TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2016 Ford Gt350 Vs 2013/14 Shelby Gt350's

frank bullitt

on the one hand, the SAI GT350s are over-priced by a HUGE amount, in my opinion. and they have ZERO race pedigree like the original 60's versions. however, they DO have exclusivity and they were modded by SAI and championed by Carroll before he died, if that's something that is important to you. the new GT350 represents an entire re-engineering and design effort for the car, while the outgoing car is really just a 5.0 with aftermarket parts. it will be interesting to see.

Performance aside, Appearance, styling etc. are also important factors. In my opinion, the 2011-12 are the best looking of the late model 350s, The rear facia/taillight/spoiler/exhaust appearance is tough to beat

IMO the 2011 - 2012 GT350's WERE the best looking..... Then the 2016 was unveiled. I'd love to see a match up between these two cars on a road course like Road America to test all aspects of both cars.

IMO the 2011 - 2012 GT350's WERE the best looking..... Then the 2016 was unveiled. I'd love to see a match up between these two cars on a road course like Road America to test all aspects of both cars.

2011-12 Still ARE the best looking. I guess it depends on what one is looking for. 2011-12 "Muscle Car". 2016- Subaru lookalike, gussied up foreign tuner, rice burner etc.

2011-12 Still ARE the best looking. I guess it depends on what one is looking for. 2011-12 "Muscle Car". 2016- Subaru lookalike, gussied up foreign tuner, rice burner etc.

Your OPINION is duly noted friend.... as is mine. The 2016 car is getting rave reviews from all over the world and that is uncontested.

Have to disagree only because those front bumpers were hideously bulbous.

I don't think you're going to find that to be a very close race. With better suspension, more grip, and more power than the naturally aspirated 2011-2014 GT350, the new 2016 GT350 would put the hurt on it. Perhaps the 600+hp supercharger option would help the older car keep up some, but you're talking probably 10K more than the new car will sticker for then and that new 5.2 could be a beast with a little boost to close the gap.

By the way. Your Vista Blue GT500 is stunningly gorgeous, clean looking, yet has a (not overdone) mean look at the same time. I love it.

Why thank you sir! :victory:

Ew, 100% disagree.

Its a tough call and its all opinion honestly; both GT350's have some serious points in the appearance section. I guess it depends on if you want a newer style with throwbacks to the old style, or if you want future muscle.

I won't touch on performance because those 2011 - 2014's shattered performance expectations.

Blah, blah, blah about the current or future market value of the SAI GT350's. My guess is none of you own one. I have a 2011 GT350 45th Anniversary Edition. One of about 150 sold. Rare? Umm, you bet. Worth every penny of the $70k spent on it. About as close to custom built as it gets. We have photos of it being built at SAI. Hand signed by Carroll too. Can't say that for a GT500 or new 2016 GT350.

My 2008 GT500KR was special and the 2011 GT350 is too. All Shelby's which SAI produced are, IMHO, far more special than Ford's mass produced GT500's. Not taking anything away from the GT500's but the SAI cars will forever be part of Shelby's history. I don't care what it's worth, it's mine, it was built for me, it gets driven. Will it be worth more or less in the future? Who cares! I bought it to enjoy :-)

I saw the 2016 GT350 at the LA Auto Show. It's absolutely bitchin'! Very well engineered and prepared. IMO, comparing the 2016 GT350 to the 2011-13 is like comparing a C7 Vette to a C4 Vette. Technology advances and so do cars. Now compare a new GT350 to a 65 GT350 or C7 Vette to a 63 Vette, sure the new cars will out perform the old but the vintage cars are so special. Riding in Gooch's 65 GT350 School Car was a memory of a lifetime. Driving my GT350 at Laguna Seca, Sears Point, and Spring Mountain was a thrill of a lifetime too. Racing my 65 race car against Frank Stagnaro (Google "Done in 60 Seconds Maier Racing") is a thrill too.

Simply put, they are all different cars but share the same name. Old, new, or newer, or full race, they were designed for high-performance driving.

