TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Heat Soak?

mark.barton

I ran into an interesting problem this year when I was driving my car on the road course at Heartland Park and I think I know what it is and how to solve it, but wanted to ask the groups opinion.

After two or three laps, accelerating out of the final corner on to the main straight, in second gear, the engine would go flat (a nose over type of flat) for a split second at wide open throttle, come back to full song, go flat again and come back. I could then shift to third, go wide open throttle down the straight with the engine feeling like it was pulling like it was supposed to. Forth gear, no problem. The throttle response was fine the remainder of the lap (slow second gear corners with hard acceleration out, fast corners, it didn't seem to matter). I thought I had forgotten to turn off the traction and stability control, so I stopped in the pits and verified the system was off. First lap out of the pits, things were fine. Next lap, back to the nose over.

I think I'm suffering from the dreaded heat soak. Ambient temperatures were in the 80's one day and 90's on another day. I think upgrading the heat exchanger would solve the problem, but my question is: do I need a heat exchanger with fans or would a dual pass without fans work or is this a problem that has nothing to do with heat soak?

Opinions?

Mark

I don't think you're describing heat soak.

When mine would do it, I'd just be down on power across the board. I'd go from blowing the tires off to barely being able to spin them but that's it.

Yours sounds like a fuel starvation problem.

Phill

+1 but you still need the heat exchanger with fans upgrade if you're tracking it.

Even if you're not (tracking it).

I'd get heat soak and very noticeable power loss with just some spirited driving on the street, after about 2 or 3 'stoplight' blasts.

And worse after installing the Whipple 2.9L SC.

Phill

Yeah.... that's not heat soak. Heat soak is more of a constant continuing issue you can feel after you've been driving the car hard for a short period of time. Basically, it feels like the car has become lethargic and down on power and you have to let the engine cool off before the heat soak will go away. A good heat exchanger (as others mentioned) and radiator upgrade along with a larger capacity heat exchanger coolant reservoir will combat the heat soak issue. And if you're going to the extent or replacing the heat exchanger, get the fans.

I think Phill is on to something with his idea. Your problem comes and goes quickly and indicative of a fuel delivery issue.

I don't think you're describing heat soak.

When mine would do it, I'd just be down on power across the board. I'd go from blowing the tires off to barely being able to spin them but that's it.

Yours sounds like a fuel starvation problem.

Phill

It just seems so strange that it's noticeable only in that one corner exit (that's why I first thought it was the stability control kicking in. Same feeling). The rest of the lap, the car pulls as hard as it ever has.

Question though: Would fuel starvation throw any error codes into the ECU that could be looked into? No check engine lights or warnings on the car, but just curious.

On the fuel issue- have you changed the in-line fuel filter lately (inside the frame rail under the driver's door)? If not that, maybe it's your belt slipping on the supercharger pulley, causing lost boost?

Replacing the fuel filter is on my list of maintenance items for the winter. I added it to my list after reading Phil's and Viper's posts and considering the car has 36K miles and I doubt the filter has ever been changed.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name="mark.barton" Replacing the fuel filter is on my list of maintenance items for the winter. I added it to my list after reading Phil's and Viper's posts and considering the car has 36K miles and I doubt the filter has ever been changed.

Mark

The fuel filter should be replaced every 30k miles according to standard maintenance. Speaking on maintenance...the service manual says to replace the spark plugs at 90k miles, however the supplemental SVT manual says to replace spark plugs every 45k miles.

Replacing the fuel filter is on my list of maintenance items for the winter. I added it to my list after reading Phil's and Viper's posts and considering the car has 36K miles and I doubt the filter has ever been changed.

Mark

Replacing the fuel filter is super easy, takes about 30-45 minutes and costs about $11. I do it every year. http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/83430-fuel-filter-replacement-nice-improvement-in-throttle-response/

Archived