TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ordered A Signature Super Snake

Its still the signature pack. But the are doing a lot more to the car. Its an extra package around 22k dollars so still not as expensive as the 1000 package, although now we have to go even more broke lol! But this car is a once in a lifetime opportunity so were gonna have fun with it anyway!!!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations on your car. I am sure you will really be happy with it.

Regarding the rear end, mine ('13 SS # 38) is a daily driver. I started with the original 3.23's but I found the car a nusance to drive In stop and go traffic You had to ride the clutch a lot to move in those slow traffic flows. It was a pain on the highway too. I drove the car x country twice. (got 22 mpg) You had to be going maybe 75 to use 6th gear. That was fine in west Texas but annoying in more civilized places. I switched to the 3.73's and that was a huge improvement. Slow moving useability is much improved and you can actually get it into 6th gear going 65 at about 1500 RPM. Frankly I am thinking about switching to 4.10's. The top 2 gears on this tranny are overdrive, so that's not as crazy as it might sound. As far as traction goes, with 850 HP it's going to be like driving on an icy pond no matter what you do. If you deck the car going 65 at 3,000 RPM you will have to be careful to stay in your own lane. But whatever you do, if you are going to change the gear ratio do it while the car is at Shelby. It will have to be retuned and the speedo reset and that is not the kind of job you want done by someone who doesn't know what he's doing. Good luck!

2013 SS, dark blue with white stripes, all GT500 options (plus power Recaros), 850HP/3.73 gears with optional seat upholstery. .

When I first got mine it was pretty intimidating, even though the car I had before it was a 540 HP 2009 KR. In fact it was so scary that I went out to Spring Mountain (45 minutes from LV) and paid a real race car driver for the day to teach me how to drive the thing. (It was well worth it. I learned a lot)

You read a lot of mararkey in the auto press about how cars like this are only good in a straight line. It may be true that if you can actually drive like Emerson Fittipaldi or Mario Andretti an IRS will actually make a difference to you. But as a mere mortal I can tell you that these things are glued to the track and can take a turn at a lot higher speed than I have the Moxie to try. I actually rented a new 5.0 Mustang recently for a month while I was waiting for replacement wheels for my car. I liked it, but it was like the difference between an anemic wimpy librarian and a sadistic MMA fighter.

Finally, I live in a building that is chock full of countless Ferraris and almost every high priced exotic you can think of. . ALL the valets love my car and say it is the baddest car in the building. And they are right. You will never be sorry you bought this thing and if you ever sell it I think you will really regret it.

When I first got mine it was pretty intimidating, even though the car I had before it was a 540 HP 2009 KR. In fact it was so scary that I went out to Spring Mountain (45 minutes from LV) and paid a real race car driver for the day to teach me how to drive the thing. (It was well worth it. I learned a lot)

You read a lot of mararkey in the auto press about how cars like this are only good in a straight line. It may be true that if you can actually drive like Emerson Fittipaldi or Mario Andretti an IRS will actually make a difference to you. But as a mere mortal I can tell you that these things are glued to the track and can take a turn at a lot higher speed than I have the Moxie to try. I actually rented a new 5.0 Mustang recently for a month while I was waiting for replacement wheels for my car. I liked it, but it was like the difference between an anemic wimpy librarian and a sadistic MMA fighter.

Finally, I live in a building that is chock full of countless Ferraris and almost every high priced exotic you can think of. . ALL the valets love my car and say it is the baddest car in the building. And they are right. You will never be sorry you bought this thing and if you ever sell it I think you will really regret it.

I'm hoping that driving my 2014 with the 662 hp and stock Goodyears will at least provide a stepping stone for 850hp. I've done a couple of suspension mods and I'm adding the Watts link so hopefully the car will handle okay. I do worry about traction trying to get that power to the ground. I'd like to avoid a drag radial and stick with the street tire but we'll see.

The signature edition comes with a track day so hopefully that'll help us get ourselves broken in.

The Super Snake is pretty cool because there aren't a lot of them and they have such a sweet exhaust note and an everyday man's appeal. You've got to respect the power even if you aren't a typical muscle car guy.

