TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What To Look For When Buying '07-09 Gt500

Bushmaster

I just sold my '08 GT-C back to its previous owner and now I'm on the hunt for a GT500. Anything in particular I need to keep an eye out for when shopping for one? I'm specifically looking for a low miles, black or alloy, black stripes or stripe delete. I'd prefer to find one in Texas but might consider out-of-state cars. From the little bit of looking I've done it looks like it shouldn't be too hard to find what I want, but I want to make sure I don't make a big mistake. Any advice for a prospective GT500 owner?

Mostly horsepower! I thought about supercharging the SGT but to get the car to GT500 power levels would have been too expensive. And I've always thought that the '07-09 GT500s were probably the best-looking Mustangs ever made, so it's always been on my wish list.

Thanks for the tip - I will definitely put that on the "must check" list.

I'd love a KR but unfortunately, that's a bit out of my price range. I'll be happy to "settle" for a GT500. Looks like a nice low miles GT500 shouldn't be hard to find - like you said, at any given time, it looks like there's several around. Just a matter of finding the right one and making the right deal.

some will disagree, but if you can find one that has decent mods (that hasn't been ragged out), that would be the best bang for the buck. the cold-air intake and pulley swap is the most common modification and an indicator (to me) that the owner is a bit of an amatuer. find one with good suspension mods, cooling upgrades or other, less common modifications and you'll find an enthusiast who takes the car more serious. again, this could save you a lot of money, as long as the car has been well-maintained.

Well, my personal preference is always for an unmodified car, but in our hobby, that can be rare. Buying a modified one can work out great, but for me, only if the modifications are pure bolt-ons and I know personally the shop or person who did the work. There are just too many abortions out there where a bad shop did bad work and the car was never right afterwards. It can be hard to sort out the bad shops from the good ones - even the best shops get occasional negative feedback (because a LOT of customers have totally unrealistic expectations of how much work costs and how long it takes to accomplish).

Very good to know - thanks!

If you plan of modding beyond a tune and a pulley that harmonic balancer needs to be changed out to the lighter one per Ford Racing recommendations. So that upgrade is worth looking into. As you know I have a 2007 and 2009 in the garage (2009 - Tana's car) and I also will tell you that the 2009 has factory serius satellite radio and the hocky puck antenna on the back of the trunk lid.

HID's were an option for 2008 also. 2008 also has the lighter harmonic balancer installed form the Ford assy. line, 2007 was the only year with the factory installed heavy balancer. 2007/2008 had a N/C sat. radio delete option, 2009 sat radio was standard with no delete option. Some 2007/08's will have sat., some won't, it depends upon if sat. radio delete was chosen before the build. In 2009-up, they all have hockey pucks (some call them black heads) on the trunk lid.

Not that it is anything except trivia................at some point in 2008 (maybe it is 2007 only?) Ford decided they did not need the exhaust system hangers at the trans cross member, so on the later cars the complete weight of the system is held at the manifolds and muffler hangers, the earlier cars had exhaust hanger points at the cross member. My 3/2008 did not have the mid-hangers, but I noticed that the Shelby 3" JBA Super Snake optional exhaust system had hangers on the mid-pipe??? I wondered "what's up with that?? Then I found that the 2007 cross member is a different part number from 2008/09............and it has hang points left and right for the mid-pipe.

R

Ford changed the cross member so it would work on standard V6 Mustangs if it is flipped over. It helped standardize parts. If you ever remove it, make sure you put it on with the right side up for a 5.4 motor. It will work the wrong way...and causes vibration in-between shifts on the transmission.

Ford changed the cross member so it would work on standard V6 Mustangs if it is flipped over. It helped standardize parts. If you ever remove it, make sure you put it on with the right side up for a 5.4 motor. It will work the wrong way...and causes vibration in-between shifts on the transmission.

That sounds like something they would do, and it also saved the time of welding two hangers on each oem V8 mid-pipe. The cross member (early and late) were clearly marked for correct installation, but I did not realize that a flip over would work on the V6 application.

I bought the early cross member for use with my 3" because hanging all of the system weight on the manifold studs and two points on each side all the way at the back was not what I wanted since there was a mid-point hanger option, and it all fit together nicely. Didn't the newer (maybe 2010-up or 2011-up) go to a three mounting points set up for the mufflers? <<Anyway, I know this is not in the scope of this discussion.

Thanks for the info.

R

Send me an IM. I was just about to part out and trade my car in. Details 2007, Black and Black (Was 1/151 stripe deletes, now has flat black stripes), OEM Original KR hood, 09 Factory HIDS, 20's Alcoa's TVS, FFRP lower ssprings. Innovaters west 15% lower, TVS with VMP elbow and tune, SVT-1 rear exhaust.

Archived