TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Gt500Kr Post Title Options

Yes. That's what I'm basing my current upgrade on.

I have the sill plates and floor mats. The dash gauges, and CF rockers are on the way. The floor mats and wheels are no longer available. Next year I'm thinking about the TS upgrade and are brakes.

The two-tone interior upgrade with console cover and KR shifter ball is on the way as well.

AK.

This is the only SAI-modded car I would consider buying besides a 2007-08 Shelby GT/SC. The 20" wheel package and TVS are enough to convince me, but I'd still need to add an aluminum DS and upgraded heat exchanger to complete the car. Just curious how many of these were completed by the "factory", if any.

I know that many owners had the package installed and some had only parts of the package installed. Those KRs that did receive the package or any part of it were updated in the registry. $16K was (and is) a lot for the, but for me, being able to get it piece by piece makes it much more affordable.

AK.

yeah, i agree it's pricey for me too. couple that with an MSRP of $80k and your are knocking on the door of a triple-digit cost. i looked at the 40th anniversary package before it was discontinued, but even $14k seemed like a lot for what you got. none of the SAI packages really did it for me, so i chose to cherry pick the things i liked about them and focus solely on adding the modifications that actually enhance performance versus things that are merely decorative. good to know there are some GT500KRs out there with this post-title option added though.

That list is basically the Up-fitter package offered by SAI back in the day. It was pricey but offered all the bits that Ford nixed. It was $16K. Because of the fact the KR was a "pre-title" vehicle the package had to be installed at SAI in Las Vegas. It could not be installed by anyone other than SAI as a package. That made it completely impractical for a lot of owners even if they were contemplating the upfitter package.

While we can all agree it would have been really great to see all the upfitter bits on the KR originally fact is the originals did not come with those bits especially the TVS and wheels (ride comfort and warranty concerns) along with future marketing progressions for the GT500 from 2010 through the end of the GT500 production life where the GT500 ended up with a 5.8L and a TVS putting out 650hp in 2014. Would have been hard selling cars with prior models sold off showroom floors eclipsing new cars in performance for 5 years.

Yeah, the TVS would have been great but Ford said "no" for their own selfish reasons but understandable from their perspective. Again, remember at the time 540hp was the top of the food chain for GT500's and 40hp more than the standard cars 500 hp and it's suspension far outclassed the standard GT500 it was the "King of the Road" at that time and still is in a number of ways. It wasn't until until the 2010 that the GT500 matched the KR in power and suspension but still didn't have the KR's styling bits and it's fantastic hood and Alcoa wheels. In fact no GT500 has matched the KR is styling and looks IMHO. A KR is still a KR.

The TVS was not available for mass production at the time per the actual engineer who designed the car. It had nothing to do with Ford being "selfish" or not wanting to "eclipse" their future plans. The 18" wheels were chosen by SVT and Shelby engineers because they handled the best, not because of ride comfort.

The TVS was not available for mass production at the time per the actual engineer who designed the car. It had nothing to do with Ford being "selfish" or not wanting to "eclipse" their future plans. The 18" wheels were chosen by SVT and Shelby engineers because they handled the best, not because of ride comfort.

While it may be true that the TVS was not ready for mass production (per your unidentified source) the KR, however, was not a "mass production car" and Amy and Roger were very clear on what we discussed back then during the relevant time period.

Sideoiler: In answer to your quesiton...very little. Merely bragging rights. In fact even the KR with it's advertised paltry stock 540hp as produced breaks its rear tires loose at will in first and second gear. Again, there are plenty of dyno results posted/report that show the KR stock power actually at 580hp at around the crank.

You need mucho more tire and better tire for that 660+ hp to mean anything. In fact my neighbor has a 2014 GT500 and complains it is way too under tired. My response was "yeah, tell me about it. The KR has 540hp and can't hook up worth a damn. Its a major problem for any stock GT500.

I could easily put a TVS on my KR and huge 305's in the rear but what for. It's torquey enough and powerful enough stock as is. Unless I'm looking for 1/4 mile times or horsepower "bragging rights" at car shows/cruise nights I have no need for a TVS. Being that its a KR it's plenty cool enough at cruise nights and car shows as is and I think cooler and cooler if left factory stock as time goes on.

I'm spending my "play money" this winter on the Boss making it an ever "harder core" track weapon for next season. Gonna be more Z28s, C7s and new Mustang GTs to contend with next season for sure. In fact, like I said old school is cool. I just got in our die cut rear window stickers for our track group (mostly Boss 302's and some modified Shelby GTs) that says "Underdog Racing" Hey, everybody loves an underdog.

; )

In fact even the KR with it's advertised paltry stock 540hp as produced breaks its rear tire loose at will in first and second gear. Again, there are plenty of dyno results posted/report that show the KR stock power actually at 580hp at around the crank.

You need mucho more tire and better tire for that 660+ hp to mean anything. In fact my neighbor has a 2014 GT500 and complains it is way too under tired. My response was "yeah, tell me about it. The KR has 540hp and can't hook up worth a damn. Its a major problem for any stock GT500.

That's just those crap Goodyears getting in the way. No heat and they spin, add heat and they wheelhop.

