TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Help! Engine Tapping.

redrocket1985

Definitely get your dealer to look at this as you are under warranty. You'll probably have to leave it with them so they can start it in morning when it's cold.

I had an idler bearing go on one of my ford trucks a few years back..almost sounded just the same.

If the bearings in the pulley are going, then it might act as you describe until warmed up. Best way to trouble shoot would be to remove drive belt and spin them to see if any make noise or don't feel right. You can also start the vehicle for a short time to see if noise appears/disappears with belt on or off. At first I thought it might be the cam phaser noise that is common on the 5.4/5.8, but it doesn't quite sound like that, and the fact that it only happens on cold start leads me to believe it is something else. Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

So a tid bit of information in the event anyone is interested. The tapping sound most likely is normal for these motors, albeit not all of them exhibit the sound. However, many folks have gotten away from the Motorcraft 5W50 oil and the tapping sound vastly improved or went away all together. It is believed this could be surrounding the thermal breakdown/viscosity breakdown of the Motorcraft oil compared to a higher quality oil. I recently installed the Amsoil 5w50 full synthetic and noticed the tapping sound has decreased in audible volume, but is not gone. Therefore, I would tend to believe it has something to do with the Motorcraft oil and it's ability to lubricate.

I may end up going with a different weight/viscosity of Amsoil in the future to see how it affects the tapping sound.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing. I too have this sound. I just changed my oil to Amsoil 5w50 as well and will take notice if the "clicking" reduces.

Is your clicking noise more apparent on cold starts or even if the engine is warm? Mine appears to be the loudest at coldstarts and less noticeable after idle for two or so minutes. Hoping the better oil will reduce/eliminate this.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

So mine started making this noise yesterday. Noticed it when I pulled in my shop. Car was at normal temp. 20000 miles. Just changed the oil and used Ford 5W50 full synthetic. All previous changes were at the dealer so hope they used the correct oil. BTW on the lower radiator cover in front of the oil drain plug it states "Remove when changing oil" which I did but I could not find anything to drain. Anyone know why Ford would want you to drop that cover?

Archived