Blah, blah, blah about the current or future market value of the SAI GT350's. My guess is none of you own one. I have a 2011 GT350 45th Anniversary Edition. One of about 150 sold. Rare? Umm, you bet. Worth every penny of the $70k spent on it. About as close to custom built as it gets. We have photos of it being built at SAI. Hand signed by Carroll too. Can't say that for a GT500 or new 2016 GT350.

My 2008 GT500KR was special and the 2011 GT350 is too. All Shelby's which SAI produced are, IMHO, far more special than Ford's mass produced GT500's. Not taking anything away from the GT500's but the SAI cars will forever be part of Shelby's history. I don't care what it's worth, it's mine, it was built for me, it gets driven. Will it be worth more or less in the future? Who cares! I bought it to enjoy :-)

I saw the 2016 GT350 at the LA Auto Show. It's absolutely bitchin'! Very well engineered and prepared. IMO, comparing the 2016 GT350 to the 2011-13 is like comparing a C7 Vette to a C4 Vette. Technology advances and so do cars. Now compare a new GT350 to a 65 GT350 or C7 Vette to a 63 Vette, sure the new cars will out perform the old but the vintage cars are so special. Riding in Gooch's 65 GT350 School Car was a memory of a lifetime. Driving my GT350 at Laguna Seca, Sears Point, and Spring Mountain was a thrill of a lifetime too. Racing my 65 race car against Frank Stagnaro (Google "Done in 60 Seconds Maier Racing") is a thrill too.

Simply put, they are all different cars but share the same name. Old, new, or newer, or full race, they were designed for high-performance driving.

I do happen to own a 2012 GT350 coupe, 1 of 7 race red, fully optioned. Actually 1 of 1 with full clearcoat, doors, fenders, quarter panels over painted stripes from SAI.

Great. 1 of 7, 1 of 1. What is your point? Is there an implied "yours is worth more than the other 2012's bc it is 1 of 1"? If only it were a wide-body convertible...unless, one doesn't like the wide-body convertible...but I do and don't care what others like ;-)

I think you missed my point which is drive the car, enjoy it, and don't worry about the value. Oh, and consider yourself fortunate to own a real GT350...

Great. 1 of 7, 1 of 1. What is your point? Is there an implied "yours is worth more than the other 2012's bc it is 1 of 1"? If only it were a wide-body convertible...unless, one doesn't like the wide-body convertible...but I do and don't care what others like ;-)

I think you missed my point which is drive the car, enjoy it, and don't worry about the value. Oh, and consider yourself fortunate to own a real GT350...

+1, and glad you like wide body 'verts…...

Not implying anything. Just chatting. I'm not concerned about the value of any of my cars. Only the value to me. Did you have a crappy Thanksgiving or something. If you did I'm sorry.

Looks are subjective. Many think the GT500KR is the best looking Shelby Mustang since the 60's. I happen to agree hands down. There are those that will disagree. Fact.

The new GT350 is amazing and the R will be killer. Fact.

However, the new GT350 is a Ford product merely borrowing the licensed name "Shelby" based on legal rights to do so. I know of no fact wherein Carroll had one thing to do with the new GT350 or even SAI for that matter. If anyone has such facts please enlighten me. Even the previous standard GT500 in some years iterations had some input from Carroll... even if only briefly or in passing.

Fact is Carroll has passed away. He belongs to the ages now. There will never be another like him in my book. He is and always will be an automotive icon and legend that put American racing cars on the map and brought us some of the most iconic performance cars of all times. All but the ill informed agree with this. That will make and does make those cars that he was integrally involved with special and desirable to collectors in years to come. Without Carroll involved in the projects that brought us various Shelby cars before his death IMHO SAI is now just a mod shop. Its like a Boyd Coddington car without Boyd being involved in the design and build. A Shelby without "Shelby" just doesn't cut the mustard in my book.

Yes, Shelby American will undoubtedly offer a very expensive mod package for the GT350. Cool no doubt. Very expensive, no doubt. However, something special has left the building when Carroll died IMHO. Just like when Boyd died. The cars that they touched, helped design and create, had input into can't be duplicated now. That's an intangible and provenance that can't ever be duplicated again. That fact will not be lost on the majority in the future.

