TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Airaid Filter

roseng

Oil ones last a lot longer, but requires cleaning (simple green and water for me) and re-applying oil every so often (30K miles). Some dry ones require no maintenance except running a vacuum over it to pull up the dust and chunks of dirt. Dry variety typically doesn't last as long.

I believe AirRaid offer a dry, washable type, which might be a good option. http://www.airaidsales.com/article-synthaflow-and-synthamax-explained.aspx

If you go off their site the dry cleanable filters are very and i mean very close to the MotorCraft spec that is available.

The Oiled versions you see a significant air flow increase with the AirAid just like you see with the drop in K&N.

I am looking to order a dry one in blue since it will look cool under the hood and give me time to clean my K&N. It also helps make sure I don't end up with oil on the sensor.

... It also helps make sure I don't end up with oil on the sensor.

I was concerned with oil on the MAF as well. But if you do some homework, you'll see this isn't really a problem. Unless you completely overdo it, oiled filters work great. Following directions from the manufacture, you just need to get the pleats a little damp and let the oil soak in. I moved from stock papaer, to AirRaid dry, to S&B oiled for my 127'' CAI. No issues with any of them. Gets down to personal preference on color, cleaning and\oiling frequency.

If you go off their site the dry cleanable filters are very and i mean very close to the MotorCraft spec that is available.

The Oiled versions you see a significant air flow increase with the AirAid just like you see with the drop in K&N.

I am looking to order a dry one in blue since it will look cool under the hood and give me time to clean my K&N. It also helps make sure I don't end up with oil on the sensor.

I took off the butt ugly yellow filter off my14 and installed a dry blue Airaid - sure looks a ton better & works good - I have heard its easy to over oil the wet filters and cause problems with the MAF

I took off the butt ugly yellow filter off my14 and installed a dry blue Airaid - sure looks a ton better & works good - I have heard its easy to over oil the wet filters and cause problems with the MAF

I have a wet K&N drop in for my 2003 Mach 1 for over the last 6 years and - so far - have never had the issue of over oiling. I believe like what was indicated earlier by barspan to follow the manufacturer specs and all will be fine.

I gave both dry and oiled version. The oiled version looks better and will last longer when cared for properly. Dry version loses its color quicker. Air raid tech states the dyno hp difference as tested is nominal with a very slight edge over the dry version ( less than 1 hp). Go oiled for better results.

Shelby and Bars are right if you follow the instructions you wont have a problem with over oiling the filter. I like having a clean one on standby though always have it might have something to do with my dirtbike riding in the past.

Thanks KB12

Its the Ford Racing Whipple 2.9L kit

Took me a while to find the correct afraid to fit, but found one

I have the Whipple 2.9L (polished) too and that's the reason I've never contemplated using a filter other than what comes with the kit.

What part number did you end up with, and is it a Airaid?

TIA,

Phill

• 2 weeks later...

Hi KOna

Would you by chance know your voltage with engine running?

I am running 15.2 volts just curious if yours is high.

I don't remember if I've ever checked it or not.

15.2v is a little high if at 2500.

If at idle, it's WAY TOO HIGH.

14.8v @ 2500 RPM is considere max voltage.

Are you cooking your battery?

Does you battery pass a load test?

Phill

just cooked a battery couple months ago thats how I found out it was high

I am at 15.2 from idle to redline

If you get around to it can you check yours and let me know.

Thinking it might have to do with the whipple tune.

Thanks

just cooked a battery couple months ago thats how I found out it was high

I am at 15.2 from idle to redline

If you get around to it can you check yours and let me know.

Thinking it might have to do with the whipple tune.

Thanks

Yes, I'll see if I can get it within the next few days. Temps have been single digit and supposed to get into the low 50's this weekend so I'll try to get it for you.

I have the (Ford Racing Perf. Parts) Whipple 2.9L tune too so should be a good example.

You might want to remind me come Sat. a.m. though. Send me a text at 719-313-8481 to remind me (don't always check forums or e-mail on weekends). If you call, I won't answer because I won't have your number in my address book so caller ID will only show your number.

Phill