TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tune Question

Dismantle

Simple questions I am sure.

I have had a few of my friends say I should get my 2010 Shelby tuned since I live in Denver.

Would you agree also wouldn't this void any warranty?

Should I see performance gains?

You may not get more performance but it should be better performance.

Any aftermarket tune may cause a warranty issue - and leaving it in your car when serviced is an open invitation for the dealer to not even try. You can try having a tune created that also adds some more power or gooses throttle response, but that's always at your own risk.

1). I have had a few of my friends say I should get my 2010 Shelby tuned since I live in Denver.

2). Would you agree also wouldn't this void any warranty?

3). Should I see performance gains?

1): You say, "since I live in Denver" so I assume that your friends are saying you need a tune because of the *altitude* in Denver? If that's the case, it isn't accurate. Your Ford Motor Company EEC EFI system is MAF based and is self compensating for altitude. MAF based systems are the best when it comes to compensating too.

2): Since you have a 2010 your warranty is only the drivetrain part of the warranty so it is very possible that just about any problem you have could be blamed on and impacted by a tune. Internal engine problems (burned valves or pistons, etc), transmission problems (broken/chipped gears, syncro rings, etc.), rear axle problems (gears, axles, etc.) would be real easy for a dealer to blame a increase of horsepower for the problem.

3): You should see a increase in power over a stock "emission" tune but it would entirely depend on who tunes it and to what level of performance they tune it too. The stock tune isn't for ultimate performance, it is for the best emissions with the best (possible) performance at the same time. It's a compromise of sorts.

Phill

Thanks Phil and Madlock.

I have an aftermarket warranty through Toyota (long story) for the next 5 years or 50k miles which ever comes first.

I expected better throttle response but was curious on the big power gains a few of my buddies were saying would happen.

Basically I figured unless i did an after market CAI and new pulley that the tune is pretty pointless outside of the throttle response of course.

Thanks Phil and Madlock.

I have an aftermarket warranty through Toyota (long story) for the next 5 years or 50k miles which ever comes first.

I expected better throttle response but was curious on the big power gains a few of my buddies were saying would happen.

Basically I figured unless i did an after market CAI and new pulley that the tune is pretty pointless outside of the throttle response of course.

You will realize power gains with just a tune. How much is going to depend upon who does the tune and how aggressive.

You will realize measurable power gains with a tune and CAI. I am not saying this estimate is accurate, but several of the reliable tuners advertise 50 to 60 HP gain with CAI and Tuner.

You will realize even greater power gains with a tune, CAI, and Pulley. Again, cannot say the estimate is accurate, but several of the reliable tuners advertise gains of 100 HP gain with CAI, Tune, and Pulley.

I too have a concern on warranty, since i have the extended for warranty. Currently I am running a JLT CAI and a Lund tune. And while I do not have dyno proof, I assure you that I gained measurable HP, along with stock like driveability and massively improved responsiveness. My thought is this. If something comes up that the car needs to go in for a warranty issue, I can swap the stock air intake back on, and reset to the stock tune in about 10 minutes. This is one of the reasons I do not do the pulley change at this point. There are tuners that have "stock look" pulleys that look exactly like stock. That of course would not explain an add on tensioner pulley......

If you have never done a before and after drive of yours or a like car with a tune and CAI, you will be amazed at the difference it makes........One of your buddies must have just a CAI and tune, and no pulley swap????

All just my opinion of course.

Mike

About 50 years ago you would have been right. In the 60's and 70's when we went from Iowa to Colorado on vacation my dad had the carburetor adjusted (rejetted) for high altitude. However, all modern Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) controllers are closed loop and include altitude compensation and knock sensors (unless you happen to have a Roush 427IR with a badly set up Accel DFI controller without altitude compensation, but that's another story). But that is intended to keep the engine timing and spark from "knock". The effect is that going from sea level to 5000' results in, as I recall it being calculated, about a 15% loss in HP (Jeff probably has this down to gnat's a**). You can get a tune that will return some of that to you (usually a modest HP improvement with a CAI) but maybe you get 50HP. That is all but indistinguishable to the casual observer.

BIG CAUTION FOLLOWS:

Some people at high altitude are tempted to try to take their engine to the max rated for the engine. My recollection on the 3V4.6L was the maximum HP capability of the engine was something like 625HP (Jeff again can confirm). So taking the engine to 600-ish HP at 5000' would have resulted in something like 650+ at sea level. So if you took your engine set for max hp at high altitude (with a good EFI closed loop system) down to sea level, you'd be over what the engine can tolerate and could have a disaster...

Thanks guys!

Barspen you have really good taste with that color combo.

GoTo my buddy who said go get it tuned runs mini's and said i would see some significant gains i believe he was looking at it like twobjs said.

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't the 2010 come with the CAI stock? I'm looking at getting the kit from VMP and it only comes with the pulley and tuner on the 2010-12 kit. I'll add the pulley puller & the resonator delete to it. Just making an observation. . .

They all have CAI...aftermarket ones, like JTL and others, are much wider and the filter has additional surface area to pull in more air. I'm sure you can keep the stock tube or use a res delete (which looks much better) and still see good gains with a pulley and tune.

Archived