TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Which Octane?

roseng

Hello

"Despite what some people claim, there is nothing to be gained from running your vehicle on a higher octane petrol than that specified by the manufacturer."

What do you think about it? I am using 95 octane but most of my friends with Mustang cars use 98 octane. Is there any difference between octane quality between countries (ex: 95 in my country can be 98 in USA)?

Hello
"Despite what some people claim, there is nothing to be gained from running your vehicle on a higher octane petrol than that specified by the manufacturer."
What do you think about it? I am using 95 octane but most of my friends with Mustang cars use 98 octane. Is there any difference between octane quality between countries (ex: 95 in my country can be 98 in USA)?

I would assume that Europe and the US use different methods for determining octane rating. Here in the US, the highest octane we see at a petrol station is 93. Most of us have to live with 91 octane. IMHO: If I were in your shoes, I would run the 98 just to make sure I was not destroying anything internal in the engine.

Mark

There is no advantage to running higher octane than stated unless you have a tune to take advantage of it. It will not improve mileage, etc. Running lower can result in engine knock but most newer engine control systems have knock sensors and will adjust engine timing accordingly. This is essentially what happens with E85 capable vehicles since E85 is about 105 Octane (and less energy per unit volume, so they also increase fuel flow)

US measures the octane rating as (R+M)/2. If Europe uses that method (I don't know) you are best off with the vehicle manufacturer's recommendation.

Also, in the US there is a price difference between octane steps, I don't know if that is true in Europe.

Archived