TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oh Happy Day!!

old guy

OK - Now that I've stopped hyperventilating I can relay some things.

Brought my Volvo in for service on Wednesday. Had a recall notice about throttle control software needing to be updated. Up until that point I was going to get 2nd run. While I was waiting I spoke to the SVT guy and started asking when he thought the 2nd run would be. After a bunch of heming and hawing, he said that all of the first run cars were ordered, and that based on his previous experiences with Ford, I could probably expect the 2nd run to start being delivered around February of next year.

So I'm sittin' there thinking out loud "I don't know if I want to wait that long." Part of the original agreement with the dealer was that if Ford didn't cut me a special PIN they would sell me their first one at MSRP. SO.... I started making noise that I might take them up on that offer (had it in writing.) It was really just idle chat, and I probably would have waited for the PIN to come through anyway.

This morning I got the call from the dealership and they said Ford wanted to get me into the first run, but I had to be there before noon so the paperwork could get in on time. While I was signing the papers I asked him if the first cars were sold yet. He said that the first allocation would be 2 cars, and the first 2 people he had called on the list a while back said "no problem... order it." He said he had a list of about 100 people, but his allocation for the year would be 6. He felt it appeared that more people on his original list than he previously thought might actually want to put in an order for the car.

Well, this got me to thinking. I'll bet after I left on Wed they started to panic about losing one of their cars that was already promised. Also, if I got a car from them, it would cut into their total allocation. So they probably got on the pipe with Ford and talked them into a first run car. Since today is the last day for ordering first run cars, they said they HAD to get me in today, and that Ford was waiting for the order.

So ther you have it. Thank God for Volvo recalls. I wonder how long it'll take them to tell me how much I just spent.

#1 - Part of the original agreement with the dealer was that if Ford didn't cut me a special PIN they would sell me their first one at MSRP. SO.... I started making noise that I might take them up on that offer (had it in writing.) It was really just idle chat, and I probably would have waited for the PIN to come through anyway.

#2 - While I was signing the papers I asked him if the first cars were sold yet. He said that the first allocation would be 2 cars, and the first 2 people he had called on the list a while back said "no problem... order it." He said he had a list of about 100 people, but his allocation for the year would be 6.

#3 - Well, this got me to thinking. I'll bet after I left on Wed they started to panic about losing one of their cars that was already promised. Also, if I got a car from them, it would cut into their total allocation.

Maybe I missed an earlier post, but I don't understand a few things in your post (see the numbers above to match to the questions below) ...

#1 - What's this "special PIN", and why did Ford promise you one?

#2 - So, these "first 2" cars your dealer is getting - did they bump one of the other customers they had already promised these to to sell it to you?

#3 - Why would they "loose one of their cars" if they didn't sell it to you now?

Just trying to understand what's going on.

Maybe I missed an earlier post, but I don't understand a few things in your post (see the numbers above to match to the questions below) ...

#1 - What's this "special PIN", and why did Ford promise you one?

#2 - So, these "first 2" cars your dealer is getting - did they bump one of the other customers they had already promised these to to sell it to you?

#3 - Why would they "loose one of their cars" if they didn't sell it to you now?

Just trying to understand what's going on.

#1. Ford gave me the PIN (special order number) because of a problem they (Ford, not the dealership) were responsible for on a previous car sale. The first post has a link to my original posting about it.

#2. No. Because I am getting the car from Ford it didn't come out of the dealer allocation. The dealer is just acting as a delivery agent.

#3. The original agreement with the dealer was if Ford didn't give me a PIN they would sell me their first car to help make up for Ford's mistake, and in that case it WOULD come from their total allocation.

BTW - To the note about dealers not knowing their allocation yet, it certainly appeared to me that they knew how many they were getting.

How can today be the last day for ordering first run crs when dealers haven't even received firm allocation #'s yet? FiveOhB, can you shed some light on this?

Their regional office probably said "hey, we're gonna give you a GT500 for this week's pull, but you don't have any orders for GT500's in the order banks. Do you want/need one?" If the dealership doesn't put an order for one in the order banks, then the regional office will pass on that dealer and offer that order to another dealership. It pays to already have your orders in the order banks so the regional office doesn't have to call and ask. If the orders are already in, then the regional office can just pull your order with the best priority code and submit the order to the plant. However, you better make sure the cars in the order banks are the cars you (or your customers) want because if a dealer just has stock orders in and waiting (not actually spec'd for a customer) if the order is pulled, it's gonna be built however it was in the order banks (no color or option changes on that car).

