TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Small Race Against A 904 Bhp Supra...

shelby_lux

Hello fellow Shelby owners,

I'm not someone who posts a lot on the forums, but I keep on reading as often as I can the new topics on here, and now I thought that I should share a video with you guys.

A friend of mine owns a 904bhp Toyota Supra, and we finally had the opportunity to run against each other. Besides the power disadvantage (my Shelby puts out 760bhp), the Supra is a lot lighter as well, but I was quite happy with how I was able to keep up. The Supra is definitely faster, but not as much as I feared (although the wide angle camera view of the GoPro's makes it seem worse than it really was!), but see for yourself. Here's the link, enjoy:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=FLvZsYPIG8J5ioiH6ILbcw4Q&v=D6IsaNW8ayE

Cheers,

Gilles

Edited by shelby_lux

Wow! Nicely put together video with all the different views. Yeah those Supras can be quick but I heard it takes large amounts of money to do it. May I suggest starting your race in second gear at 60mph roll next time, not 3rd.

Hi Secondo,

Thanks for the nice words!

Yeah, it sure takes a large amount of money to get a Supra to 900 bhp, as they're coming from far as they are rated at 330 bhp from the factory... Definitely a monster! But I'll stick to my Shelby! ;)

When I start in second gear, I'm experiencing massive traction problems! :peelout: I'm still running the stock Goodyear Eagle F1 G:2 tires... But I have a set of brand new Michelin PSS tires lying in the garage already, but I won't be putting them on until next spring. My 3.73 gears aren't helping either to get traction in second gear with my horsepower level...

@Helix:

Hi Helix,

Thank you too for the kind words.

As for the Supra, I'm not a huge fan of the car as well, but the one from the video is customized in a nice way, I think. Many of them look like they're straight out of "Fast and Furious", and I don't like those. But, either way, the passion for a nice tuned car stays the same, be it for a Supra, or a Shelby, or a Porsche, and that's what counts in my opinion ! :cool:

Cheers,

Gilles

Ah OK that explains it, I was wondering if you had different gears. No wonder your car hauls and kept up with the massively modded Supra!! A guy I know has a Supra like that one but ran out of money after $37k into the motor and tranny, it's still sitting in his garage. Its good looking for a Toyota though. Crazy fast when finished.

Ah OK that explains it, I was wondering if you had different gears. No wonder your car hauls and kept up with the massively modded Supra!! A guy I know has a Supra like that one but ran out of money after $37k into the motor and tranny, it's still sitting in his garage. Its good looking for a Toyota though. Crazy fast when finished.

Indeed, I do have the SVT Performance Package which has the 3.73 gears from the factory. So 60 mph in 3rd gear puts me close to my peak torque rpm level. I'm really hoping that the Michelins that I'll put on next year will help me traction-wise.

I just read in your signature that you're running the 305 Mickey Thomson Street radials! They must hook up like Hell!! :worship: Too bad we are a bit restricted in that matter over here in Luxembourg, so I have to stick with the OEM tire sizes or I could get in trouble with the Police... :whistling:

About the Supra: it really looks very nice and I like his wheels alot (even if they're probably a massive pain to clean...!). He's running a mixture of 50% ethanol and 50% 98 octane pump gas on his car and he's got 315 Toyos on the rear as well! :drop:

All in all, it was a fun afternoon, even if I lost... ;)

Cheers

Gilles

Gilles, I think you can get the Mickey Thompsons or Nitto's in the stock size, but I don't think you want to be such a criminal for changing your tires :hysterical: I'm guessing that your Shelby runs low 10's in the 1/4 mile with that setup (with traction) and his Supra runs high 8's or low 9's.

Edit: Grammar

Edited by Secondo

Gilles, I think you can get the Mickey Thompsons or Nitto's in the stock size, but I don't think you want to be such a criminal for changing your tires :hysterical: I'm guessing that your Shelby runs low 10's in the 1/4 mile with that setup (with traction) and his Supra runs high 8's or low 9's.

Edit: Grammar

They could hook up too well, I'm nervous about breaking my driveshaft, so a new one is my next purchase after the new tires (Michelins, too).

The problem is that the Mickey Thomsons or Nittos are hard to get over here in Europe... :-(

I have absolutely no idea what my car would do in 1/4 mile since I've never tried... The same can be said about the Supra. 1/4 mile races are not that common in Europe, there are a few events, but they are organized on closed airport runways only every now and then. It's more common to take your car to the racetrack, which is fun too! :-)) One of the only figures I know about my car is that it takes around 6 seconds to go from 100 kph to 200 kph (as a comparison: the Supra does it in 5.5 seconds!)

A new driveshaft is a good thing. Get a carbon driveshaft, because besides the great weight advantage, in case of a failure, you don't mess up everything underneath your car!

I have to replace my clutch as the stock one starts slipping with my new power... :-( Going to have a McLeod RXT installed next April, everything should be good then.

Cheers

Gilles