TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gts Gone

1sgt

It looks like the GTS is gone after 2015 . When I drive around I see a lot of 2015 in the lot + e-bay 15 + 50th for sale . I don't much care for the GT350 stripes . I think Ford could have dome better ??

I have no idea what you're on about here, but I'm going to try to reply to what I think you were trying to say.

SAI hasn't announced any post-title or pre-title 2015 based cars at this point. With the GT350 out though at a rumored price of 52,999, I don't know how much market space will be left for a car of the GTS's stature. This has been the downfall of a number of pre-title aftermarket companies. Saleen is a good example. As the factories realize these niche markets and build cars for them in house, it reduces the opportunities for a company like SAI to come in and offer a competitively priced package. I don't think that the Roush Mustangs would be doing as well as they are if it wasn't for Jack Roush's relationship with the NASCAR community.

Perhaps there's still room out in the market for a 2015 based Shelby GTS, but it's going to have to compete head to head with the new GT350 and upcoming GT500 while offering comparable performance for comparable money. Only time will tell if there's a business case for them to produce something to fit that narrow criteria. Personally I think they'd be better served by offering upfitter packages for the GT350 and upcoming GT500, but that's just my 2 cents.

The title of this thread could be a little misleading so I thought I would clarify a few things. Yes as of today's date SAI does not offer and has not announced a GTS package for the newest Mustang, 2015-up.

But Shelby American does still offer the GTS package for the 2011-2014 V6 Mustang's, coupes and convertibles. I might add that having a 2011-12 GTS built is hands down the lowest entry point option of having a Shelby American built vehicle, complete with a unique Shelby serial (CSM) number.

Steve

Steve maybe you can help us what can you tell us about the Shelby stripes I know they had trouble years ago and the stripes are better we think ??

After all the warranty claims with the SGT stripes SAI not only changed the supplier but also made sure the vinyl material was sourced from a major manufacturer. It would appear that those changes have solved the majority of the vinyl stripe problems.

Steve

It would be a shame not to use it for a 2015+

I think the name GTS would be perfect for the 2015 ecoboost or the V6. I don't see why they wouldn't continue.

Maybe building Sheby GT and the GTS at the same time would get to confusing for the average Joe. ????

After all the warranty claims with the SGT stripes SAI not only changed the supplier but also made sure the vinyl material was sourced from a major manufacturer. It would appear that those changes have solved the majority of the vinyl stripe problems.

Interesting....any issues with the same vinyl supplier for the other models? I complained about mine lifting on the SS and they told me to apply super glue to fix it (assuming that is the issue you are eluding to?)....not exactly what you want to hear, nor have I done anything to resolve.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea what you're on about here, but I'm going to try to reply to what I think you were trying to say.

SAI hasn't announced any post-title or pre-title 2015 based cars at this point. With the GT350 out though at a rumored price of 52,999, I don't know how much market space will be left for a car of the GTS's stature. This has been the downfall of a number of pre-title aftermarket companies. Saleen is a good example. As the factories realize these niche markets and build cars for them in house, it reduces the opportunities for a company like SAI to come in and offer a competitively priced package. I don't think that the Roush Mustangs would be doing as well as they are if it wasn't for Jack Roush's relationship with the NASCAR community.

Perhaps there's still room out in the market for a 2015 based Shelby GTS, but it's going to have to compete head to head with the new GT350 and upcoming GT500 while offering comparable performance for comparable money. Only time will tell if there's a business case for them to produce something to fit that narrow criteria. Personally I think they'd be better served by offering upfitter packages for the GT350 and upcoming GT500, but that's just my 2 cents.

I cannot agree with your observation on the market lukewarm (or cold) reception to the GTS. SAI wanted the GTS to be an entry level Shelby for younger buyers to get them into the Shelby market and build loyalty. Great idea but very poor marketing and execution of the GTS program has been its limiting factor.

One, the few kids on Mustang blog sites that actually know what a GTS is after I tell them compare the parts that are applied to a GTS build against what they can purchase from AM and realize there is a huge price difference. Of course, their next question is ... why am I paying a lot more for the SHELBY name? Though they would love to have a Shelby; price matters and Roush gets it.

Two, SAI claims it is aiming the GTS program at younger buyers, however, they want a young buyer to do without a car for months while SAI meanders through the build. Kids will look at the parts and realize they can install the parts themselves and STILL have access to their car.

Three, the marketing on this program has been abysmal. Since I am retired military and my wife is still serving I have access to many kids around base. I have yet to show up at a gathering of Mustangs on any military post (and there are many) and have one, single soldier, recognize the GTS for what it is. Most think that it's a robo-Stang and simply bolted it together. Oh, and people do not recognize the car at car shows/cruise-ins either. I was actually chased off of a lot showing Shelby cars because no one knew what it was. I had the only GTS in the state according to SAI sales.

Four, SAI sales needs to be revitalized. I was told that my wife's GTS build would be 45-60 days in late 2011. I bought the car for my wife to celebrate her safe return from Afghanistan which would be in April 2012. I plunked my money down in advance and then the build dates changed to 90-120 days. I didn't get the car until 45 days after her return. I ordered, and paid in advance for, the wheel/tire package which was 19" GT4s. Of course, I know now that 19" GT4s are as rare as hobbits; I received 18" rims. I ordered, and paid in advance for, the GTS interior last year and was sent a pic of the correct GTS logo, you know, the one that is on the program brochure. I received an interior with block GTS lettering.

Lastly, there seems to be a lack of customer support and it needs to be fixed. I hear that some of had zero issues with SAI. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but when I asked for the timeline build to be accelerated after the new surprise date, the wheel/tire package issue be rectified, and the interior GTS logos be replaced with what was sold to me I got dead silence. In every case I had to push my issues to Gary Patterson to get noted. In the end, I didn't get the car in the time frame I was quoted and paid for. Based on that I got everything else in writing. However, after denials that I was ever sold the 19" GT4s I sent them the email and they agreed to replace the rims with whatever rims I wanted. I never got them replaced because I damaged one of the rims and didn't feel right returning it. The interior was the last straw. After I sent SAI their email showing the correct GTS logo sold to me they agreed that they would pay to have new panels done by their contractor but I would have to pay $175 a panel (X4) to have them installed. ??? Why? Because I should have noted the wrong logo before it was installed. Well, it's a long story spread out over thousands of miles but this was the second interior sent, to two different installers, in two states. I did not see this logo.

I've waited decades to own a Shelby convertible and I now own two, a GT500 and the GTS. I had every intention of buying a third Shelby because we have 3 kids and each would get one but if I am required to pay in advance and HOPE that I get what I pay for then I'm no longer interested. Lets face it, these cars are expensive, nice, and collectible but I use ours daily - even in minus degree weather in Iowa. I think a Saleen Mustang could be in one of my kids future. Having said all of that, I continue to check the SAI site to see if there are issues/fixes for our cars ... that's why I'm still in this forum.

Archived