The source is Jamal Hameedi, as quoted in the book I mentioned, the head SVT designer of the GT500 and KR. It's not a big deal. The simple fact is the TVS is available now but wasn't back then when the KR was being built. Hey, I'd like a KR too but at the time the one at my dealer was $96,500 more than my GT500. :drop:

Well I do agree that in the end it matters not whether it was unavailability or Ford nixing the TVS on the KR production part list. The facts are set as to the history of the cars standard equipment and improvements. I will point out though that the up fitter kit offering the FRPP blower (TVS) was offered and available even before the first cars were delivered. Again, and importantly Ford would not allow the up fitter to kit to be installed any where or by anyone else except at SAI in Las Vegas. Clearly, evidence of the weight given to what Ford wanted and the control they had over the KR. Amy and Roger both told me in a number of conversations I had with them personally that Carroll wanted the KR to have the power of the entry level Super Snake but Ford said absolutely not. Remember we are talking 2007 and 500hp was BIG power at that time. The KR had 40 more hp than the '07, '08 and '09 GT500. It wasn't until at least 2012 that the GT500 had 550hp only 10 more than the KR. Between 2010 and 2011 the power was 540hp same as the KR. It wasn't until 2013 with the 5.8 aluminum block the jump to 662hp was made. The last thing Ford wanted was a pre-title true Shelby GT500 eclipsing their production cars for years to come. Fact. I was also advised that warranty concerns also played a role. That is what I was told and makes sense from a marketing production standpoint. But in the end the history books are etched as to the KRs standard equipment.

Everything also needs to be viewed in context and through the prism of that time. In 1965 350hp was BIG power on a production car and in 2007 500hp was BIG power on a production car.

Again, not only did the KR make 40 more advertised horses than the 2007-2009 GT500 it also was a true production Shelby, it's suspension and handling was far superior and it had really beautiful Shelby parts and accents and was truly limited production. We know now its the last of its kind. It clearly deserved it's moniker "King of the Road" at the time just as the 1968 KR did in it's time.

Are you saying your dealer wanted $130K for a KR? That was an over the top price even at the height of all the hype. My dealer wanted $100K towards the end of the summer of 2008 for my very car I eventually bought when it came in. I offered list. They thumbed their nose at me telling me they sold two KRs previously for $100K. I congratulate them and walked out. The market crashes about a month later. A year later I go back in and buy my car (still sitting there) for $62k with the dealer whining like a baby with a dirty diaper about losing money on the car.

I reminded them of all the money they made on the two KRs they got $100K for and my offer a year prior to pay list of $84K for my very car at that time on which they still would have made a nice profit.

Revenge is sweet.

Well I do agree that in the end it matters not whether it was unavailability or Ford nixing the TVS on the KR production part list. The facts are set as to the history of the cars standard equipment and improvements. I will point out though that the up fitter kit offering the FRPP blower (TVS) was offered and available even before the first cars were delivered. Again, and importantly Ford would not allow the up fitter to kit to be installed any where or by anyone else except at SAI in Las Vegas. Clearly, evidence of the weight given to what Ford wanted and the control they had over the KR. Amy and Roger both told me in a number of conversations I had with them personally that Carroll wanted the KR to have the power of the entry level Super Snake but Ford said absolutely not. Remember we are talking 2007 and 500hp was BIG power at that time. The KR had 40 more hp than the '07, '08 and '09 GT500. It wasn't until at least 2012 that the GT500 had 550hp only 10 more than the KR. Between 2010 and 2011 the power was 540hp same as the KR. It wasn't until 2013 with the 5.8 aluminum block the jump to 662hp was made. The last thing Ford wanted was a pre-title true Shelby GT500 eclipsing their production cars for years to come. Fact. I was also advised that warranty concerns also played a role. That is what I was told and makes sense from a marketing production standpoint. But in the end the history books are etched as to the KRs standard equipment.

Everything also needs to be viewed in context and through the prism of that time. In 1965 350hp was BIG power on a production car and in 2007 500hp was BIG power on a production car.

Again, not only did the KR make 40 more advertised horses than the 2007-2009 GT500 it also was a true production Shelby, it's suspension and handling was far superior and it had really beautiful Shelby parts and accents and was truly limited production. We know now its the last of its kind. It clearly deserved it's moniker "King of the Road" at the time just as the 1968 KR did in it's time.

Are you saying your dealer wanted $130K for a KR? That was an over the top price even at the height of all the hype. My dealer wanted $100K towards the end of the summer of 2008 for my very car I eventually bought when it came in. I offered list. They thumbed their nose at me telling me they sold two KRs previously for $100K. I congratulate them and walked out. The market crashes about a month later. A year later I go back in and buy my car (still sitting there) for $62k with the dealer whining like a baby with a dirty diaper about losing money on the car.

I reminded them of all the money they made on the two KRs they got $100K for and my offer a year prior to pay list of $84K for my very car at that time on which they still would have made a nice profit.

Revenge is sweet.

2010 GT500 was last year with the 5.4L iron block and like the KR, was rated at 540hp. 2011 GT500 was the first year of the aluminum 5.4L block - which received a 10hp bump to 550hp.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's what the KR "should" have been at the time of release.....

Everything the car came with plus the following:

- TVS blower

- Carbon fiber rocker panels

- CSM numbered sill plates

- 19" Alcoa rims

- GT500KR floor mats

- 6 piston brakes

- KR car cover

Would have been a nice touch considering the overall cost of the package. I eventually plan to order a custom silver/ blue stripe cover with the CSM# embroidered on the front of the hood.

Archived