TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Are My Tires Safe?

ZEROED

Are my tires safe? In November 2013, I bought a 2007 GT-500 with 89 miles on it. It had sat in the owner's garage in South Dakota for seven years. It now has 2400 miles on it. It is now in Texas and I have had it up to 140 mph a few times. I keep an eye on the tires, and they seem OK, but some people are telling me they are too old and not safe. In the summer, the roads can get very hot down here. Need some input. Thanks in advance.

PS: The car still smells new inside, and looks like it just came off the showroom floor. I love this car.

As already mentioned if you will be driving that fast consider new tires. Ask at your local dealership, they will tell you tp replace the tires every 7 or 8 years at the most.

While the tires may look very good, lots of tread left and sidewalls looking fine, consider how much the rubber compound has changed over the last few years even while the car sat inside.

Most RV dealers will also tell you to change tires on a trailer for safety sake, every 7 or 8 years.

So consider changing the tires and maybe you can sell them to someone who can use them on a farm implement, something that won't go over 15 miles an hour until the tread is worn out or the sidewall gives way.

Those original tires were likely made in 2006 and are 8 years old. Basically hockey pucks at this point. OK for mild driving short distance, but dangerous if you plan to actually drive the car. Strongly recommend you get away from the Goodyears. Most people agree the Michelins are the way to go, but opinions vary.

Still have the originals on my Shelby GT. Although its essentially a garage queen, w/ around 12K miles, I might think about changing mine next year....

Researching tires now. On this forum people talk about the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. What about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3? They seem to be better?

Another good tire to consider is the Hankook Ventus EVO K12 (i have them on my KR), and they work great in dry, wet, & track.

Also, the price point from Tirerack cannot be beat.

Nittos (either NT-05's or INVO's), Hankook EVO K12's or Michelin Pilot Sport or Super Sports. Those are the only tires I put on my own cars or customer cars anymore, depending on the customer's budget. I can't stand the BFG's due to 4WD noise and terrible wear after a few thousand miles. Any way you look at it, your 06 date Goodyears are not safe. Put Steeda or MM/Shelby C/C plates on your car to minimize inner tire wear if you plan on driving your car more as the 3" rubber bushing in the stock strut mount is horrible and deflects every time you turn the car.

Alex

Archived