I have a Boss 302 also. My first knee jerk reaction was to sell the Boss and buy the GT350 when it was unveiled or wait for the R. Clearly a superior car. Clearly faster. Clearly more technologically advanced making the Boss "old school" overnight. But when I stepped back and took a breath I realized the Boss is and always will be viewed as a special and very cool car by most and was hailed universally as the best performing Mustang of its generation. It has tremendous heritage and lived up to that heritage, it is truly only a two year build in limited numbers. Every one loved it and in the end "old school" is cool and will be even cooler in the future.MHO.

Ford plans on making approximately 7000 GT350s a year in a likely 5-6 year build out. The R will likely be more limited.

If I buy a GT350 I will wait for the 2016 and just add to the stable. Bound to be some improvements and used low mileage 2015s will be available for less. However, many other great options available too. Used C7 Z06's will be available then along with used 2014 TA Vipers as the new ones will clearly most likely eclipse the previous years in technology and performance. Even the 2014 Z28 will likely be able to be picked up for much less then. That car in my book is the one to buy. Limited build quality, bitch'n performance and a great stable mate to the Boss 302. Kinda like peanut butter and jelly. Just like I would love a Spf Corvette Grand Sport to go with my Shelby Continuation 427. Some things just go together.

There are things that can't be eclipsed by technology like innate coolness. The real Shelbys and the Boss have that in spades. Old school is cool. Heck in 10 years my Boss may be eligible for vintage racing!!!! How cool is that? I just hope I'm around to still be driving it in it's natural environment...the race track.

Looks are subjective. Many think the GT500KR is the best looking Shelby Mustang since the 60's. I happen to agree hands down. There are those that will disagree. Fact.

The new GT350 is amazing and the R will be killer. Fact.

However, the new GT350 is a Ford product merely borrowing the licensed name "Shelby" based on legal rights to do so. I know of no fact wherein Carroll had one thing to do with the new GT350 or even SAI for that matter. If anyone has such facts please enlighten me. Even the previous standard GT500 in some years iterations had some input from Carroll... even if only briefly or in passing.

Fact is Carroll has passed away. He belongs to the ages now. There will never be another like him in my book. He is and always will be an automotive icon and legend that put American racing cars on the map and brought us some of the most iconic performance cars of all times. All but the ill informed agree with this. That will make and does make those cars that he was integrally involved with special and desirable to collectors in years to come. Without Carroll involved in the projects that brought us various Shelby cars before his death IMHO SAI is now just a mod shop. Its like a Boyd Coddington car without Boyd being involved in the design and build. A Shelby without "Shelby" just doesn't cut the mustard in my book.

Yes, Shelby American will undoubtedly offer a very expensive mod package for the GT350. Cool no doubt. Very expensive, no doubt. However, something special has left the building when Carroll died IMHO. Just like when Boyd died. The cars that they touched, helped design and create, had input into can't be duplicated now. That's an intangible and provenance that can't ever be duplicated again. That fact will not be lost on the majority in the future.

I have a Boss 302 also. My first knee jerk reaction was to sell the Boss and buy the GT350 when it was unveiled or wait for the R. Clearly a superior car. Clearly faster. Clearly more technologically advanced making the Boss "old school" overnight. But when I stepped back and took a breath I realized the Boss is and always will be viewed as a special and very cool car by most and was hailed universally as the best performing Mustang of its generation. It has tremendous heritage and lived up to that heritage, it is truly only a two year build in limited numbers. Every one loved it and in the end "old school" is cool and will be even cooler in the future.MHO.

Ford plans on making approximately 7000 GT350s a year in a likely 5-6 year build out. The R will likely be more limited.

If I buy a GT350 I will wait for the 2016 and just add to the stable. Bound to be some improvements and used low mileage 2015s will be available for less. However, many other great options available too. Used C7 Z06's will be available then along with used 2014 TA Vipers as the new ones will clearly most likely eclipse the previous years in technology and performance. Even the 2014 Z28 will likely be able to be picked up for much less then. That car in my book is the one to buy. Limited build quality, bitch'n performance and a great stable mate to the Boss 302. Kinda like peanut butter and jelly. Just like I would love a Spf Corvette Grand Sport to go with my Shelby Continuation 427. Some things just go together.

