TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Time For New Tires

I'm looking at trying either the Firehawk Indy 500, or the Bridgestone Pole Position, staggered, on mine. Hoping for more straight line grip, but I do like an occasional mountain run. Any thoughts? I'm running 555's now and love them in the curves, but not so much at hookup. TIA...

Running B-Stone Potenza S-04 Pole Positions on all four corners (staggered) on my 2008 Saleen Gurney car.

They are INCREDIBLY sticky and ride decent for low pro performance tires. I got them on sale too, and love them!

The Gurney is an S/C'd 4.6 with 460 horses , and they handle the power wonderfully! I took the risk from reading reviews, and have been VERY happy! :victory:

• 1 year later...

Mickey Thompson Street comp 275/40-18 on 10” Forgestars on all four corners. 300 treadwear tire but much better than 10 year OEs on 235. Turn in is tremendous now. Almost perfectly OE size. Plenty of tire height and width wise.

• 2 months later...
On 11/22/2014 at 11:49 PM, ledfoot73 said:

Michelin Pilot Super Sports, awesome tire! Best grip I've had at the track so far on a street tire and has a 300 tread wear rating for what that's worth. I'm no longer running 18" wheels so I'm not sure about sizes with that wheel. I think the BFG Sport Comp 2 looks interesting also, the pricing and tread wear ratings with the grip it is supposed to provide is compelling.

I’ve been running the BFG Sport Comp2s, and they have been great.  I’ve even used two different sets at the track, and they perform very well in all temps and even rain on the track.  First set is getting old (age-wise even though still plenty of tread) so I'm looking to upgrade to some better track worthy tires....Bridgestone RE-71 or Falken 615K or Hankook RS4.  These three were recommendations from the Track Mustangs Online website.  I’m told they are decent on the street but make a huge difference on the track.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys. I need to change my tires. Although they are with only 9K miles on it, they are 11+ years old. I read above that some people (with original rims) like to use 255/45/18 tires. But I'm wondering if this size won't rub with the fenders. With my originals 235/50/18, occasionally there is some rubbing in the back left.... Anyone with stock suspension (SGT stock) can share the experience of using this bigger 255/45/18 tires? Thanks a lot!

47 minutes ago, Amadeu said:

Hi guys. I need to change my tires. Although they are with only 9K miles on it, they are 11+ years old. I read above that some people (with original rims) like to use 255/45/18 tires. But I'm wondering if this size won't rub with the fenders. With my originals 235/50/18, occasionally there is some rubbing in the back left.... Anyone with stock suspension (SGT stock) can share the experience of using this bigger 255/45/18 tires? Thanks a lot!

If you're getting rubbing then you need an adjustable panhard bar. Our cars were lowered but not geometrically corrected at the factory. Take a look at the tire to wheel-well gaps on both sides, bet they're different. The differential needs centering and a panhard will fix it. I run 295's on the back, no rubbing, and to the legal edge of the wheel-well (on 10" rims by the way, not 8.5 like yours).

On October 20, 2019 at 6:49 PM, Amadeu said:

I have been running Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's in that size for almost four years with no issues. 

Mark

• 2 months later...

I was looking to find out what the end user experience has been with the Michelin Pilot A/S 3's versus the 4S tires?

I just purchased my new ride and it came with stock original tires and rims, 12 years old look like new but I wont turn a wheel on those puppies, just don't trust them. They only have 12k on them but still... - so my local dealer has given me a price on the Michelin 3's , installed and balanced for what I consider fair price, BUT, would it be worth to spend the extra dough to go to the 4's? and since my car came with P255/45R18 front and P285/ 40R18 on the rear, I was told getting that same sizing is not going to be easy in the 4's

My car came fully modified by previous original owner with a few mods, bottom pulley, total suspension package, lowered 1.25 all around, perf exhaust, short shift etc. dyno print out shows 630 RWHP etc, but it has never been tracked, and it will never be under my watch either.

With that in mind I am not looking to do burnouts, what I am looking for is simple traction when called upon. I just want the car to hookup when power is applied. I do not plan on dragging light to light as where i live lights are miles apart :) , but at the same time it would be comforting to know if I do put my foot into it for a more spirited ride I am not going to end up in the rhubarb if and when I do choose to have some fun!

I would really appreciate any feedback, car is in storage and I will trailer it home first part of May 2020

Cheers and Thanks

Archived