TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Owner 2011 Svtpp, Factory Cai Vs Aftermarket Cai Question

Oman

Recently purchased a 2011 SVTPP in Race Red and flat out love the car. It has 17,000 miles and is completely stock. I am planning on doing a 2.5 pulley and 93 tune this spring and was wondering if I should do a JLT 123 also. I know our cars came with with a factory cold air but is there any performance increase from the aftermarket kits. Has anyone dyno tested before and after between the two. As of now I am looking to keep the stock blower and maximizing the pieces around it. I will be keeping the cats as we have emissions testing in St. Louis. Just looking for a fun spirited weekend driver that doesn't detract from stock manners. Thanks in advance.

Oman,

Congratulations, and welcome to the Team. The great thing about our cars is that you have a wide range of options to choose from when you want to make some mods to the already excellent stock power plant. You'll get some improvement with any mod that helps the engine breathe more/cleaner air, so a CAI is a great easy install to start with. Beware though, that once you get started, the urge will continue for most of the life of your relationship with the car.

Have fun, enjoy the feeling of being the owner of the Alpha male of the muscle car pack, and stay safe.

All the best,

Quinn

Welcome to the forum...nice group of people here.

I personally have a stock 12 GT500 SVTPP, however I've been doing research on an pulley, intake and tune. I've also done some heavy modifications on previous cars...and I'd strongly suggest to get a upgraded intake if you're going to go with a pulley and tune.

In my opinion for a stock vehicle, Ford did a great job with the intake and exhaust. However you can see the stock intake has some bottlenecks in it. The big thing is to get an intake with a larger MAF housing. This is what you really should do if you're going to be replacing the intake...if you do not get a larger MAF housing, then you might as well just do the intake resonator delete seen here: http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-resonator-eliminator-2010gt500.html

One thing to note though (if you don't already know) is you NEED to tune the car if you get a larger MAF housing. The ECU is calibrated to the size of the stock MAF housing, and it will severely screw with your AFR and Fuel Trims if you don't tune it.

So you can see...the pulley, tune, and intake upgrade all essentially go together well. If you get a pulley you need a tune, if you're going to get a pulley and tune you might as well get an intake with a larger MAF housing (which requires a tune).

Just be sure to get a tune that is compatible with the MAF housing size. There are a few companies out there that sell packages for the GT500...that has everything you need. Pulley, tune, and intake.

Congrats, and welcome to the forum! I also have a 2011 and adore the car.

I did the tune and CAI, but no pulley yet. Went with the JLT CAI and Jon Lund tune. I love it. Would not go back. I may consider the pulley during this next year. Incredible gains in HP and responsiveness with just the CAI and tune....

Enjoy the ride, it is awesome!!

Mike

Oh, and with the proper tune, your car will keep every bit of it's stock manners when YOU WANT it to.......

IMG_2024_zps5af90d69.jpg

Oman congrats on your purchase!

I recently installed a 2.5" pulley with tune on my 2010 and there's noticeable performance improvement. I have the factory CAI with an Airaid non oiled filter and FRPP resonator eliminator. I'm very happy with the results. If you're considering upgrading the pulley I heavily recommend upgrading the heat exchanger to deal will the excess heat.

Welcome to TS, congrats on the new ride.

As you're already planning mods, try to have a goal in mind.

From my own experience, it will prevent you from buying a part, only to replace it later with something ( newer / bigger / better ).

There is no profit in used parts.

Most people start with a pulley & tune, but rarely end there.

Has anyone seen any dyno comparisons between the factory CAI and the aftermarket CAI units. I am just wondering if its worth it at the pulley/tune level i'll be at. Thanks for those who have responded. I know the heat exchangers were larger in the 11's, is there a lot to be gained here? It is probably not the vehicle that i'll choose to drive when its 105 out during our st louis summers.

I think (not 100%) but JLT has some youtube clips of dyno'ing stock res delete cai's vs. 123mm cai's. If I can remember, I think it was between 20-30hp. Don't take that as gospel as I'm shooting from the hip. Been awhile since I've seen it.

Wow, if that is the case it would be well worth it! I was thinking that in the 530-550 hp range it might be a wash or 5-10 hp max. I'm sure it is visually more apealing and does give more blower whine but those two things don't concern me quite as much, although that may change as I spend more time with the car.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks ShelbyGT5HUN and that sounds about right to me also. I think at this stage I'm just going to do a pulley and 93 tune this spring and enjoy the car like that for a while. It sounds like most people feel like this is a pretty good bang for the buck mod and are happy with the performance increase. It seems like most people end up around 540 at the tires at this stage with the 10-12 cars. I know someone mentioned a heat exchanger upgrade, have a lot of people done that? I know that increased the size of the heat exchanger in 2011 but I also know it will create more heat with more boost. I won't be tracking the car or abusing it in the heat, so not sure that is necessary for my needs. Right now I'm leaning towards giving VMP my business, seems like a lot of happy customers out there.

I always wondered why they would upload a video like that. They are in the parts selling business, and $400 for 4 rwhp, doesn't seem right! I'm telling you a pulley and tune makes this car a beast. Turn the traction control off, if you think it's still tame, after you upgrade. It's the best balance between power, and longevity. I feel that Ford limited boost to stock levels to compensate for the idiot who put in 87 fuel. If you run 93, and could only put 93 in the tank, the car would have come with the 2.6 pulley. No reason why it can't handle a few extra psi of boost, on the right fuel, all the time. I did upgrade my stock heat exchanger to the C+R dual fan version. The stock one is fine for short bursts, and cool weather, but it's proven the upgraded versions work wonders on keeping the power, regardless of the temps.

I'm running a 2.5" VMP pulley and the power gain is incredible. My car is a 2010 and the heat exchanger is not as efficient as the 2011+ models so I'm looking to upgrade. If you plan on upgrading your SC that's when you'll need to upgrade the CAI with a larger MAF sensor.

Congrats on the new car. I hope you didn't buy it with the intention of going unnoticed.

K&N needed a car to video for a CAI install, so I volunteered my car. I got to keep the piece for my troubles. Took the guy about 2 1/2 hours including before and after dyno pulls. Don't believe the gains in the video, not sure where they pulled those #'s from. They claim 30 and 30, but those #'s are exaggerations that were not taken from my dyno session. They claim a stock GT500 dyno's 400hp and the same amount of torque. I've never seen a number that low for a GT500. The real number for that day was 488hp in stock trim with 91 octane. The post CAI dyno pull was 497hp. I don't remember what the torque #'s came in at, they didn't let me keep the dyno sheet, now I know why.

I wouldn't recommend the K&N because it's not legal in CA, for only an 8hp gain I feel I should also get a CARB #.

Good luck and be warned, once you start, you can't stop.

Manny

http://www.knfilters.com/video/63-2579_Install.html

On the 2007-2009, adding a cold air intake will make a bigger difference, since they came with a horrible stock one. The 2010s and up to 2014, use the same intake, and make good power. Like I said above, switching to a JLT carbon fiber one, for $450, must be done for appearance only. You won't get that much gain, over the good stock piece. Now if you upgrade the blower to something huge, that I can't comment on, but the stock blowers are fine with the stock cold air intake.

Archived