TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Time For New Tires

Well after six years on the 18 inch BFG's it's time for some new tread. I'm just wondering what everyone is going with? Of course grip is the priority followed loosely by decent wear. Thanks for the input.

Michelin Pilot Super Sports, awesome tire! Best grip I've had at the track so far on a street tire and has a 300 tread wear rating for what that's worth. I'm no longer running 18" wheels so I'm not sure about sizes with that wheel. I think the BFG Sport Comp 2 looks interesting also, the pricing and tread wear ratings with the grip it is supposed to provide is compelling.

• 1 month later...

oh god! this is what i am beating myself up over too!! for monthes i have been going back and forth on either Nitto NT05's and Nitto INVOs. This car is a secondary weekend warrior with some 4.10's so i guess either one would have good traction in Sunny San Diego!!

Anyone tried both? pros/cons? not concerned about rain because i only drive this car in ideal conditions.

I'll go along with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. A little more expensive than most, but you'll never have that "Guess I should have ... " experience.

Back in October I tried to get 2 PSS's and nobody had them, new or used. I was told they discontinued them and the only ones available were what people had in their stock. I looked a t the new version and they looked a lot more like a passenger car tire not a performance tire. I was leaving on a trip the next day so I ended up with a different tire.

• 3 weeks later...

oh god! this is what i am beating myself up over too!! for monthes i have been going back and forth on either Nitto NT05's and Nitto INVOs. This car is a secondary weekend warrior with some 4.10's so i guess either one would have good traction in Sunny San Diego!!Anyone tried both? pros/cons? not concerned about rain because i only drive this car in ideal conditions.

Tried many tire combos on two SGTs of different breeding. The NT05s were a bit too slippery and you have to really warm them up before they do their thing as a performance tire. Most of the time, there isn't time for that. However, I tried a set of Invos, and I really like them. Very versatile in quick changing road conditions. Now that I bought two sets, they will be discontinued. That's the way things go for me.

Y'all be safe.

• 1 month later...

Interesting thread. Surely there is more info out there regarding experience with different tires on these Shelby GT cars.

I understand that many with the stock 8.5x18 wheels have updated from the original 235/50/18 to a slightly wider 255/45/18. It is almost identical in height, just slighty more meat. That was the size I went looking for.

I was set on the Michelin Pilot SS, but they don't seem to offer it in the larger size. Bummer.

I checked on several other desireable tires and no one locally stocked them or could even order. Even the supporting warehouses just seem to be empty of higher performance tires.

I could order online from someone like Tire Rack, but preferred to source locally in case of any issues.

I finally decided on the BFG Comp 2 but was then informed by Discount Tire there were zero available anywhere in the US, and that the tire was very likely discontinued. Hard to believe...

They tried to sell me a YK580 Yokohama which is a great looking all season 45k mile warranty tire in the correct size. However, I found out this is an exclusive "house" tire for Discount Tire, and there are nearly zero reviews of the tire online. I found a few comments regarding mushy handling, poor traction in certain wet conditions and that slight ruts on the highway lanes pulled the car around terribly. And not cheap either at $180 a piece. I had to pass (but they WERE available to order in).

I then looked at a Bridgestone RE760. This tire is a less expensive tire with slightly better ride and low noise characteristics, but still handles well. There are very favorable reviews comparing it as a good alternative to the Pilot. But... Nope, none available... anywhere.

I finally found a local dealer who was able to locate a set of Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Positions so I ordered them. He found one set of 4 in Chicago, a couple of hours away.

They will be installed tomorrow. I am anxious to see how these ride and handle compared to the Goodyear F1 tires currently on the car. Hoping for a slightly quieter ride, fairly decent tread life and decent grip with crisp handling.

Will report back soon!

I love it when someone breaks out and tries something new. Please keep us posted on performance. With so many of "the usual suspects" being unavailable, there has to be some consideration for "JoeNewKid". Thanks!

Y'all be safe.

I finally found a local dealer who was able to locate a set of Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Positions so I ordered them. He found one set of 4 in Chicago, a couple of hours away.

They will be installed tomorrow. I am anxious to see how these ride and handle compared to the Goodyear F1 tires currently on the car. Hoping for a slightly quieter ride, fairly decent tread life and decent grip with crisp handling.

Will report back soon!

Let me know what you think of them, those are my #1 choice for my 20" rims but likely will just be putting them on the fronts initially as I'm still running the same front tires as when I bought the rims yet somehow on my 3rd set of rears for some unknown reason....

Still got my originals and they look brand new. When I do replace them I'll probably go with Continental s.

Dwain,

I've been running these for awhile now. Great ride, sticky and last a long time.

logo_continental.gifExtremeContact DW 235/50ZR18

I'm glad to hear this too, I just put a set on my kids car we are building for summer and light autox use...

• 1 year later...

Dwain,

I've been running these for awhile now. Great ride, sticky and last a long time.

logo_continental.gifExtremeContact DW 235/50ZR18

Just ordered a set of these. First new tires on the SGT!

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased Continental DW Extreme Contact 255/45ZR/18 front and rear 285/40ZR/18 to replace 8 year old BFG's. They have a promotion for a pre paid $70 visa card with purchase of four tires. Not bad price through Tire Rack plus the added promotion. Beat my local tire shops even with me having to get them mounted/balanced.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Michelin Super Sports in the stock size. They're summer tires.

My car's a DD, but man do they GRIP!!. An M coupe (Z3 hard top) was trying to lose my on the twistiies. I kept poking my nose in on the inside like I was going to pass him. LOL

I would think, ah-oh, this curve is it. But, the car was on rails. Not even a squeal!!

Pissed him off and the grip scared the $hit out of me.

Just purchased Continental DW Extreme Contact 255/45ZR/18 front and rear 285/40ZR/18 to replace 8 year old BFG's. They have a promotion for a pre paid $70 visa card with purchase of four tires. Not bad price through Tire Rack plus the added promotion. Beat my local tire shops even with me having to get them mounted/balanced.

I also got the $70 rebate! Very good deal.

I know this sounds weird but I'm running Yoko envigors up from and Nitto 555 in the rears and I'm getting a really good balance. Everything is a bit more predictable than running pure all seasons and even when running all summers. I really wanted the Michelins but they all come in low profiles and I wanted something meatier as she's my DD with 1/4 pulls in the summer weekends. 245s up front and 255 in the rear on stock 18 inch rims. I wasn't getting enough grip with 4 UHP all seasons and was spinning my wheels too much in the rain with all UHP summers and this combo fits my driving style very well right now.

• 5 months later...

I'm looking at trying either the Firehawk Indy 500, or the Bridgestone Pole Position, staggered, on mine. Hoping for more straight line grip, but I do like an occasional mountain run. Any thoughts? I'm running 555's now and love them in the curves, but not so much at hookup. TIA...

Archived