TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Going To Try Out The Signature Edition Super Snake, Thoughts On Color/stripe Combos?

Well I got the OK from the boss to put my hat in the ring for the signature edition Super Snake build. At this time we have yet to even purchase the donor car, but I can tell you its almost MORE exciting the second time around. I have reserved #11/50 total cars spanning all years, and our intention is to start with a low mileage Grabber Orange GT500 as a base car. Any thoughts on if one year is better than the other? I am also curious to hear what you all think would be a cool wheel finish and stripe color as we can choose any combo we want!

Merry Christmas to all!!!

Jim

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My suggestions would just be what I would want personally so for now I just say whatever it is make sure its blue! :hysterical:

You look like a black car guy anyways and why ruin a good thing; sounds like it will be a fun experience though - from start to long after finish. Very nice.

Well I got the OK from the boss to put my hat in the ring for the special edition Super Snake build. At this time we have yet to even purchase the donor car, but I can tell you its almost MORE exciting the second time around. I have reserved #11/50 total cars spanning all years, and our intention is to start with a low mileage Grabber Orange GT500 as a base car. Any thoughts on if one year is better than the other? I am also curious to hear what you all think would be a cool wheel finish and stripe color as we can choose any combo we want!

Jim

If I had it to do all over again, I'd buy a '11 or '12 to take advantage of the aluminum block and electric steering.

You also get the bonus of better aerodynamics with the '10 and up vs. the '09 and earlier.

Color can be changed with a paint gun.

Phill

Well I got the OK from the boss to put my hat in the ring for the special edition Super Snake build. At this time we have yet to even purchase the donor car, but I can tell you its almost MORE exciting the second time around. I have reserved #11/50 total cars spanning all years, and our intention is to start with a low mileage Grabber Orange GT500 as a base car. Any thoughts on if one year is better than the other? I am also curious to hear what you all think would be a cool wheel finish and stripe color as we can choose any combo we want!

Jim

Thats fantastic Jim, congrats to both of you,

Very cool and congrats. Go with your gut and you can't go wrong..........I'd say you nailed the color.

^ I agree 100% with what Dan said...

Thanks for all the input guys! I am waiting to hear back from the seller of a nice 08 GO with around 4500 miles on the clock. Waiting on undercarriage shots.....

While I would love to start with a '13 or '14 for the power, I foresee most of them being built this way. If only they offered the GO for more than 2 years!!! I am looking for something different, and I think Pat nailed it with the silver stripes. I think the wife really digs the silver on the GO, but then what about the wheels....polished aluminum? I wish they still offered a chrome, but there is always aftermarket wheels I guess.

Hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas!!!

Jim

While I would love to start with a '13 or '14 for the power, I foresee most of them being built this way. If only they offered the GO for more than 2 years!!! I am looking for something different, and I think Pat nailed it with the silver stripes.

I thought you said you wanted to "Super Snake" it.

'07-'10 Super Snakes are *only* available with a BLACK stripe.

They gave you options starting with the '11 Model Year.

If you want it to remain 'unmodified' you'll be stuck with a GO & BK car.

Or you can rip off the 'factory' Black stripe and have a Silver one made somewhere, then applied. And put your Super Snake into the Registry as a "Owner Modified" Super Snake.

And that's the primary reason I didn't "Snake" my 2010 Kona Blue & White GT500.

Phill (Because I wanted to KEEP the white stripe)

I thought you said you wanted to "Super Snake" it.

'07-'10 Super Snakes are *only* available with a BLACK stripe.

They gave you options starting with the '11 Model Year.

If you want it to remain 'unmodified' you'll be stuck with a GO & BK car.

Or you can rip off the 'factory' Black stripe and have a Silver one made somewhere, then applied. And put your Super Snake into the Registry as a "Owner Modified" Super Snake.

And that's the primary reason I didn't "Snake" my 2010 Kona Blue & White GT500.

Hi Phill,

With the "Special Edition Super Snake" they are letting us pick our SS stripe color!! I emailed GP last Sunday and he got right back with me. He said this is going to be a VERY special SS.

