TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2012 Red Gt350 'vert Auto A No Sale @$80K

I was there at the auction when this car was on the block. The results do not surprise me at all. In 2012, these were around $70k MSRP (with the supercharger upgrade option). How could $80k not buy this 2 year old, used car? Clearly these cars appeal to a very niche market. Only someone who is completely enamored with the back-story of the SAI GT350 would be interested in buying this example...and at an over-inflated price.

I was there at the auction when this car was on the block. The results do not surprise me at all. In 2012, these were around $70k MSRP (with the supercharger upgrade option). How could $80k not buy this 2 year old, used car? Clearly these cars appeal to a very niche market. Only someone who is completely enamored with the back-story of the SAI GT350 would be interested in buying this example...and at an over-inflated price.

So, this was your first post;

"I was there at the auction when this car was on the block. The results do not surprise me at all. In 2012, these were around $70k MSRP with the high-end options. How could $80k not buy this 2 year old, used car? Moreover, these cars appeal to a niche market when you can have a 2013/14 GT500 for less. Makes no sense to any intelligent buyer."

Edited to the post quoted above.

Why would you jump in and start bad mouthing people who happen to like/own the GT350? According to previous posts in this thread the bidding got to 80k. so obviously someone wanted the car, although in your eyes that's obviously an unintelligent buyer(s). And comparing the GT350 and the 500 is apples to oranges, good grief!

Oh, and if you had found a 2012 GT350 vert with the supercharger, as you state, for 70k and didn't buy it, shame on you.

well, you quoted me before i revised it, but nevertheless, i don't see it as "bad mouthing" anybody. i consider myself a Shelby-enthusiast, so that's really all the justification i need in order to contribute to this forum. i'm simply offering my observations, which i'm free to do. if you don't like it, that's not my problem.

in my opinion, that car was priced too high and the seller was not really looking to sell it. while there may be a buyer out there for it somewhere, he/she was not in attendance. i suspect prospective buyers for that car are few and far between as i believe that person would have to be someone who is really enamored by the Shelby American back-story in order to shell out the kind of money they are hoping to get for it. i just don't think it appeals to that many buyers, particularly at that price. furthermore, i believe that any reasonable person knows better than to spend MORE for a car than what it costs when it was new -- especially for a late-model, "used" vehicle, which is ultimately what this car is. now, if it were a Ford GT, that logic doesn't really apply (as you can see by the auction results), but that's a different story altogether.

I would agree that the 2011-2014 Shelby GT350s are "niche" market cars, but then again so are all the SAI vehicles built recently, and all the Shelbys built from 1962 until 1970 as well. I would also say the Ford GT is a very niche market, not may people who can afford it or want it, like all the others. Now, some Shelby badged cars, like the recent run of GT500s and also the recent GT500KRs are mass produced Ford factory cars that are lower priced, since there are so many made, and are not "niche" market cars. But all of that just shows they are in different markets with different buyers available, they are all great cars depending on how much you want to spend and the choice is always yours. Whether or not these "niche" market cars sell for more than the sticker prices depends on supply/demand and who knows what will happen, but a "niche" market car does have the potential to appreciate relatively soon after build, like the Ford GT did. I don't think the newly built GT350s will appreciate much if any soon, but I also could have bought a Ford GT in 2007-08 for less than sticker, then it just went crazy, so who knows?

yeah, pretty much agree with all of that. it was a great looking (and sounding car), but it's unreasonable to believe it will sell for more than MSRP at this point in time. they simply are not collector cars yet. in fact, based on market reaction alone, the Ford GT is really the only vehicle with similar lineage that can command collector car money right now, as a used, late model vehicle. those suckers are getting $100k+ over MSRP eight and nine years after the fact. pretty remarkable.

Well, remember, it is estimated that 50% of the original Ford GTs are now wrecked and either crushed or have been sold under a salvage title, that makes them even more "niche".

I kick myself, I remember like yesterday when they were going for under MSRP brand new, it was a short time period, wish I would have snagged one.

and also the recent GT500KRs are mass produced Ford factory cars

:headscratch: .... the 08-09 KR's were built in LV by SA, and are the manufacturer on record.

Yes, the base donor cars were built in Flatrock if thats what you meant

Well, all I can say is that something really big must have changed then after they built those 10,000 cars. Because, from 2011-2014 they were barely able to build a few hundred a year. It took almost a year for SAI to build my GT350, and that is about average, and they only built less than 120 or so of those each year. Add the SuperSnake and Raptors, at only a couple hundred total for that time period, and SAI was just not turning them out like the 10,000 they are supposed to have built from 2006-2009. What happened?

That tells us something right there for sure. If a member who has been on here for over 2 years with over 1,100 posts and one of the nicest late model GT350's out there doesn't even know that the KR's were built by SAI, then what does the future hold? There is going to be so much confusion years down the road about who built what, that it's going to be interesting. "That's a Ford built GT350, no, that's an SAI modified car" "That's not a real GT350, the title just says it's a Mustang GT" We already also have this problem with 07-08 Shelby GT's etc. It's going to be a confusing world of Shelby in the future. At least in the 60's, we know when Carroll closed up shop and when Ford took over production. I love them all and they are all Shelby's, but obviously confusion will ensue down the road.

True, the questions will go on and on as time does. It is always interesting to me to find out what SAI actually does when a car or truck arrives in 'Vegas. When I ordered my 50th Anniversary FIA Cobra last year at BJ from SAI, I assumed they did maybe as much on that car as they did on my GT350. I was there often as they built out (OK modified if you like, more precisely) the GT350. That car was practically a bare shell and disassembled, fenders, bumpers, hood, rear quarters, fascias, all suspension, driveline, brakes, engine, and much of the interior removed and replaced. That was a lot of work, and I did not complain that it took them almost a year to complete. My CSX 7972 (almost done), it was there maybe two weeks for inspections, some adjustments, and badging. That's it. Me thinks it all depends when you say SAI "built" it……... :)

Yes, I suspect so, and that brings me back to my confusion about the other cars, a very extensive "build" takes lots of time and people, something SAI probably did not have when they were building those 10,000 cars in a few years. Yes, they are all Shelbys and all great cars, and I also feel that way about my '68 KR, even if AO Smith people helped put it together in Livonia.

mikeljgt500kr....

If you haven't already, you really need to read this thread. It's one of the best on this forum;

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/72272-shelby-gt-design-team-meetings/

Even though it starts out about the Shelby GT, there's a lot of background provided by AJ (and others) about those days including the SGT-H and KRs since their production runs overlapped. I think AJ even mentions at one point they were shipping 50 cars a day from Vegas with 15 lifts in production.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess I've been looking at this all wrong. You see, I don't give a ratsass about 20-40 years down the road. I bought the Shelbys to drive and enjoy TODAY...instant gratification. When it comes time to sell, trade or retire one to get another one, then I'll do it, at whatever the market dictates.

Sometimes I think we really over analyze this stuff......drive it like you stole it!

Archived