TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby's Turn !

I want to see what they do with the Ford GT, how about an SC V8?

First, Shelby doesn't put new engines in cars. That would be a huge EPA nightmare. They tweek the existing ones.

Secondly, the new Ford GT was essentially built around the Tudor class engine that has been around for a while, it's pretty compact, so I doubt a V8 would even fit.

Too bad.

The 05-06 Ford GT was a street car that a few bold folks used as a platform to race competitively. Those cars only LOOK like a Ford GT. Next time one of the Matech cars comes near take a look.

The new Ford GT is going back to the 60's strategy. The new Ford GT is built first for a shot at Le Mans, a race car first, street car only because they have to. They really want to go in at 50 years and wup ass. So it is starting as a race car, and since in order to compete, the car has to have a street version, Ford is essentially forced to do what they did with the 60's Cobras and GT40s - build something close to the minimum number to meet the rules. FIA requires 100 vehicles be built before it can be entered. Ford has said total production over 3-4 years will only be about 1200. As a race car the street version might not be so "comfortable". Noone ever gave high praise to the Cobra and GT40 as a comfortable vacation car or grocery getter. Take a look at the new one: Two people sitting about 3 inches apart. Again, no cup holders. The seats ARE the passenger compartment tub so no electric seat and front-back adjustments (pedals and steering wheel move). Word is (just like the 05-06 Ford GT) that tall and stout people will have trouble fitting. (And no option for a Gurney bubble.)

It sounds horrible and I want one :)

Too bad.

I'm not sure if you noticed the shape. The rear is a "teardrop" shape with the rear wheels outboard. The body panels wrap the engine compartment with an air flow channel between the body and the inboard portion of the wheel wells. The engine compartment is VERY small.

The 05-06 Ford GT was a street car that a few bold folks used as a platform to race competitively. Those cars only LOOK like a Ford GT. Next time one of the Matech cars comes near take a look.

The new Ford GT is going back to the 60's strategy. The new Ford GT is built first for a shot at Le Mans, a race car first, street car only because they have to. They really want to go in at 50 years and wup ass. So it is starting as a race car, and since in order to compete, the car has to have a street version, Ford is essentially forced to do what they did with the 60's Cobras and GT40s - build something close to the minimum number to meet the rules. FIA requires 100 vehicles be built before it can be entered. Ford has said total production over 3-4 years will only be about 1200. As a race car the street version might not be so "comfortable". Noone ever gave high praise to the Cobra and GT40 as a comfortable vacation car or grocery getter. Take a look at the new one: Two people sitting about 3 inches apart. Again, no cup holders. The seats ARE the passenger compartment tub so no electric seat and front-back adjustments (pedals and steering wheel move). Word is (just like the 05-06 Ford GT) that tall and stout people will have trouble fitting. (And no option for a Gurney bubble.)

Funny that I've been writing about how the new car is strategically more like the 60's GT40s, here is an excerpt of an interview with Jamal Hameedi:

A: How does the new Ford GT compare to the last one?

H: The 2005 Ford GT was a road car, a street car. This is much more focused on being a track car.

A: Is it so focused that it’s compromised for the street?

H: Yes, absolutely. It’s really more comparable to the original GT40 than the [2005-2006] Ford GT, as far as the focus and what it was designed to do.

:thumbsup:

First, Shelby doesn't put new engines in cars. That would be a huge EPA nightmare. They tweek the existing ones.

Secondly, the new Ford GT was essentially built around the Tudor class engine that has been around for a while, it's pretty compact, so I doubt a V8 would even fit.

And don't forget it would have to go thru crash testing again.

Steve

Me too! Exciting times to have Ford building the GT with the same mentality as they did in the 60's. They haven't done it since until now.

Archived