I did just closed the deal on a '08 Grabber Orange as a donor, so that route has been set!!!. 33k out the door w/a tick over 4K miles on the clock, I think I did pretty good.

Let the good times roll!!!

Congrats Jim!!!

Make sure it has had the clutch TSB done, or have the clutch upgraded or you will have issues with it. You may also want to paint the rear end as it is not painted in the 08 and will be rusty.

I agree, the Grabber Orange with silver stripes will look awesome!! Polished wheels all the way...

And Pat.....you're an Alcoa hoarder....if you get any more, your garage attic is going to cave in...LOL

Alex

Congrats Jim!!!

Make sure it has had the clutch TSB done, or have the clutch upgraded or you will have issues with it. You may also want to paint the rear end as it is not painted in the 08 and will be rusty.

I agree, the Grabber Orange with silver stripes will look awesome!! Polished wheels all the way...

Alex

As always, great advise Alex!

Great choice on GO with silver stripes! Nice mix of SS with a little 40th on the stripe color :)

Thanks Bob!!!

I don't think I have ever seen a Grabber Orange 40th, come to think of it....would look great though!! Grabber Orange and yellow have always been my favorite Mustang colors....I'm excited for Jim and can't wait to see the end result.

Alex

Hi Phill,

With the "Special Edition Super Snake" they are letting us pick our SS stripe color as well as the stripes being Painted On!!!! I emailed GP last Sunday and he got right back with me. He said this is going to be a VERY special SS.

I did just closed the deal on a '08 Grabber Orange as a donor, so that route has been set!!!. 33k out the door w/a tick over 4K miles on the clock, I think I did pretty good.

Let the good times roll!!!

That will be a nice combo.

That's the primary reason I didn't "Snake" my 2010 Kona Blue & White GT500.

Hi Phill,

With the "Special Edition Super Snake" they are letting us pick our SS stripe color as well as the stripes being Painted On!!!! I emailed GP last Sunday and he got right back with me. He said this is going to be a VERY special SS.

I can feel you thinking about this Phill......................

Congrat's 'Masterslim, Grabber orange falls just barely under a black car in my book!

polished aluminum wheels

or, better yet, maybe Gary P has some unused Alcoa SS wheels hidden somewhere in the storage room in LV

if not, i know where you can get some

:) :)

LOL, we may be talking at some point!!!

Congrats Jim!!!

And Pat.....you're an Alcoa hoarder....if you get any more, your garage attic is going to cave in...LOL

Alex

Thanks Alex,

I definitely have plans to get a new clutch in there. The one in my other SS took a crap about 1000 miles after the upgrade, and I was not hitting it hard. Ill have to look into the rear end, thanks for the heads up!!

As always, great advise Alex!

Great choice on GO with silver stripes! Nice mix of SS with a little 40th on the stripe color :)

Thank you sir....pinch of this, a twist of that = awesomeness!!

That will be a nice combo.

Thanks Harald, I sure hope so!!

I've not seen a GO 40th in person either. Here are a few pics to show GO w/silver . . .

image_zps9b61b14f.jpg

image_zpsdd4b9f67.jpg

I really like the looks of that, thanks for the pics!!!

I can feel you thinking about this Phill......................

Congrat's 'Masterslim, Grabber orange falls just barely under a black car in my book!

Thank you sir, and I hear ya on the Black!!!!!

Ill have to look into the rear end, thanks for the heads up!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congrats on the GO build!! <<This sounds exciting!!

If you decide to restore the 8.8 to it's original 2007-2010 look, it takes a little more time than spraying it black, and original assy. line markings will have to be documented before the rust is totally removed, but it is worth it every time you (or someone else) looks under the car and see's what appears to be the correct original new look.

If you decide to take on the 8.8 "original look" project, here is a link to my posts from a couple of years ago with before and after pictures.............

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/74180-88-axle-restore/page-1

R

If you decide to restore the 8.8 to it's original 2007-2010 look, it takes a little more time than spraying it black, and original assy. line markings will have to be documented before the rust is totally removed, but it is worth it every time you (or someone else) looks under the car and see's what appears to be the correct original new look.

If you decide to take on the 8.8 "original look" project, here is a link to my posts from a couple of years ago with before and after pictures.............

