TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Wheel Set Ups

Snosourfur

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and to the Shelby world, I was just wondering if anyone has a better tire/wheel set up for a 2014 Shelby, rather than what comes from the factory. I'm not sure if there is a similar traction issue with the 2013's, but doing pulls from first gear to second at about 4200 rpm will spin the living daylights out of the back tires on a stock set up for the 2014's. I was talking to a friend of mine about wheel replacement and he recommended I go with weld wheels, 17 inch rims and 305 tires. I was simply curious if anyone else had an opinion or even better, has a 2014 Shelby with an existing set up that will put all of the power to the ground with no issues. Thanks guys!

There's lots of good info here on tires.I finally got my Michelin pilots ss tires and even below 50degrees today I went thru the gears with no wheel spin. With the oem tires it would spin thruout. I went with stock size blackwalls ie non k1.

Where are you located? That might dictate what tires to use as here in MN it's only warm enough for Summer only tires maybe 4 months.

Torched10- I've got the MPSS all way around with 295 rears and anything less than about 65 degrees gives me the willys! My car stock outside the Resonator Delete and Blue Airaid simply blows them off 1-3rd gear.

If you are in a place where you get some cooler weather you might look at stock size MPSS in the All Seasons as they will work better when it's below about 70 degrees. In Minnesota I think ideally I'd have 2 sets of rims and tires: one set of the AS's in early spring and fall, and one set of super sticky DR's for about June- Aug.

I found that the MPSS ride much softer than the Goodyears. They for sure have better traction. I rode home in an unexpected rainstorm 2 weeks ago. No traction issues at 85 MPH and a couple of burst at 130 MPH. I went 295's and 275's in front on stock rims. Love them!

Torched10- I run at 35 if I recall (car parked for winter now). Are you running with full nannies on?

ICOOLUM- Agree it seems they ride softer but I only got 1000 miles on the GYs before swapped (cracked when car came in over winter).

Bottom line though - They are far better than GYs but are not the Holy Grail so people shouldnt expect them to act like DR's.

What's a Nanny

Traction control. Double tap= sport mode. Single tap = turns off traction control.

Keeping these on tames the car quite a bit. Thus it's not as violent in the wheel spin category or even accelation as the computer is working against you so you don't end up wrapped around a pole.

Thanks I always leave it on I'm too old to befighting for control. Plus I totalled my wife's vette couple years ago when I didn't have tc on and lost it on an entrance ramp

and hita barrier.bent the frame but wasn't hurt the car physically just shattered

Traction control. Double tap= sport mode. Single tap = turns off traction control.

Keeping these on tames the car quite a bit. Thus it's not as violent in the wheel spin category or even accelation as the computer is working against you so you don't end up wrapped around a pole.

Unless they changed something in the 2013-14 model...A single tap turns off traction control, but leaves stability control on, which is super annoying IMHO. While pushing the throttle on a turn, stability control keeps the car from fish-tailing, but it feels unpredictable and unnatural...almost worse than everything "ON" which is annoying, but predictable.

Single tap - traction control off, stability control on

Double tap with brake pedal depressed - Sport mode (reduces the computer interference - good for track sessions)

Hold down for 8 seconds (believe brake pedal needs to be depressed) - Traction control off, stability control off

Unless they changed something in the 2013-14 model...A single tap turns off traction control, but leaves stability control on, which is super annoying IMHO. While pushing the throttle on a turn, stability control keeps the car from fish-tailing, but it feels unpredictable and unnatural...almost worse than everything "ON" which is annoying, but predictable.

Single tap - traction control off, stability control on

Double tap with brake pedal depressed - Sport mode (reduces the computer interference - good for track sessions)

Hold down for 8 seconds (believe brake pedal needs to be depressed) - Traction control off, stability control off

Yes, my car is hibernating so I forget to get in sport mode you need to press brake simultaneously. I think to turn all off I don't need to hold anything for 8 seconds though. I really don't bang any corners hard so I haven't noticed what you are mentioning with it feeling unnatural.

Warm weather I'm in Sport Mode unless I want to get max straight line acceleration then I turn off traction control (this includes running from a roll) but this can be dangerous.

1tuffshelby you said you run 295s in the rear? Do you have ANY gripping issues what so ever? My main concern is the fish tailing of the stock wheels. I've been thinking about just getting 295s and not worrying about new rims. I just want to be sure before I buy.

1tuffshelby you said you run 295s in the rear? Do you have ANY gripping issues what so ever? My main concern is the fish tailing of the stock wheels. I've been thinking about just getting 295s and not worrying about new rims. I just want to be sure before I buy.

Snosourfur- I agree with everyone the MPSS's are better than stock GY's BUT the 295's still spin very easy even with all the nannies on but its controllabe as the computer interferes so much. If you truly want max straight line acceleration then turn nannies to sport or off and say goodbye to the MPSS's. If it's always mid 80s out, and suns up so pavement really warm, then they are OK but I have frankly concluded if I want real traction I'll have to get the drag radials on the rear like the NT05, 555's, Micky Thompson, etc.

As I noted in post up the string a bit, here in MN I think best would be 2 sets of rims and tires (just for April- Oct driving) with the MPSS All Seasons on for cooler months and a set with DRs for the warm months.

I do believe you can do some suspension adjustments including a panhard bar to level the rear which supposedly results in more "straightforward spinning" vs. "swinging out" but I have not gone that route nor am I an expert or even fully understand what I'd need to do.

