TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2014 V6 Mustang Whips 2015 Ecoboost Mustang

ilmor

The title is not quite correct. On that one race yes the 4 banger lost, but for the day, the best the V6 did was 14.40's. The Automatic Turbo 4 was in the 14.30's and the stick Turbo 4 was in the 13.80's. That's pretty darn impressive. And I own a 13 V6 six speed. I got to drive a Eco boost Mustang at our Mustang Club meeting tonight. It felt pretty close to my car, but that boost you can certainly feel. I would imagine at this altitude (over 5,500 ft), the ecoboost should really be quite a bit quicker than my NA V6. The forced air induction really helps with the altitude vs. NA. Will be interesting seeing all the different combos at the track next year. Track was covered with snow this week, so we're done for the winter. Going to have to wait......

The title is not quite correct. On that one race yes the 4 banger lost, but for the day, the best the V6 did was 14.40's. The Automatic Turbo 4 was in the 14.30's and the stick Turbo 4 was in the 13.80's. That's pretty darn impressive. And I own a 13 V6 six speed. I got to drive a Eco boost Mustang at our Mustang Club meeting tonight. It felt pretty close to my car, but that boost you can certainly feel. I would imagine at this altitude (over 5,500 ft), the ecoboost should really be quite a bit quicker than my NA V6. The forced air induction really helps with the altitude vs. NA. Will be interesting seeing all the different combos at the track next year. Track was covered with snow this week, so we're done for the winter. Going to have to wait......

The title applies to the race.

I used to own a 10.40 1/4 '86 modded SVO. Loved the car and a person ended up buying it after I owned it for 6+ years at a track day after a crazy offer. It ran consistent 10.40's to 10.50's with about $3K in upgrades. No nitrous. Valve cover never off, and decent over the counter bolt on's....hated the 4 cyl sound, but the car was awesome and very fast.

Fast forward to now, new Ecoboost still does not sound great (not even good) I apparently insulted 2 Ford Engineers at a Ford press event stating this, but OK, I don't work for Ford, but my ears work just fine... even though I was told I apparently didn't hear well....LOL....OK

I've never been a 4 cyl lover, never cared for the vibrations, harshness, or lack of bottom end power....the 84-86 SVO was good stock, the new 15 Ecoboost is much better stock....even though it is a heavy pig (sorry Dave), it is a pretty amazing car out of the box. A 13.89 stock quarter is faster than a HUGE amount of the 60's and early 70's Muscle cars with large displacement V8's!! Even Mustangs much later.....

I didn't think I'd even like my Focus ST, and I actually love it. Was kind of "challenged" to buy it. Those of you that have driven it, before and after the Shelby conversion all agree. Wait until my new upgrades...it even sounds good for a 4 banger...

Here's a video of Livernois doing just a tune and drag radials on a 15 4 cyl Ecoboost....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2dkcQGQBXs

Then later they ran a 11.80 on race gas and no cat back exhaust...

Alex

Agree Alex. Of course the V6 does not sound good either. Heck, I'm glad my Roush came with the factory mufflers in the trunk. The Roush Mufflers were so loud, it just sounded so wrong. I couldn't stand giving it gas and taking off fast. Nothing sounds like a V8. I put the factory Ford mufflers on it two days after I bought it. Nice and quiet now, and it did not loose any speed in the quarter. That's the biggest draw back to the Eco boost for me. I just can't stomach the sound of the 4. But stealth and fast is always good!

I agree Jeff, the Roush mufflers do sound pretty bad on the 3,7. It is also pretty amazing how good of a job Ford engineers did on the stock V6 mufflers and the 13-14 GT500 mufflers. I put some of my mufflers on a friend's daughter's 13 V6 vert and wasn't happy with the sound at all. She loves it though. Stock 13-14 GT500 mufflers with the inlet modified and the GT500 lower valance actually sound really good on the 3.7 as do the 11-14 stock GT mufflers with stock valance....

Alex

Archived