There are things that can't be eclipsed by technology like innate coolness. The real Shelbys and the Boss have that in spades. Old school is cool. Heck in 10 years my Boss may be eligible for vintage racing!!!! How cool is that? I just hope I'm around to still be driving it in it's natural environment...the race track.

YEP!

Can't say it any better.

We are so lucky to be living in an era with the return of American muscles cars and be at an age where we can own the real cars versus playing with the Hot Wheels versions. Hellcat's, Z/28's, and Shelby's. Race Red, Competition Orange, Gotta Have It Green. Superchargers, 500+hp, and 22mpg. And let's not forget trick trucks like the Raptor. Let the good times roll :-)

We are so lucky to be living in an era with the return of American muscles cars and be at an age where we can own the real cars versus playing with the Hot Wheels versions. Hellcat's, Z/28's, and Shelby's. Race Red, Competition Orange, Gotta Have It Green. Superchargers, 500+hp, and 22mpg. And let's not forget trick trucks like the Raptor. Let the good times roll :-)Well said !!!!

Well said !!!!!!

I was content with owning the mid-late '60s Shelbys for a very long time. Total coolness, and they run very good too. I never even considered a new type until the Shelby (as in SAI) GT350 started being built, my tastes run to bright colors and flashy designs, and that was not entirely satisfied until 2013 when the color palette was opened and the wide body was available, I was sold finally after many decades of waiting and bought my first new Shelby ever. Now that this new GT350 (I would call it a Ford or SVT) is out, I am not impressed enough with it to buy one, and certainly not to replace my unique '13 GT350 or my '68 KR. Case closed until they really do something spectacular to catch my attention again. I am not holding my breath, but maybe, some day again….. ;)

We are so lucky to be living in an era with the return of American muscles cars and be at an age where we can own the real cars versus playing with the Hot Wheels versions. Hellcat's, Z/28's, and Shelby's. Race Red, Competition Orange, Gotta Have It Green. Superchargers, 500+hp, and 22mpg. And let's not forget trick trucks like the Raptor. Let the good times roll :-)

Ironic, I've been selling some of my vintage Hot Wheels Blister Packs to fund my next 1:1.

Whats wrong with playing with both? HA!!

You mean we've been talking real cars this whole time. Mine are all just 1/18 scale. My race red GT350, my 2011 Shelby GT500 Cobra, my 2010 GT, 2007 Parnelli Jones, 2015 LE 50th anniversary and the other 14 Mustangs that I won't bore you all with. Sorry for the confusion.

+10000000

I too had the pleasure of riding with Gooch at Spring Mt. He drives it like he stole it!! A memory indeed... :rockon:

I am hoping to catch a ride from Bruce. I already got the nod from him to ride shot gun when the next opportunity arises for me. That will be my dream ride along. Oh, then I am sure I will ask a lot of questions that will result in a long wish list of parts for my 65! LOL!

Jerseygator, is there a Shelby behind that there girl? Ha!

Somewhere there is... :spiteful:

Ya, Gooch drives like it's stolen and out drove the 500+hp supercharged new Shelby's with his lil' hi-po 289 at Spring Mountain. The guy is amazing :-)

:rockon:

Pretty dayum amazing... I have a video clip somewhere. I should dig it up and post it. That 289 sounds buh, buh, buh bad to the bone!

I am hoping to catch a ride from Bruce. I already got the nod from him to ride shot gun when the next opportunity arises for me. That will be my dream ride along. Oh, then I am sure I will ask a lot of questions that will result in a long wish list of parts for my 65! LOL!

Sure hope so Dennis. You would definitely enjoy. :happy feet:

• 2 weeks later...

I find the appearance of the '16 to be uninspired (and I mean beyond the every-car Fusion-esque nose job). To me, it looks too much like a regular Mustang from the front, the side, and the back. I bet the 10-14 GT500 guys were kind twisted over the 13/14 Mustang front clip when it was released - made their GT500s look like regular Mustangs (or regular Mustangs look like GT500's depending on your outlook).

Archived