TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Here's A Lesson In Customer Service

I have a workstation laptop. Actually, three of them. All are Lenovo Thinkpad T (qty 1, my work machine a T540) and two W series (W510 and W520) that are my personal systems.

The T540 is my new job/work system. I bought it because you can drop it from the top of the Empire State Building, well at least from your desk, or it can get beaten up in the TSA security line - in short, it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

The W510 is my scanner system. it's lightly used. My scanner is 1394/firewire and the FHD (full HD, 1920x1080) LED backlit display was the best in class then (4 years ago) The W series has a color calibration sensor and it is the best I've seen.

My T60p got tired so I got a W520. This is about the that machine.

I've got about two weeks left on warranty but my T540 purchase says this is not the best any more. In the W510/W520 days they had 1394/firewire and that is how my scanner connects

So my workhorse W520 is getting tired. The display had a bunch of dropped pixels, the keyboard was stickey and the power supply cord was getting intermittent. Since the W(T) series no longer has 1394/firewire - it's antique technology - I decided to check on the warranty on the W520.

Yippee!

I called the Lenovo service line which still happens to be the old IBM service center in Atlanta Georgia (and that is how they introduce themselves - yeah, Americans with delightful southern accents). After about 5 minutes of taking orders, they sent me a new display panel, keyboard and power supply. No questions, no charge...

It took me 15 minutes to replace the display panel. Not for the faint of heart but I'd done it before on my T60p (be careful routing the little cables). Keyboard took about 3 minutes (I'd done one before) and of course the power supply is just a change at the AC cord.

NO QUESTIONS ASKED!

And I don't have to pound on the keys and the replacement display panel is a newer generation (T530 family) and brighter and contrast"ier" than the one I had (but it was also 3 years old).

How's that for customer service?

Lesson: If you're buying a computer get the "enterprise" system. All of them (Dell, HP, Lenovo (IBM)) have such a series. It's worth it.

I am happy for you! Let me tell you about customer service. I bought a new Sharp 60" television, one of their very best and it was defective. I argued to months to have it replaced. Finally they did so. Not trusting that particular model I decided what the heck, go for the even larger 70" Ultra HD. It was defective and again I had to argue submit photos, etc before it was replaced. So I received another Sharp Aquos Q+ top of the line 70" tv and you guessed it..........defective. It was also replaced. The current tv has lasted about 2 months...........and now it is defective. And I had the inconvenience and expense of having to have the mounted television removed and remounted each time and transporting back to the store each time. I have nothing but disdain for SHARP television or any of their other products. I am glad you had such good luck with your company. SHARP, IMO, SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived