TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Old Topic: Removal/replacement Of Wheel Center Caps

Search revealed the answer to question: "Must the wheels be off the car in order to remove and replace the center caps?" was "Yes", in 2008 et seq.

I wonder if anyone has developed a more simple technique than hitting the back of the cap with a hammer handle or the like.

Any likelihood that the right leverage can be applied without marring the cap or wheel? Strap wrench? Suction?

When I was an active kid, I could rotate the tires in an hour or so; nowadays it's a half-day-long project. Plus, I'm lazy.

Thanks for any help, in advance.

I believe I recall someone posting that you can remove them by using a "heavy duty" suction cup. Stick the suction cup to the centercap, then give a sharp pull.

Good luck!

Z-man

• 4 weeks later...

Got mine off using a plastic pry tool used in interior repairs.

A 14 year old auto thief showed me how. Lives two doors down and pinches center caps for eBay sales. Made friends with the punk, took him out back and showed him what a 12 gauge with Double Os do to a tree stump, and he promised me some piece of mind. But don't trust him.

Y'all be safe.

Got mine off using a plastic pry tool used in interior repairs.

A 14 year old auto thief showed me how. Lives two doors down and pinches center caps for eBay sales. Made friends with the punk, took him out back and showed him what a 12 gauge with Double Os do to a tree stump, and he promised me some piece of mind. But don't trust him.

Y'all be safe.

I have just such a set of tools, but the ones with a thin-enough edge are not stiff enough..

Can you say what was the shape of the tool you used? And perhaps verbalize the technique?

Thank you.

I have just such a set of tools, but the ones with a thin-enough edge are not stiff enough..

Can you say what was the shape of the tool you used? And perhaps verbalize the technique?

Thank you.

Well, it looks like a small scale crow bar, but flat. There is a V nothc in the center of the short end. It's flexible, won't mar the finish. You have to use something soft as a fulcrum, I use my wallet. Get a grip on the edge and pry up, like opening a bottle of soda. You won't get it out at once, you have to work around the edge until there is enough exposed to get a better grip on the cap, but when you do it enough times, you get a feel for it.

Damn kid was fast, had small fingers, popped them out in seconds. In the time it took me to type this note, he'd be collecting his gain through mom's PayPal.

BTW: hitting/punching the cap out from behind with something like the shank of a hammer or the butt of a large screwdriver seems the accepted manner of removal, as much as I have seen. Not since the days of the Magnum 500/Chevy SS wheels have I seen center caps bolted in place from the rear. Other than these two wheels, and the original Cragar SS, my experience is limited to what we see today.

Hope this helps, y'all be safe.

Thank you very much, LuLu. I might get a chance to perform this operation later today.

WRT bolting them on from behind, I learned a substitute and effective way to keep the Shelby-type caps on the wheels, when I had a set of the spinners. They were so easy to lever off, the local dealer had to take them off the cars exposed on his lot for the night and replace them in the morning. Once the spinner caps are installed and the wheel is still off, slip a disk that barely fits where the spring is, so the prongs won't bend enough to let the cap be levered off. The hardware store offers a few choices. I can't remember what the size was, but if it's important enough someone who needs it will find it.

Thanks again.

The good news: I removed the red-lettered caps and put the black ones (and black lugnuts) on:

16515035682_c933e657f0_b.jpg

The not-so-good news: none of my manipulations, entreaties, finesses could get the original caps to release their grip sufficiently to let me get a pry-tool under the edge. In fact, with the mini-crowbar I got enough pressure on one cap to crack the edge and break a prong or two, so that one came off. I removed the other wheels and gave the caps a gentle tap in the back, and they fell in my hand.

Live and learn, eh?

• 1 month later...

No need to remove the wheels to get those caps off. Mr. Lowe's kitchen accessory section coughed up the tool that works: POWER LOCK SUCTION utility hook. Offered in more than one size, the appropriate one for wheel center caps is a bit over an inch-and-a-half on the flexy part. The package bears numbers: 16607-RC431 above the code bars, 81492 16607 below.

Stick that sucker on there by pressing hard on the center, lock it by pulling the hook down, and you have a fixture that allows for enough leverage to pop the cap off with surprisingly little effort. I didn't even apply the recommended moisture to the suction surface. At $1.98 for two-on-a-card, seems to me it's an essential bit of kit.

16672858838_f30441ae2b_o.jpg

16859304052_93970ab4fc_o.jpg

Wow great tip Thanks Another handy tool for the tool box

The good news: I removed the red-lettered caps and put the black ones (and black lugnuts) on:

16515035682_c933e657f0_b.jpg

The not-so-good news: none of my manipulations, entreaties, finesses could get the original caps to release their grip sufficiently to let me get a pry-tool under the edge. In fact, with the mini-crowbar I got enough pressure on one cap to crack the edge and break a prong or two, so that one came off. I removed the other wheels and gave the caps a gentle tap in the back, and they fell in my hand.

Live and learn, eh?

You know, Frank, I'm sorry about this. My caps are different, an older style perhaps. But mine have a decent lip on them, and I have not had a problem. Sorry you broke stuff.

Y'all be safe.

Archived