TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2016 Ford Mustang Shelby Gt350 - Official

tomas6791

Well yeah, no kidding. Roush makes their own (pre-title) car so for Ford to make a Roush would be in competition with themselves.

Not sure if Saleen is a pre-title or not but I think the same goes for it.

Phill

Understood. But again, it's a raid of the FRPP parts bin and some tacky stickers. Pre or post-title, the formula is the same. What Ford does for "Shelby" is special and what SVT does for Ford is unique. That's my point.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this won't sit well with too many folks on here, but I'd much rather have a Ford-produced "Shelby" than a Shelby American-modded Ford. As awesome as the story is with the reunion between Ford and Carroll, the truth is that the folks at SVT can produce something much more amazing and technologically advanced than what Shelby American can. The things that SAI can do to a car may add value for some people, but they cannot make them truly unique from an engineering perspective. At the end of the day, Shelby American cars are not much different than what any aftermarket performance-minded business or individual can do themselves with a base Ford starter car. There's nothing truly proprietary beyond the badges and certificates. The fact that SVT has created a 5.8L engine unique to the 2013-14 GT500 makes it truly special when compared to Saleen and Roush and the all the other "special edition" Mustangs. You don't see Ford creating a unique model for Roush, for example (or anybody else for that matter). That says a hell of a lot about the Ford-produced Shelby cars to me... that it is a Shelby through DNA, from the ground up, engineered as such, which is far more appealing to me than what SAI does in granting a second VIN and riveting plaques to the frame.

This is just another one of those arguments. Those of us who are fortunate enough to own a model which was modified at a Shelby facility, pre-title, like the original Shelby's were will of course never concur with you. We all, however, do own Shelbys and that's our common bond.

Since no one cares this is being called Shelby GT350, why don't we just go ahead and change Ford's name. Its just a name right?

Why hasn't Shelby put a pic of the new GT350 on this site yet?

Honestly, none of this competitive BS should matter if, as an owner, you are secure in your decision about which car you like better.

This is just another one of those arguments. Those of us who are fortunate enough to own a model which was modified at a Shelby facility, pre-title, like the original Shelby's were will of course never concur with you. We all, however, do own Shelbys and that's our common bond.

Agreed. But an alternative perspective on the topic needs stating, since this site tends to cater to those who fawn over SAI-modded cars.

The important question for me is, "Can I get a twenty-thousand-dollar discount for a nice SVT GT350 without the 'SHELBY' stenciled on it?"

If not, I'll have to settle for a GT350 Shelby with SVT embossed on the Monroney sticker.

Either case, I'd reckon this new car is a big winner, ugly as it is!

Ford should of just stayed away from the Shelby GT350 name. They were smart enough to do it on the 84 version, but apparently not here.

My god man! You are starting to sound like some of those "Kay Are" boys whining about the wheels and the hoods and the badges and on and on.

Face it, Ford has hit another home run with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th.

I like it. Take that helmet off and get a closer look at that car. Its beautiful!

Understood. But again, it's a raid of the FRPP parts bin and some tacky stickers. Pre or post-title, the formula is the same. What Ford does for "Shelby" is special and what SVT does for Ford is unique. That's my point.

Oh, sorry about the misunderstanding.

I wasn't talking about a KR or a Super Snake, I was referring to a Roush S1, S2 or S3.

I agree with your SVT statement too. IMHO, the 5.4/5.8 is unique as opposed to the RPO engines.

I'm just not sure what you refer to when you say "What Ford does for "Shelby" is special....."

What do they do that is so special? Market the car???

Phill

Same here, I bet it looks as good or better in person!!!!

I gotta be more than honest...I think it's rather boring. The GT500 was SO much more than a plain-jane mustang when it debuted.

The (new) GT350 just looks like another model Mustang to me, just like the GT was.

Maybe I just expected so much more....

Phill

I think both points are valid. I personally would not think twice about selling my Shelby GT to buy a 2016 GT350, the fact one was made at SAI would not stop me at all. With that said I think putting the Shelby name on Ford Production cars is just selling a name, I would stick with SVT and let Shelby do their own thing just like Roush and Saleen. To me those are really special cars because they are so unique, they are NOT just Mustangs with things tacked on them, to say that is ridiculous. Sure you could mod your car just like Roush, Saleen, or SAI, but that is not the real thing. I would much rather have the real thing.

