TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Group Buy I I I -Shelby Performance Clutches

SPP Keith

Hello team,

I'm pleased to offer you our group buy number three, Shelby Performance Clutches. For quite some time, the systems we've previously installed have not been up to our standard on the test vehicles we use & abuse here and we needed a better setup catered to our feedback and needs. What is being offered is the cumulative effort between us and one of our technical partners, Ace Manufacturing. Known already in the racing industry, they have perfected an exclusive design called Powerforce, which utilizes patented levers that operate with assistance from centrifugal force. In addition, the friction material used (combined with other proprietary design implementations) has lent their systems to have a factory clutch pedal feel. This even includes their triple disc system that has a torque capacity of 1700 ft/lbs!!

All clutch kits come assembled and mounted to their (included) aluminum flywheels and come with an installation kit for your application. The systems are lightweight (saving a minimum of 15lbs off stock assemblies), feature a hard anodized midnight-blue finish and are made in the USA. These have been truly track tested and Shelby approved!

These systems will hit our shelves in the second week of January and we will stock them here at SPP, as well as use them on the production line. The group buy will be more traditional in the sense that I am offering $200 off twin disc and $250 off triple disc retail pricing for the first 15 team Shelby members that preorder this system from us. I will manage the group buy so if you're interested in getting your order in, please email me keithc@shelbyamerican.com with your name and member number (I'll email you a confirmation) and I'll call you back to place the order. Please feel free to also email me with any questions you have. We'll update this posting with actual pictures of the final finish as soon as possible.

Here's some technical information for you:

Made in the USA!

Shelby High Performance Clutches are manufactured by Ace Racing Clutches in Sullivan, Missouri. They are the last true American clutch manufacturer. These clutches are engineered, machined, built, and tested under the same roof at Ace to insure quality and performance.

Light-Weight Construction

Shelby High Performance Clutches are made from light-weight forged aluminum. The cover is forged from 7075-T6 aluminum and the flywheel is forged from 6065-T6 aluminum. Weighing as little as 35 pounds, compared to the 50+ pounds of a stock clutch, these clutches unlock potential horsepower that heavy, stamped steel clutches consume. This light weight construction also allows for faster revs, quicker acceleration, and easier rev matching on down shifts.

Sprung Hub Discs

Most performance clutches use a rigid center hub because they are limited on space with a stamped steel design. Shelby High Performance Clutches were engineered with drivability and longevity in mind. They are designed with sprung hub disc centers to reduce gear rattle, allow smooth engagement, and increase the life of your transmission compared to rigid center hubs.

Proprietary Friction Material

Ace houses its own friction materials department too, where they develop specific blends to maximize drivability and torque holding capacity. No other clutch domestic clutch company makes their own friction materials. This allows Ace to fine tune the friction to each clutch line and its intended use. Ace tests their friction on their in-house dyno to ensure performance.

Patented Centrifugal-Assist Levers

Shelby High Performance Clutches contain Ace’s patented Centrifugal-Assist lever technology. This technology was born from Ace’s 6.25” NHRA Pro Stock clutch. This technology allows each clutch to have more torque holding capacity without increasing the driver’s pedal effort. Ace has tuned this line of High Performance Shelby Clutches to have 15% more torque holding capacity at peak torque RPM. How it works is pure physics! Illustrated in the image below, as the engine RPM increases the levers are forced outward. The lever pivots and applies direct pressure to the pressure plate.

How POWERFORCE Technology Works!

These clutches use centrifugal force to increase plate load as the engine increases RPM. As the engine speeds up, the patented lever assist technology pushes down on the pressure plate increasing the torque capacity by 15% or more. As the engine spins, forces are exerted outward: the same way spinning in a circle causes a person's arms to rise from their side. The levers experience the same force and the outer edge of the lever pulls away from the clutch as the engine RPM increases.
This puts a more efficient and positive load on the pressure plate, unlike other systems that place weights on the diaphragms that will deflect. The patented lever assist technology, combined with Ace's superior friction materials makes it a logical choice for any Shelby or Mustang owner.