I'm hoping that driving my 2014 with the 662 hp and stock Goodyears will at least provide a stepping stone for 850hp. I've done a couple of suspension mods and I'm adding the Watts link so hopefully the car will handle okay. I do worry about traction trying to get that power to the ground. I'd like to avoid a drag radial and stick with the street tire but we'll see.

The signature edition comes with a track day so hopefully that'll help us get ourselves broken in.

The Super Snake is pretty cool because there aren't a lot of them and they have such a sweet exhaust note and an everyday man's appeal. You've got to respect the power even if you aren't a typical muscle car guy.

I'm still unsure about the track day. I brought it up to Frankie, and he said there would be the option to drive a SA car instead. For me the issue is 2 fold. Obviously we get the gear swap, but I am also getting a new clutch since mine is an 08. BOTH require break in time. Break em in at the track, I think not.

I'm still unsure about the track day. I brought it up to Frankie, and he said there would be the option to drive a SA car instead. For me the issue is 2 fold. Obviously we get the gear swap, but I am also getting a new clutch since mine is an 08. BOTH require break in time. Break em in at the track, I think not.

I agree. Frankie said the gears come broken in but I'd never heard that before. He did say I could use a SA car and I think I'll take them up on that so I can do a slow break in of the gears. I'm just hoping they have a 850hp SS that we can use because it'll have a far different feel than the new Shelby GT.

A lot on this seems a little fly by the seat of the pants. I don't know what to think if it.

I agree. Frankie said the gears come broken in but I'd never heard that before. He did say I could use a SA car and I think I'll take them up on that so I can do a slow break in of the gears. I'm just hoping they have a 850hp SS that we can use because it'll have a far different feel than the new Shelby GT.

A lot on this seems a little fly by the seat of the pants. I don't know what to think if it.

They gave me specific instructions on breaking in my new gears when I picked up my SS. First 200-250 miles I think.

Hopefully whatever car they let you drive on the track will have the same or relatively similar options that you picked for your car. Either way, a non-perfect day at the track is way better than a good day stuck in the snow-pocalypse.

• 1 month later...

I also landed a Signature Series at the end of January due to a buyer backing out. Mine is #30 and is White with Azure Blue stripe. I'm told this is the only one with this color combination in the Signature Series so it will be a one of a kind production. Excited for everyone who bought in to this opportunity.

I also landed a Signature Series at the end of January due to a buyer backing out. Mine is #30 and is White with Azure Blue stripe. I'm told this is the only one with this color combination in the Signature Series so it will be a one of a kind production. Excited for everyone who bought in to this opportunity.

Very cool! If you get pics during production please share. It's a very cool transformation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some more pics

Uh oh....

When did they start "cheaping out" on the rocker decals?

It used to be you could tell a "Fake Snake" from a genuine Super Shake by the rocker decals.

The genuine product would say "GT500 Super Snake" (with the "Super Snake" following the GT500 on BOTH sides) instead of "Super Snake GT500" on the pass. side.

It required two different decals, one for the right side and a different one for the left side. Now, they use the same decal for both sides.

What's up with THAT???

Phill

Uh oh....

It used to be you could tell a "Fake Snake" from a genuine Super Shake by the rocker decals.

The genuine product would say "GT500 Super Snake" (with the "Super Snake" following the GT500 on BOTH sides) instead of "Super Snake GT500" on the pass. side.

It required two different decals, one for the right side and a different one for the left side. Now, they use the same decal for both sides.

What's up with THAT???

Phill

I just thought they were trying to keep symmetry. Also, the way the above posters car is requires two different decals. The way you describe is only a single decal applied to both sides.

1) Perhaps the issue was with the decal? The small letters on my '12 started lifting within the "Super Snake". I would think if the smaller letters were leading directly behind the wheel, they may be more susceptible to lifting?

2) Perhaps on the earlier versions they just printed the entire side stripe in one decal and cut out the leading portion so that way it was laid out stayed the same? Maybe now they print them in 2 or 3 separate portions (front corner, rear, door) instead of the entire side?

Fake snake, that's funny chit! lol They have been doing it for at least 2 years.

Uh oh....

What's up with THAT???

Phill

I just looked at the brochures. It appears they've always been as the photo shows and it does require 2 decals.

I just looked at the brochures. It appears they've always been as the photo shows and it does require 2 decals.

