TEAM SHELBY FORUM

5.4 Gt-500 Engine Durability

ZEROED

I never have heard of anyone having an engine issue with the 5.4 GT-500 engine. I surmise these are very durable power plants. General opinion of the engine? What are their strengths and weaknesses? Are there things I can do to add to the durability, without digging into the engine? Also, is the aluminum engine better than the cast iron engine, other than weight? Many questions here. Thanks.

Ultimately it depends on how much you step up the power, and the rods are definitely a limiting factor in high horsepower or high rpm applications.

I've heard that 700rwhp is a threshold for a stock bottom end block, and just to be on the safe side I keep mine under 6200 rpm

This article is worth checking out

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/additional-how-to/hrdp-1104-what-breaks-in-2005-2011-ford-mustang/

Not sure what to make of the newer aluminum engine myself, I've heard that it is not a sleeved block but rather has some type of plasma coating on the cylinder walls.

It that is the case, the weight saving is nice to have, but not sure if it is worth the tradeoff in rebuildability or overall strength.

For those reasons, the old school in me definitely prefers a sturdy cast iron block,

A pro engine builder might have more info on the aluminum blocks, it would be nice to know some facts about them.

Archived