TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Please Help With My Purchase

fka979

I am about buying my 1st shelby , What is your recommendation ? what to look for? and How easy is shelby t500 as a first stick car ?

The car I am considering to buy is a black 2012 GT 500 with the following installed updates:

H&R Coil Over Suspension

Metco 2.5 Pulley

JLT Cold Air Intake Tube

SCT Tuner with Custom Dyno-Tune

305 30 19 Toyo 1 Tires

Custom Painted Wheels

Super Snake Hood

Custom Air Brush Painted Stripes

Billet Grill

Flow Master Exhaust

Chrome Engine Dress-up Kit

Cross Drilled & Slotted Front Rotors

Slotted Rear Rotors* Kryo-Treated Rotors

Thanks for your help

You are not going to like my opinion, but learning to drive stick on a GT500 is not the best option. The car has so much power and torque, it will be easy to get yourself in a bad situation if you aren't comfortable with a manual transmission.

My suggestion is you ask another "car guy" friend to teach you stick on his less powerful car/truck, and let him drive the Shelby in exchange for the lessons.

I had a buddy teach me a long time ago. We started in his four cylinder Honda, then an old Toyoda Land Crusier, moved on to a Carmin Ghia, and for "graduation" he let me drive his Lotus 7. That was back on 1988, and I let him drive my brand new Mustang 5.0.

Hope you can find a friend as willing as mine was!

Z-man

Geeezeee Learn how to drive Before u kill yourself or someone else....How old are you??? Are you mature enough to have/drive such a powerful car....I have driven for 49 yrs now AND I still lost control of my beast.... Live long OR die quick.... Your choice....

They give sage advice. It's not meant to belittle you. Learning to drive a manual transmission is one thing, but your car is also one of the touchiest cars on the street. The tires mean they will break loose on a heartbeat's notice, and unless you have experience it isn't going to turn out well. Better leave the traction and stability control on at all times.

fka979,

My first car I learned was a 08 bullitt with a 373 rear end and a heavy duty clutch. Now a lot of people said that was going to be hard but honestly it wasn't. I guess I am a natural but I didn't even stall on my first time out or missed a gear. Now a GT500 has a supercharger on it and probably has a stiffer clutch or something but if you like buy it. Clutches come and go. Also if its your daily driver I would get practice since you don't want to keep stalling out on your first day to work (if you stall out) if its a second car, you can always get someone to drive it home and you can practice in your driveway without any pressure. Had my dad drive mine home for me and we practiced every weekend when it was nice out and after about a month I was going everywhere. Hope this helps. Remember everyone will have a differing opinion but in the end no matter what you will learn and you will eventually drive the car.

Thanks,

Francis

Geeezeee Learn how to drive Before u kill yourself or someone else....How old are you??? Are you mature enough to have/drive such a powerful car....I have driven for 49 yrs now AND I still lost control of my beast.... Live long OR die quick.... Your choice....

:) 26 .. well .. I want to learn on the car before hit the road. !

Good Ideal ..... I feel better for you now.....If you can .. try and go with another GT500 owner to find and learn the weak points in these cars.....These cars are so much fun to drive .. BUT .. can be very dangerous.. Good luck and God Bless

Archived