TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Found My Gt500

Bushmaster

After selling my '08 GT-C back to its previous owner and a couple weeks of fairly intense searching, I've found my new toy. It's a 2009 with just under 20k on the odometer. Black with alloy stripes, black/red interior, Shaker 1000. Mods are limited to Wilwood rotors, KR exhaust and a strut tower brace, along with new Nitto NT555s. It's exactly what I was looking for with the added bonus of the interior.

I bought the car from Manny at Gaudin in Las Vegas after Tom Dankel (Cali_KR) told me about the car and Manny has been great to work with. As soon as the paperwork is completed the car will go in the trailer and should be here in about a week or so. I can't wait to get behind the wheel and start enjoying (and modifying) it.

2009GT500_zps58926bc6.jpg

7_zps3eea0868.jpg

I saw that car at Gaudin last weekend. Manny is their Mustang guy for sure.

It's been a real pleasure dealing with someone so enthusiastic about Mustangs. I hope to get to meet him in person at Plano next year. Very nice guy and he's made the whole deal real easy.

Thanks for all your advice - you've been most helpful! :salute:

So I guess the next question is if you will leave it alone as it sits or are the mods coming soon and if so what are you thinking about? I know we discussed LCA's and would also highly recommend replacing the driveshaft.

Making a list of mods right now. Pulley, driveshaft, shifter (probably MGW), CAI, exhaust cutouts and a tune should get me started. A buddy just took a set of FRPP springs off a customer's car who wants the car back to stock height, so those are free and will go on first.

Actually, the first think I'll do is fix the trunk lettering. Whoever respaced the letters hosed the job. Any idea if I'll run into problems removing the letters from the stripes?

Also, from the reading I've been doing, it sounds like a heat exchanger might be a good idea, especially being in this hot climate - should I consider that?

back1_zps719be15a.jpg

Bushmaster, on 29 Dec 2014 - 01:50 AM, said:

My first thought was to ditch the scoops, but they're actually starting to grow on me a bit. We'll have to see after the car gets here.

Leave them on, they look good! I went with the rivet look on the 1/4 win and blacked out gen 5 tail lights. Razor wheels otw :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGM0slCa8Sg&list=UUEIL2hF-InpBHg6kO-iOKeg

Nice car! Your stripes are vapor, right?

I didn't think about it till last night but all the photos I've seen of my car have the windows down. I'll have to find out if it's got tint and set up and appointment if not. The tinted windows really make the car look a lot lower and meaner (along with practical value in this climate).

Bushmaster, on 29 Dec 2014 - 02:30 AM, said:

Nice car! Your stripes are vapor, right?

I didn't think about it till last night but all the photos I've seen of my car have the windows down. I'll have to find out if it's got tint and set up and appointment if not. The tinted windows really make the car look a lot lower and meaner (along with practical value in this climate).

I believe the strips are either silver or tungsten, never really checked into the codes. Also, be careful with the tinting...the previous owner of my car had it on the beach a lot or a lot of desert driving. Scratches can be shown from the inside from window up/down a lot. Known issue. Comes from sand trapping on window liners.

Well, no beaches or dust here so that shouldn't be a problem. If it turns out to be, I can just get it redone every few years......not that expensive. It's really a must down here both to keep the inside cooler and to protect the upholstery.

Actually, the first think I'll do is fix the trunk lettering. Whoever respaced the letters hosed the job. Any idea if I'll run into problems removing the letters from the stripes?

Also, from the reading I've been doing, it sounds like a heat exchanger might be a good idea, especially being in this hot climate - should I consider that?

back1_zps719be15a.jpg

Dental floss works well to get the letters off without pulling on the stripe and possibly ripping it. Then you'll want to use some bug/tar remover to clean off the residue.

Now might be a good time to invest in this... http://www.shelbystore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=S7SB-1820-A

Thanks - I'm all set to order that along with a new set of letters as soon as the car's en route. I want to make sure it gets done right this time!

Making a list of mods right now. Pulley, driveshaft, shifter (probably MGW), CAI, exhaust cutouts and a tune should get me started. A buddy just took a set of FRPP springs off a customer's car who wants the car back to stock height, so those are free and will go on first.

Nice find. I was thinking about cut outs. Do you put them before the cats? Does it screw up the ECU? What brand are you looking at?

I haven't gotten too far in researching brands but we're going to put them on after the cats, pretty far back so they will more or less aim out near the tires. Also the farther back you put them the less likely you are to mess with the tune. QTP seems to be a popular brand and Race Ready makes the set in this thread:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/54233-race-ready-cutouts/?hl=cutouts&fromsearch=1

Here's their website: http://www.racereadyperformance.com/

I haven't gotten too far in researching brands but we're going to put them on after the cats, pretty far back so they will more or less aim out near the tires. Also the farther back you put them the less likely you are to mess with the tune. QTP seems to be a popular brand and Race Ready makes the set in this thread:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/54233-race-ready-cutouts/?hl=cutouts&fromsearch=1

Here's their website: http://www.racereadyperformance.com/

Thanks for the info. I have to run cats in PA. I was thinking I could run open before the cats at the strip but that is probably more of a problem for what it is worth.

Purely subjective, but I've just never been big on the Razors. If I was going to spring for a set of wheels I'd probably look into the BMC Alcoa repros. Alcoas would be better but I don't buy lottery tickets. I think Alcoas on a black GT500 is about as good as it gets. I saw a black KR at the drag strip a few years ago and the result of that is my new car.

Archived