. The tiny screws getting them back in were about 3 minutes of effort. When I pulled the worn out buttons off - to me, was a little unsettling as I thought I was exerting too much pressure. But it came out and the new piece just connects and snaps in. I was a little concerned as i changed to kenwood and maetro steering wheel controls -- but it was plug and play and after I connected the battery everything is perfect! The car is whole again!! I am 4th owner of this car so I keep my nails short and use my 'thumb' to exert more pressure as needed. I feel a longer nail or being haphazard or more abrupt in the button pressing are contributing factors to the quick demise of our buttons.

Archived