PowerForce.JPG

Current Applications:

*if you need an application outside of these please email me*

2005-2010 GT 4.6L twin disc

2011-2012 V6 3.7L twin disc

2011-2013 GT 5.0L twin disc

2014 GT 5.0L twin disc

2007-2009 GT500 5.4L twin disc

2010-2012 GT500 5.4L twin disc

2013-2014 GT500 5.8L twin disc

2010-2012 GT500 5.4L triple disc

2013-2014 GT500 5.8L triple disc

Twin disc holding capacity is approx. 1150 ft/lbs.

Triple disc holding capacity is approx. 1700 ft/lbs. (we recommend this for anyone making over 800 so they have room to upgrade)

Retail for twin disc system are $1699.99

Retail for triple disc systems are $2199.99

Thanks so much!!!

Black Shelby Clutch.jpg

This is the clutch assy. I saw at last years Bash. It looks like just the ticket to replace the two popular clutches available to GT500 owners at this time.

I may be interested in one.

Phill

Can you install this after the end of the shelby bash?

cbrbear,

We'd be happy to schedule this work for you here at Shelby. Please contact Brian Turner at briant@shelbyamerican.com or 702-405-3500 ext 170 and he'll get you all sorted out. Don't forget today is the last day of the gift certificate promotion if you want to get in on that. Thanks!

Got mine in. Pleasure dealing with Keith going to have Shelby Install it for me and get the new interior done as well. Can't wait.

Please keep us updated on the results.

I've been waiting for this clutch to come out since I first saw it at Shelby during the Bash.

It looks like it's jus the ticket.

Phill

How do these compare in feeling to the SPEC or Mcleod clutches?

Also, any chatter?

Thanks.

Hi Will,

These clutches have no chatter. The Powerforce levers (and additional 15% clamping force) are unique to this product. The Powerforce design will not distort the diaphragm like some others that use a weighted diaphragm. Also, all of our kits come with a new, forged aluminum flywheel whereas other companies may utilize flywheel adapters. A lot of development time was spent on ensuring these have a near-OEM pedal feel on the twin disc systems. The triple disc setups will have only a slightly firmer pedal feel. Hope this helps!

Please keep us updated on the results.

I've been waiting for this clutch to come out since I first saw it at Shelby during the Bash.

It looks like it's jus the ticket.

Phill

I have my instalation date tenatively set for the 4th week of January. I'll keep you posted, Going to get the interior upgraded as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Team,

Clutches are being assembled now and it looks like the first stocking batch is shipping out to us the end of this week and beginning of next! That's being the case, we'll be shipping these out to the pre-order customers by the end of next week! We're all very excited here to start offering these to SPP customers!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Team,

Clutches are being assembled now and it looks like the first stocking batch is shipping out to us the end of this week and beginning of next! That's being the case, we'll be shipping these out to the pre-order customers by the end of next week! We're all very excited here to start offering these to SPP customers!

Hello,

Has anyone installed one of these units in their cars? If so, any feedback is appreciated!

Dan

• 4 weeks later...

Is the group buy still open?

Also from my understanding you're saying all 3 drive discs are sprung hub in the triple disc clutches. I talked with Ace Manufacturing not long ago about this clutch, but in their version. Their version of the triple disc has 2 sprung hubs with the center drive disc being a non-sprung hub. Does your triple disc have all 3 drive discs hubs sprung?

• 1 month later...

My car only has 10,000 miles on it and doesn't seem to be slipping, and it is shifting smooth, however it does have the occasional chatter upon release if the revs are too high.......my concern has always been that I don't trust any of the local Ford dealers to do high quality work on a Shelby automobile and was wondering if Shelby American ( I visited the museum in Las Vegas) would actually "work" on our older ( 2008) Shelby automobiles ?? I would gladly drive out from Kansas City to Las Vegas if I knew I could get high quality work done with high performance parts. If SPP Keith reads this, please let me know if this is possible in the future. Thank you.

Mr. Hanley,

On the triple discs systems, the front and rear discs are sprung and the center disc is rigid due to spatial limitations in the assembly. There simply isn't enough room to have all three sprung on our units. Please feel free to reach out to me directly with further questions.

blackcad55,

We do provide this installation service at our Las Vegas facility through our new SPC (Shelby Performance Center). Please email Brian Turner bturner@shelbyamerican.com for a quote and to set up and appointment. I can be reached with any further questions at keithc@shelbyamerican.com

Thanks!

Archived