R

Robert's write up is a great read! I'll warn you though, if you read it; you'll want to do it.

If you decide to go that route, I have a set of paint markers I used earlier this year you're welcome to.

Robert's write up is a great read! I'll warn you though, if you read it; you'll want to do it.

If you decide to go that route, I have a set of paint markers I used earlier this year you're welcome to.

There is also a flip-side to doing it...................Once you get into the restore and realize the time it takes to make it look right.............you may wish that you didn't start the project, but at that point all you can do is move forward and focus on the end result.

The original/rusted pictures of my 2008 axle was when the car was 3-4 years old and only had approx. 600 miles on it. The car was built 3/08 and had been driven from the assy. line to the assy. line parking lot for transport to it's original dealership. It was transported to the dealership, unloaded from the transporter and driven into the showroom at that dealership, all in the winter time. When I bought the car it had 8.3 original miles.............My car has never been in the rain except the day it was loaded onto the 2-car enclosed hauler at Shelby after the Super Snake upgrade, it was raining that day and my car had 21 miles on it when I received it back from Las Vegas.

^^^All of this was said to show how quickly those bare metal axles rust with very little exposure to the elements. If a car was been driven in the rain, snow/salt etc. it will be even worse and once the rust pits the metal it is very hard to get a "new look" again. <<<This is why I "forced" myself to take on this project sooner than later because the rust pitting clock was ticking.

>>>Jim - Hopefully you GO axle does not have a rust issue. I would think that cars from dryer climates may have minimal axle rust.

R

Hi Masterslim,

Congrats on your decision! That's very exciting.

Some thoughts to consider......

I have driven 08, 09, 10 and 2014 Supersnakes. The difference between and the 07-09 Super Snakes and the 13/14s with the 5.8 is two worlds. Engine, tuning, power, suspension, transmission(ie shifting), ride, traction control, launch control(if equipped) are game changers. Depending on your love with GO, as Phil states, a paint gun can fix all that......I'd be willing to offer to have you come and drive my car so you can see the difference.

BUT if none of the upgraded goodies matter, then follow your heart and enjoy your car!! The GO IS a great color.

All the best with your build!

Hawkbarr

It's going to be nice. I am looking forward to seeing the pic's of it when it is done.

Thanks Grabber, staring at your car really got me on the GO, love it!!!

R

Thanks Robert, I had followed your thread before, and loved the passion you put into the resto. Hopefully mine isn't too bad, we will see!!! If i have any question, is it ok if I contact you?

Best,

Jim

Well thank you sir for the kind offer, I may be taking you up on that!!

Hi Masterslim,

Congrats on your decision! That's very exciting.

Some thoughts to consider......

I have driven 08, 09, 10 and 2014 Supersnakes. The difference between and the 07-09 Super Snakes and the 13/14s with the 5.8 is two worlds. Engine, tuning, power, suspension, transmission(ie shifting), ride, traction control, launch control(if equipped) are game changers. Depending on your love with GO, as Phil states, a paint gun can fix all that......I'd be willing to offer to have you come and drive my car so you can see the difference.

BUT if none of the upgraded goodies matter, then follow your heart and enjoy your car!! The GO IS a great color.

All the best with your build!

Hawkbarr

Hi Hawkbarr,

I totally hear what you are saying. While I am looking for the SS feel, I really wanted an early gen body style. I really like them, and already having a 12, I think I am more after the body style and true color I want over the extra HP. I'm good with 750 on this one:-)

But heck, if I'm in your neck of the woods, I wouldn't mind taking you up on your offer!! lol

Best regards

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Car loaded up today and is heading west!!! Frankie told me they are ready to start the line and that is only adding to that excitement all over again! I had been second guessing my choice of the Signature Edition, but I'm kinda glad I went for one of these over the new SGT. I have plenty of time to get into one of the new ones, and for the same price, no brainer IMO.
BTW, can anyone make out what car that is above mine? Porsche?

Jim

image-3_zps5cf42db9.jpegimage-1_zps8cadd0ba.jpegimage-2_zpsa9f15460.jpeg

Archived