But that's what I'm saying....The car in the photo has the same decal on both sides, not 2 decals.

The "Super Snake" has always been to the rear of the car.

Hmm. Now I'm even confusing myself.

Let me restate it: There were always 2 different decals designating the GT500 Super Snake on the rockers. But cloners have always used the same decal on both sides (and the easiest way to spot a fake right off).

But now I'm not positive if the Super Shake was BEFORE the GT500 or AFTER the GT500.

I'd have to go look at previous builds to be sure which way is correct.

Phill

But that's what I'm saying....The car in the photo has the same decal on both sides, not 2 decals.

The "Super Snake" has always been to the rear of the car.

Hmm. Now I'm even confusing myself.

Let me restate it: There were always 2 different decals designating the GT500 Super Snake on the rockers. But cloners have always used the same decal on both sides (and the easiest way to spot a fake right off).

But now I'm not positive if the Super Shake was BEFORE the GT500 or AFTER the GT500.

I'd have to go look at previous builds to be sure which way is correct.

Phill

I think you are mistaken. Currently as the car above shows, there are two decals. The way you are describing only one decal is necessary. Draw it out and you'll see.

I think you are mistaken. Currently as the car above shows, there are two decals. The way you are describing only one decal is necessary. Draw it out and you'll see.

I could only see the pass side in the pics I viewed. Maybe I'm missing some.

But yeah, the guy that faked one had the same (rocker) decal on both sides. The genuine product had a "mirror image" on the one side.

Does that make sense (mirror image)? What I mean is, they were two different decals vs. one, turned around and used on the other side.

Does anyone remember the "Fake Snake" the guy was trying to sell on e-bay? I think he was in North Carolina and said that Carroll Shelby himself labled it a Super Snake. He had something to do with Z-max, or the Z-max commercial. I think his car was in the Z-max commercial that Shelby was in. He had the Super Snake "wings" on the side fenders and the front grille but no underhood plaque. A cheap fiberglass hood that was obviously different than the genuine SS hoods provided by Shelby American, etc. etc. etc.

The side decals were what I first noticed that gave him away. He got real butt-hurt when people told him it was a fake and if I remember correctly, even someone from Shelby came on here and said the car was NOT a super snake and was NOT in the registry.

Apparently the guy was a furniture mover or transport driver and absconded with the SS wings when he moved something (I'm thinking a house full of furniture) for Carroll Shelby, in Texas.

I'm thinking it was a White '07-'09 GT500 with a black stripe. If there are any good "Googlers" out there you should still be able to find the Z-max commercial starring Carroll and the car I'm describing.

I remember the guy was a real asshole too! STUBBORN as hell, refused to listen to anyone, even the SA employee telling him it was a fake (I'm thinking it was Robert Lane).

Phill

I could only see the pass side in the pics I viewed. Maybe I'm missing some.

But yeah, the guy that faked one had the same (rocker) decal on both sides. The genuine product had a "mirror image" on the one side.

Does that make sense (mirror image)? What I mean is, they were two different decals vs. one, turned around and used on the other side.

Does anyone remember the "Fake Snake" the guy was trying to sell on e-bay? I think he was in North Carolina and said that Carroll Shelby himself labled it a Super Snake. He had something to do with Z-max, or the Z-max commercial. I think his car was in the Z-max commercial that Shelby was in. He had the Super Snake "wings" on the side fenders and the front grille but no underhood plaque. A cheap fiberglass hood that was obviously different than the genuine SS hoods provided by Shelby American, etc. etc. etc.

The side decals were what I first noticed that gave him away. He got real butt-hurt when people told him it was a fake and if I remember correctly, even someone from Shelby came on here and said the car was NOT a super snake and was NOT in the registry.

Apparently the guy was a furniture mover or transport driver and absconded with the SS wings when he moved something (I'm thinking a house full of furniture) for Carroll Shelby, in Texas.

I'm thinking it was a White '07-'09 GT500 with a black stripe. If there are any good "Googlers" out there you should still be able to find the Z-max commercial starring Carroll and the car I'm describing.

I remember the guy was a real asshole too! STUBBORN as hell, refused to listen to anyone, even the SA employee telling him it was a fake (I'm thinking it was Robert Lane).

Phill

Crazy story. I'm going to have to Google that.

Archived