Love the car but seems Ford could have done a better job with the nannies/suspension in stock form as there are plenty other high HP vehicles that are rear drive and get rolling quicker. Heck, I'm afraid to pull up to a regular GT from stop light to stop light in fear between the excitement and hard to launch car I'll be sucking tailpipe to 60!

Curious about psi for pilots. I did alot of research on these tires and for me the grip is great.but even resetting the dampers the ride is pretty harsh ,much rougher than Goodyear s.of course after I bought them I read on tire rack reviews that they ride rough. Well its a toughtough call between safety and comfort. Thought I'd fool with psi a bit tried 32 and still too bouncy for me. Have you folks tried lower psi settings. I don't track the car and not concerned about tread life,just it's killing my back now.I know it's a performance car/tire ,but I've had many over the years,and the pilots are by far the roughest.Thanks

I also find the MPSS ride SOFTER and QUIETER, and the TRACTION much better, than with stock GYs. I've had NO problems, even in cold (near/at freezing) temps, though I don't drive it much in the winter or when there's any precipitation. FWIW, I went with stock (265/285) sizes, running at about 35psi all-around, generally in AdvanceTrac Mode 1 or Mode 3.

Modes_zps5c3adff8.jpg

As for harsh rides, try some RUN-FLATS... My wife's last two BMWs came with them (one set of GYs and one set of Contis) and both provided HORRIBLE ride and LOTS of road noise.

Anyone looking for all-season performance should consider Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires. We converted both BMWs to them, and could not have been happier.

Thanks actually I have 2 other cars with run flats a vette and a rare sts v.they both ride better than the mpss. this am I took it out and it seemed after 20 minutes to soften up. Wonder if the sidewalls need to be flexed a bit at first.I have it at 32 still

would advance Trac settings affect ride as well. Thanks for your always helpful comments

Thanks actually I have 2 other cars with run flats a vette and a rare sts v.they both ride better than the mpss. this am I took it out and it seemed after 20 minutes to soften up. Wonder if the sidewalls need to be flexed a bit at first.I have it at 32 still

would advance Trac settings affect ride as well. Thanks for your always helpful comments

Interesting observations regarding your run-flat experience. I guess it's possible your tires need to "warm up" for an improved ride, but that hasn't been my experience. Obviously, YMMV.

I don't think your AdvanceTrac setting has any affect on ride, though it can affect steering. The only "setting" that affects ride (about which I'm aware) goes with the SVTPP adjustable dampers you mentioned above.

I agree with Norton. The MPSS rode noticeably better than the GY's which only had 450 miles on them. I have not driven them below 50* here in the hill country of Texas and probably wont as the car is a weekend warrior only.

I do treat the car with respect however and am careful with too much throttle in questionable conditions.

I have 11k miles and the GoodYears are totally gone. I decided to experiment. I bought All Season 275/45r20's for the rear. If you look at the specs of the two tires, you lose next to nothing on width but gain 2" on the diameter which has dramatically improved the way the car hooks. I love it!! No rubbing issues as of now. And they work a lot better in the rain.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone with a 2013 or 2014 GT500 put any of these rims on their car --> http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/AF2014.htm

I am also looking at redoing rims and or tires and just looking at the various options out there

I find the GY's very slippery and somewhat hard to control at times

James

I saw a set of those wheels on a the 2013 Super Snake Weld Edition while at Shelby American last week. (There are pics on pp 3, 8-9 of this brochure, and elsewhere on the Web.)

Almost anything is better than the stock GY tires! FWIW, I'm happy with Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and to the Shelby world, I was just wondering if anyone has a better tire/wheel set up for a 2014 Shelby, rather than what comes from the factory. I'm not sure if there is a similar traction issue with the 2013's, but doing pulls from first gear to second at about 4200 rpm will spin the living daylights out of the back tires on a stock set up for the 2014's. I was talking to a friend of mine about wheel replacement and he recommended I go with weld wheels, 17 inch rims and 305 tires. I was simply curious if anyone else had an opinion or even better, has a 2014 Shelby with an existing set up that will put all of the power to the ground with no issues. Thanks guys!

The stock Goodyears need heat to get traction. They are track tires that are barely legal for street use. Below 60 degrees they are basically hockey pucks. As Norton mentioned, the Pilot SS is a good choice and has been the best choice for these cars to date on the stock wheels. 17 inch wheels are not going to fit as far as I know. The front brakes are too big. Any summer tire is going to have some issues if they are cold. Some more than others. The Pirellis on my 2012 GT had cold start traction problems.

Personally I like the SVT wheels and will go with the Michelins this spring. I wanted to do it last spring but other unrelated non-car issues came up. I have to say that I have an alternate wheel/ tire setup for cold weather. 275/40/19 A/S tires on 19x9 wheels and for street driving the traction is really good. The summer tire setup that most have gone to is the 275/40/19 front, and 295/35/20 rear tires. I know that Norton has mentioned in the past that he went with the stock sizes on the Michelins. These tires are the best available for the wheels that we have on the car. I'd be happy with them compared to the more extreme compound on the Goodyears. Even the GT350 will have Michelin tires on them.

Pete

Has anyone with a 2013 or 2014 GT500 put any of these rims on their car --> http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/AF2014.htm

I am also looking at redoing rims and or tires and just looking at the various options out there

I find the GY's very slippery and somewhat hard to control at times

James

Over $1100 a wheel is pretty pricey for a wheel that IMO doesn't look as good as the SS Alcoa design. Although at least these rims come in 10.5" in the rear and have a 50mm offset which will allow you to run a wider tire.

Archived