Just my 2 Cents

I might just sell my Shelby GT/SC this coming year and get a GT350, this thing is pulling on my coat strings.

I

I think both points are valid. I personally would not think twice about selling my Shelby GT to buy a 2016 GT350, the fact one was made at SAI would not stop me at all. With that said I think putting the Shelby name on Ford Production cars is just selling a name, I would stick with SVT and let Shelby do their own thing just like Roush and Saleen. To me those are really special cars because they are so unique, they are NOT just Mustangs with things tacked on them, to say that is ridiculous. Sure you could mod your car just like Roush, Saleen, or SAI, but that is not the real thing. I would much rather have the real thing.

Just my 2 Cents

I might just sell my Shelby GT/SC this coming year and get a GT350, this thing is pulling on my coat strings.

Agree and feel the same way. My KR maybe available this spring.

Oh, sorry about the misunderstanding.

I wasn't talking about a KR or a Super Snake, I was referring to a Roush S1, S2 or S3.

I agree with your SVT statement too. IMHO, the 5.4/5.8 is unique as opposed to the RPO engines.

I'm just not sure what you refer to when you say "What Ford does for "Shelby" is special....."

What do they do that is so special? Market the car???

Phill

What Ford is doing by allowing SVT to create a top-of-the line Mustang and naming it a "Shelby" -- WITH CARROLL'S INPUT AND BLESSING -- is very special. No other "special edition" Mustang gets that treatment with Ford. That's what I'm saying. When you buy the SVT car, you get a car that is engineered differently from the ground up. Again, it's not just aftermarket or FRPP-sourced bolt-ons. That is very special whether anyone here wants to acknowledge it or not. If anything, Ford is truly doing the Shelby brand justice by creating a unique car with his name.

Personally, I love the looks of the 2007-2008 Shelby GT. I believe it bears the closest resemblance to the original Shelby GT350 in terms of how it came to be. However, it's not enough to bolt on a cold-air kit, suspension upgrades, stripes/badges and call it a day. As much as I like the looks of those cars, looks alone are not enough to pay homage to the original GT350. On the street, the 07-08 SGTs are way too underpowered and under-engineered. If a previous-generation Firebird or a muscled-up Subaru STI can outrun it (which they can), it's not a car I can take seriously. They're more "show than go". This new GT350, on the other hand, is ALL business. You can thank Ford and SVT for that.

Personally, I love the looks of the 2007-2008 Shelby GT. I believe it bears the closest resemblance to the original Shelby GT350 in terms of how it came to be. However, it's not enough to bolt on a cold-air kit, suspension upgrades, stripes/badges and call it a day. As much as I like the looks of those cars, looks alone are not enough to pay homage to the original GT350. On the street, the 07-08 SGTs are way too underpowered and under-engineered. If a previous-generation Firebird or a muscled-up Subaru STI can outrun it (which they can), it's not a car I can take seriously. They're more "show than go". This new GT350, on the other hand, is ALL business. You can thank Ford and SVT for that.

Put a whipple 550 on the SGT and it smokes most cars on the street.

That depends on your priorities, while the Shelby GT is much slower than the GT500, it handles much better. Shelby finally improved this in 2013. I decided to go the GT/SC route because I wanted both the power and handling.

I am very intrigued by the new GT350, but none of us know yet if it is all business. I will decide that after I see some reviews and/or test drive it. That said, so far it appears to be all business, but if they put an MSRP on it in Like the SAI GT350 that could change, it needs to have better value.

My god man! You are starting to sound like some of those "Kay Are" boys whining about the wheels and the hoods and the badges and on and on.

Face it, Ford has hit another home run with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th.

I like it. Take that helmet off and get a closer look at that car. Its beautiful!

Ok... That was funny. Agree Ford has definitely hit a grand slam home run with the 2016 Shelby GT350... and yes they can name it that as they own the rights. I think this is a wonderful tribute to the original.

Put a whipple 550 on the SGT and it smokes most cars on the street.

Yes it does, I honestly don't know why anyone would need/want more Power for the street. For the track I get it, but for regular roads I would rather pay more for a lower weight car that is more nimble regardless of power. Loving the new Alpha Romeo 4C, but not to fond of their reputation.

Archived