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Apr 28 2006, 07:37 PM) 9738[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Their regional office probably said "hey, we're gonna give you a GT500 for this week's pull, but you don't have any orders for GT500's in the order banks. Do you want/need one?" If the dealership doesn't put an order for one in the order banks, then the regional office will pass on that dealer and offer that order to another dealership. It pays to already have your orders in the order banks so the regional office doesn't have to call and ask. If the orders are already in, then the regional office can just pull your order with the best priority code and submit the order to the plant. However, you better make sure the cars in the order banks are the cars you (or your customers) want because if a dealer just has stock orders in and waiting (not actually spec'd for a customer) if the order is pulled, it's gonna be built however it was in the order banks (no color or option changes on that car).

Five Oh B,

My dealer(s) keeps telling me they will not take a deposit until they know what MSRP is. So does that mean if they the dealer(s) haven't submitted an order by now they won't get one?

#1. Ford gave me the PIN (special order number) because of a problem they (Ford, not the dealership) were responsible for on a previous car sale. The first post has a link to my original posting about it.

#2. No. Because I am getting the car from Ford it didn't come out of the dealer allocation. The dealer is just acting as a delivery agent.

#3. The original agreement with the dealer was if Ford didn't give me a PIN they would sell me their first car to help make up for Ford's mistake, and in that case it WOULD come from their total allocation.

BTW - To the note about dealers not knowing their allocation yet, it certainly appeared to me that they knew how many they were getting.

Aaahaaa! I see now. Thanks for helping clear up the fog! Congrats on getting your car.

Way to go old guy!!!!!!! :happy feet: Have fun driving it and report to us all the tickets ya get. :speedie::shift:

Is it disrespectfull to call you "OLD" Guy

My father-in-law dorve a Trans-Am and all the young bucks just looked at him like what the :censored: is that old fart driving a car like that. Hope you get starred at all the time!!!!!!!

Mark

Way to go old guy!!!!!!! :happy feet: Have fun driving it and report to us all the tickets ya get. :speedie::shift:

Is it disrespectfull to call you "OLD" Guy

My father-in-law dorve a Trans-Am and all the young bucks just looked at him like what the :censored: is that old fart driving a car like that. Hope you get starred at all the time!!!!!!!

Mark

No disrespect. I earned it!!! And let all the youngsters stare stare. Ain't gonna bother me none. :shift:

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Apr 28 2006, 07:37 PM) 9738[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Five Oh B,

My dealer(s) keeps telling me they will not take a deposit until they know what MSRP is. So does that mean if they the dealer(s) haven't submitted an order by now they won't get one?

Same here. We must be the only 2 guys in the USA that dealers are either lying to or telling the truth to.

Monsur Old Guy, Gongrats on the score! :yahoo: If your 500 order is coming out of the Ford Corporate or Regional office, and is outside of dealer allocation, then its possible that you may get an interesting letter from the Corporate office that lists three simple, but specifc requirements that Ford wants you to agree to and then acknowledge by signing the letter and returning it back to them.

1. Agree upon purchase terms and take delivery through a United States Ford Division Dealership.

2. FoMoCo will make every effort to deliver this vehicle at the purchaser's dealer of choice, but FoMoCo will be the final authority in determining the Ford Division Dealership that will sell and deliver the Shelby GT500 to the purchaser.

3. Purchaser agrees to maintain ownership of this vehicle for a period of no less than 24 months from the date of delivery. Should circumstances require the vehicle to be sold within that time, Purchaser agrees to notify FoMoCo in writing and provide the first opportunity to purchase the vehicle at Purchaser's orginal purchase price.

I'm not saying that you will definately get the letter, but don't be surprised if you do.

Five Oh B,

My understanding is that they will just keep getting passed over in their region each week with available cars going to other dealers in the region for those weeks. Yearly total allocation isn't affected, just when they get it.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Apr 29 2006, 10:24 AM) 9794[/snapback]

My understanding is that they will just keep getting passed over in their region each week with available cars going to other dealers in the region for those weeks. Yearly total allocation isn't affected, just when they get it.

Thanks for answering my question Five Oh B.

Maybe this can be considered a good thing. If it now takes them longer to get it in, maybe ALL the hype will die down & I can buy it at MSRP say....In December & call it my christmas present to myself :party:

Archived