TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Question About T P M Sensors

I have a 2012 Mustang Convertible. If I keep it a little longer, I am thinking about getting new Wheels for it. My Wheels have the TPM Sensors, if I get new Wheels and get new Sensors, will they automatically get picked up by the Computer or will I need to take the car to Ford Dealer?

I have a 2012 Mustang Convertible. If I keep it a little longer, I am thinking about getting new Wheels for it. My Wheels have the TPM Sensors, if I get new Wheels and get new Sensors, will they automatically get picked up by the Computer or will I need to take the car to Ford Dealer?

Yes you have to have them programed to the car . You can buy the sensors & program tool American Muscle as a kit very simple to use,

I bought the kit from AM that '001 recommends (above). Fair price, comes with a programming "tool" and a video to show how it's done. Very quick and easy. :yup:

What about the situation where your new set of wheels does not have the TPMS sensors. Can you or the Ford dealer reprogram the computer to not detect them?

Don1t think so a light would be on at all times but I maybe wrong just check with your Ford dealer.

What S8MS-01904 said above...

TPMS (or TMPS) are a Federally mandated requirement, like ABS brakes, Stability Control and soon, backup cameras. Former mandates also include seat belts and backup lights in 1966, turn signals in 1962 (I think) side lights on front and rear 1969 and Ronald Reagan's CHMSL (Center High Mounted Stop Light).

Disabling any of these by a Stealership (or the very rare Dealership) is like rolling back the odometers - Fines, maybe jail time, apt to lose their license to sell cars...

Can't be done - sorry

What S8MS-01904 said above...

TPMS (or TMPS) are a Federally mandated requirement, like ABS brakes, Stability Control and soon, backup cameras. Former mandates also include seat belts and backup lights in 1966, turn signals in 1962 (I think) side lights on front and rear 1969 and Ronald Reagan's CHMSL (Center High Mounted Stop Light).

Disabling any of these by a Stealership (or the very rare Dealership) is like rolling back the odometers - Fines, maybe jail time, apt to lose their license to sell cars...

Can't be done - sorry

Ya your right on the money there.

Kinda of a bummer cause as our Shelby's age so does the batteries in these sensors. Which means the light may come on and you will have to spend money for something you don't want (being the stupid dash light). Plus, many tire shops now require replacement of these sensor if older then 4 years if you get a tire warranty package on replacement tires. Cost of these are averaged around $40/sensor. Another $160 out of your wallet.

Yes, please thank the Government. It's Bush's fault as a result of the Ford Explorer issue in the year 2000 / 2001 tire recall.

Kinda of a bummer cause as our Shelby's age so does the batteries in these sensors. Which means the light may come on and you will have to spend money for something you don't want (being the stupid dash light). Plus, many tire shops now require replacement of these sensor if older then 4 years if you get a tire warranty package on replacement tires. Cost of these are averaged around $40/sensor. Another $160 out of your wallet.

Yes, please thank the Government. It's Bush's fault as a result of the Ford Explorer issue in the year 2000 / 2001 tire recall.

If people would look after there cars & check air pressure on tires it may not have been needed.

Thanks to the Shelby GT 500 that was at the NPD Silver Springs Show, I will be keeping my Wheels and doing something very similar.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/87210-why-i-like-going-to-large-car-shows/

Archived