TEAM SHELBY FORUM

God's Lunatics

Thanks for sharing, I knew a friend that served and flew those choppers in Vietnam war.

Thats one of many sounds you never forget, sometimes the way the sun sets brings back those days. It seems like only yesterday but some many years have passed.

Some of my team had "reel to reel" recorders/sound systems in our hooch back in basecamp ... played tapes shipped to us from home ...that is another sound that brings memories of the 60's in RVN. On my way out of RVN in 69 in went to the PX in Cam Ran Bay and ordered a sound system from Japan shipped to my home. For 45 years, I've hauled/used that sound system (Teac reel to reel, Pioneer Amp, Turntable and Speakers) from boarder to boarder and coast to coast. This fall, I found a guy by Ft Riley that still worked on them and had him go thru the entire system. I'm working them into my new "man cave" and have unpacked footlockers of tapes and records ... in a couple weeks I'll have the project done and will spend this winter enjoying all those great tunes!!

"waap, waap, waap ..... I can't get me no .... da,da,da ...satisfaction......"!!!!!!!

Some of my team had "reel to reel" recorders/sound systems in our hooch back in basecamp ... played tapes shipped to us from home ...that is another sound that brings memories of the 60's in RVN. On my way out of RVN in 69 in went to the PX in Cam Ran Bay and ordered a sound system from Japan shipped to my home. For 45 years, I've hauled/used that sound system (Teac reel to reel, Pioneer Amp, Turntable and Speakers) from boarder to boarder and coast to coast. This fall, I found a guy by Ft Riley that still worked on them and had him go thru the entire system. I'm working them into my new "man cave" and have unpacked footlockers of tapes and records ... in a couple weeks I'll have the project done and will spend this winter enjoying all those great tunes!!

"waap, waap, waap ..... I can't get me no .... da,da,da ...satisfaction......"!!!!!!!

My uncle did the reel to reel recording for his family. My dad actually played one years ago for us to hear. Sometimes the artillery and gunfire were so loud that my uncle had to stop talking until the background noise went down.

Thanks for sharing, my dad served two tours in Nam while I was young and one of them flew in the U-H1 chopper as a side gunner. 1st Air Cav. During those days our soldiers did not get the support they do today. 50 years, time flies. God bless our men & women in uniform protecting our freedom.

Archived