TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Had A Minor Accident... Kinda

Bruce49

Was sitting at a light Christmas eve and next thing I get bumped firmly. I look in the mirror and see a young guy driving a Suburban 1500lt (a dinosaur). He has his ear buds in and he's on his f'g phone. I get out and look at the rear. A nice gash and a crease right above the license plate area. Mind you, he has the big pusher bars in the front.

He got very pale. Swapped info. Now the fun begins since the bumper will need to be replaced along with the matte black stripes. I want to see Progressive they to piece meal the stripes from Shelby.

It won't happen. The stripes will cost more than the bumper and paint. But here is something interesting: my son said they will have to replace all the top stripes since the new ones will not match. I hope he's right since the stripes on top (hood, roof, trunk) are in bad shape.

This will be fun...

Was sitting at a light Christmas eve and next thing I get bumped firmly. I look in the mirror and see a young guy driving a Suburban 1500lt (a dinosaur). He has his ear buds in and he's on his f'g phone. I get out and look at the rear. A nice gash and a crease right above the license plate area. Mind you, he has the big pusher bars in the front.

He got very pale. Swapped info. Now the fun begins since the bumper will need to be replaced along with the matte black stripes. I want to see Progressive they to piece meal the stripes from Shelby.

It won't happen. The stripes will cost more than the bumper and paint. But here is something interesting: my son said they will have to replace all the top stripes since the new ones will not match. I hope he's right since the stripes on top (hood, roof, trunk) are in bad shape.

This will be fun...

I don`t think it will be a problem as the stripes come as a set so they will replace all of them.

bruce49, Remember that this accident and repair will now be on record/Carfax and can/will be used by a prospective buyer to claim lower value. Try to get the insurance company to add money for devaluation. It worked for me one time (Geico) but not the other (State Farm) on my 07 Mustang GT. Will probably have to elevate to management to get it though.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I just measured the stripes at each end on the hood, roof, trunk and bumper. They ALL vary in width from 11.5 down to 9.6 rear to front. Weird.

Regarding insurance, I'm trying to go through his insurance company, Progressive. I have Allstate. If I go through his it doesn't show upcas a claim on my policy. However, if they baulk, I will file a claim through mine and will chase him for devaluation. Yeah, when pigs fly... I doubt Allstate would help me with this point.

But I have a good enough relationship with my agent where I can call her and get her advice.

I'll keep you posted.

I deal with Allstate all the time in my profession. The worst imho. One way pockets but hey, it works for them look at the millions they have to spend on all those catchy commercials. The "Good Hands" people. Yup.

I doubt your policy has any provision for devaluation but look at it anyway. Regardless, the little twerp that hit you is responsible. Get an estimate from the best body shop in your area and stick to your guns as to what it needs to set it straight iwith his carrier. You need all the stripes replaced for it to look right and match. They will want you to use that place that fixes taxi cabs behind the Taco stand that gave them an estimate for the 1/2 ass repair. Don't let "Flo" from Progressive get away with a cheap repair. She'll try.

You may have to file suit in court for property damage if they give you a hard time. You will need an estimate and make sure the appraiser or body guy will come to court.

It was just cosmetic damage so I don't think value will be hurt IMHO with a top notch repair. Keep all the repair receipts to document that it was just cosmetic.

It's not just cosmetic if the rear bumper is being replaced. It's cracked, gouged and bulging. That is not my worry. It's the stripes. Someone suggested you can pick up pieces from Shelby. I would be surprised if this was the case. And yes, I have heard horror stories about Progressive. The best was having their car cut in half and re-welded with an undamaged half to make their car right.

Like I stated, if I get any crap from Progessive, I call Allstate. They will repair my car correctly. Then they can chase Progessive and they can then chase the young man driving the dinosaur Suburban with the push bars.

Hopefully, he will stay off the phone and pull the buds out of his ears from now on...

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I just measured the stripes at each end on the hood, roof, trunk and bumper. They ALL vary in width from 11.5 down to 9.6 rear to front. Weird.

Regarding insurance, I'm trying to go through his insurance company, Progressive. I have Allstate. If I go through his it doesn't show upcas a claim on my policy. However, if they baulk, I will file a claim through mine and will chase him for devaluation. Yeah, when pigs fly... I doubt Allstate would help me with this point.

But I have a good enough relationship with my agent where I can call her and get her advice.

I'll keep you posted.

That`s the way they are suppose to be

Again, I'll say go after Progressive for the devaluation. I was told the same thing that it wouldn't work but I pushed it with the lady's insurance company (Geico), they pushed it to a supervisor who came to my house, looked at the car and cut me a check for $1000, in addition to paying for the repairs. Worth a shot. That was 5 year old standard Mustang GT.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, finally I believe I have the makings ofma happy ending: Progressive received a call from the driver of the Suburban admitting fault. I will be dropping my KR off at League City Body Shop. I've worked with Roger for years now. First class all the way.

Will be getting a new rear bumper and new stripes. I called Chris at Shelby. Turns out toyncan buy stripes piece meal. For me, I'll be getting the rear stipe kit, namely the trunk, spoiler and rear bumper. And to cherry it out, the only stripes that are in need of replacement are the trunk and spoiler.

My only concern is the newness of the trunk stripes will not match the hood and roof. But, I'll defer to Roger.

As far as devaluation, there is no police report to find it's way onto Autocheck or Carfax. And you guys never read this thread....

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the bumper has been repaired and painted. We're waiting on thenracing stripes from Shelby. Turns out you CAN buy the stripes in pairs. The stripes for the bumper alone were around $250. The shop shouldmget them tomorrow or Wednesday. The concern I have is that the bumper stripes will not match the trunk and spoiler stripes due to age.

But we'll see. If that happens, I get to plead my case to Progressive.

This is my nightmare when driving the KR. I hope all works out well and I'm glad to hear that all the repairs will be done right and paid for.

I hear ya!!! I may not have a KR but it's my nightmare also. My wife doesn't understand, she thinks I should drive mine more often!