TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Help Me Decide On New Car

fka979

I am about buying my 1st shelby , What is your recommendation ? what to look for? and How easy is shelby t500 as a first stick car ?

The car I am considering to buy is a black 2012 GT 500 with the following installed updates:

H&R Coil Over Suspension

Metco 2.5 Pulley

JLT Cold Air Intake Tube

SCT Tuner with Custom Dyno-Tune

305 30 19 Toyo 1 Tires

Custom Painted Wheels

Super Snake Hood

Custom Air Brush Painted Stripes

Billet Grill

Flow Master Exhaust

Chrome Engine Dress-up Kit

Cross Drilled & Slotted Front Rotors

Slotted Rear Rotors* Kryo-Treated Rotors

Thanks for your help

Have you driven stick? Or are you learning on this car?

I had a few quick cars and have been driving stick since I was 8 years old (farm time). Getting into a 550HP 510LB (stock number) car makes you pucker up a bit if your use to driving stick. The one your looking at is probably closer to 600HP 600LB due to the modifications.

Regarding the mods be careful but even if done right and in place properly.

I would be more wary of buying a car with that much power and not knowing how to drive it, it scares you your going to look on selling it. I know quite a few people who have bought one and traded it in fairly quick due to the power being just to much.

Yes, I want to learn on this car. Is it doable ? I am worry about the modification .. a ford dealer is selling the car, ( 20 k miles ).

Ugh, . I really want a GT500 . My friends trying to persue on buying a Camaro ZL1 2013. or R/T S-cat Challenger

Learning to drive a stick on a GT500 will be an eye opener, but it can be done. ( may cost you a clutch )

If the dealership can't tell you who tuned the car, walk away from the deal. ( you want to contact the tuner )

If the SCT handheld isn't part of the sale, walk away from the deal.

Does the sale include the take-off parts ?

I would only buy a modded car " if " it had complete documentation, I would have to be very comfortable...................good luck.

Learning to drive a stick on a GT500 will be an eye opener, but it can be done. ( may cost you a clutch )

If the dealership can't tell you who tuned the car, walk away from the deal. ( you want to contact the tuner )

If the SCT handheld isn't part of the sale, walk away from the deal.

Does the sale include the take-off parts ?

I would only buy a modded car " if " it had complete documentation, I would have to be very comfortable...................good luck.

What he said .

I would be more wary of buying a car with that much power and not knowing how to drive it, it scares you your going to look on selling it. I know quite a few people who have bought one and traded it in fairly quick due to the power being just to much.

Important to distinguish between power being "too much" and too much power.

The former happens quite often. The latter, almost never. :)

Yes, I want to learn on this car. Is it doable ? I am worry about the modification .. a ford dealer is selling the car, ( 20 k miles ).

Ugh, . I really want a GT500 . My friends trying to persue on buying a Camaro ZL1 2013. or R/T S-cat Challenger

Alibi's answer pretty much nails it regarding learning.

Have you test drove the car?

A 12 with a stock clutch isn't TOO bad to learn on - and a damn sight easier than the lead weight in the 13. It's perfectly fine to simplify matters by starting out with shifting through only the odds or evens. Until you're more comfortable.

Just make damn sure you've done your shifting and let out the clutch BEFORE (or after) cornering. Downshifting and accelerating mid-turn is the quickest way to end up Dukes of Hazarding your way though an intersection - especially on OE tires on a cold day that haven't heated up.

But you really don't wanna go looking at the ZL1 or RT Scat. With the first, you'd need to spend too much time explaining the sudden estrogen overdose that made you buy it, or hoping you somehow could spend the rest of your life never needing to turn the wheel of the latter - although it's the only one of the three with anything even close to a usable backseat.

I get how badly you may want a GT500, but I think it's silly for people to overlook just how much fun a GT can be with either manual or auto, especially with one of the Ford Racing Power Adder tunes - and a Ford-vetted supercharger that can take a Coyote to 624 is just a bolt on away - provided you already have the Brembo pack.

I agree with everything that has been stated above.... if you are going to learn to drive stick with this car, or any 600 HP plus car, your sphincter muscle is going to get a workout!!! I would suggest finding a place that rents used cars and rent a truck or small car with a manual tranny and learn on it or a friends car.

As discussed in another thread, here's a Hellcat that was owned for one hour ..... be careful out there... respect the power!

post-25056-0-50211600-1421074133_thumb.jpg

The Shelby was my first stick car, but I've been riding sport bikes for years. Madlock is correct because the 2010+ clutch is forgiving enough to learn on. I'm on my original clutch and my car has 60k+ miles now. However, if you've never driven a manual before I would heavily recommend driving a friends or renting a manual vehicle to gain some experience. You should also see if the dealership is going to warranty the vehicle. With the aftermarket tune they may not, but that gives you an opportunity to negotiate price due to potential future problems (if you have a reputable tuner you're fine, but if not...)

Important to distinguish between power being "too much" and too much power.

The former happens quite often. The latter, almost never. :)

OP, what everyone here has told you is true. Even when you "think" you can handle the power and torque of these cars, you will again get surprised....

The first time you lose traction at about 70MPH in second gear on a hard acceleration freeway on ramp, you will be changing shorts pretty quickly.....

Mike

Is this your first stick car, or your first fast car?

Big difference. As far as learning on this car, it will be very easy. You do not have to slip the clutch to get moving, and it's almost impossible to stall from a start, with all the torque it makes. Make sure you have a good teacher, and you start in a parking lot.

As far as if it's your first fast car, then you must give it a lot of respect, and never underestimate it's limits. As long as you stay out of boost, your grandmother could drive it. It's when you start flooring the gas, things can go bad in a hurry. I always said if you gave this car to the right teenager, he could have it totaled in less than 2 city blocks, if he just jumped in and banged two gears with no respect! Leave the traction and stability controls on, and NEVER race it / hot dog it in the wet!

When I got my first crotch rocket, people said I was going to die. I never rode a motorcycle before, but knew how to drive a stick car. Anyway, I took it really slow for the first few months, then pretty much became very proficient at it. Put 11k miles on the bike before selling it, never wrecking. I just don't want to be one of those people that flat out says he can't do what he wants, just start off slow, and build up confidence.

• 3 weeks later...

I taught my 16 year old daughter how to drive a stick with my car. That's how easy they are as far as manuals go. As it's been mentioned, it's a very docile car until you introduce boost into the mix. That being said, it's all about respect. If you're used to fast cars, take it easy with this one, as they bite. If you figure the manual transmission out no problem, don't get a grandious feeling that you've mastered the car, cause you haven't. Keep the nannies on till it's all second nature to you and you've had plenty of time behind the wheel. Alibi pretty much summed it all up.

Archived