TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Super Snake An Already Built Gt500?

I have a REALLY built GT500: MMR sleeved block (5.8L), Kenne Bell 3.6LC, fully forged rotating assembly (billet I beam rods, forged 9.2:1 slugs,) ID 1300's, ARP studs/bolts, Clevite bearings, upgraded oil pan/pump, ported/polished heads, Manley SS valves, Pac springs/retainers, upgraded cams, ATI 10% overdrive, aluminum ds, BMR tubular k/rad support, RPM Stage VII 6060, Spec ST, True Trac 31 spline diff, Moser 31 spline axles, full BMR rear suspension, Viking rear shocks, Revan Racing Dead Hooker Springs, BMR extreme anti-roll bar, C/R HE, Barton Shifter. All that being said, I would like my car to bear some sort of official SAI improvement. Looking over the Super Snake list, I don't see much left that I haven't done (and to be honest I used the Shelby 1000 as a template for my build) (brakes, radiator, external mods). So, what packages (if any) does SAI offer for a car like mine? I would love for it to be a Super Snake, just for the panache of owning one and memory of Carroll, but paying the full cost of a SS upgrade would make no sense. Thanks in advance.

James

I have a REALLY built GT500: MMR sleeved block (5.8L), Kenne Bell 3.6LC, fully forged rotating assembly (billet I beam rods, forged 9.2:1 slugs,) ID 1300's, ARP studs/bolts, Clevite bearings, upgraded oil pan/pump, ported/polished heads, Manley SS valves, Pac springs/retainers, upgraded cams, ATI 10% overdrive, aluminum ds, BMR tubular k/rad support, RPM Stage VII 6060, Spec ST, True Trac 31 spline diff, Moser 31 spline axles, full BMR rear suspension, Viking rear shocks, Revan Racing Dead Hooker Springs, BMR extreme anti-roll bar, C/R HE, Barton Shifter. All that being said, I would like my car to bear some sort of official SAI improvement. Looking over the Super Snake list, I don't see much left that I haven't done (and to be honest I used the Shelby 1000 as a template for my build) (brakes, radiator, external mods). So, what packages (if any) does SAI offer for a car like mine? I would love for it to be a Super Snake, just for the panache of owning one and memory of Carroll, but paying the full cost of a SS upgrade would make no sense. Thanks in advance.

James

I would guess that getting a car built to the Super Snake fully optioned level and then having the car sent next door to Shelby Motorsports for either the 900hp or 1000hp upgrades would get a Super Snake in the ballpark? The hp options at SM may even be higher now? 900 and 1000 for Super Snake adds were from a couple of years ago.........

"Paying the full cost of a Super Snake upgrade" may not make sense to you, but that is what it takes to be an official Shelby Super Snake. In fact if I remember correctly, Shelby will pull off most or all of the upgrade items that you have installed and then build the car to "their" official/authorized Super Snake specs with no "credit" for owner installed items. <<I think that is the way it is?

A person can buy all of the performance parts they want, even some correct Super Snake items from eBay, the car could even blow away a Shelby built Super Snake in all three areas of performance, braking, handling and acceleration, but without Shelby documentation and a Shelby assigned Super Snake build number it is a GT500 with owner installed mods........

The Shelby documentation has a large value all of its own, before the performance of the car even starts to be discussed.

R

Shelby Motorsports is closed unfortunately. And from what I am hearing, in order for Shelby American to even do a SS upgrade or anything, you would basically have to put your car back to stock. I've asked the same thing. My car has just about all the upgrades the SS has minus a few things. But they told me no. So figured screw it, I'll build my car myself and make it just as good. And no they will not give you a discount or anything because you already have a lot of the parts installed. I've asked about that as well...

Shelby Motorsports is closed unfortunately. And from what I am hearing, in order for Shelby American to even do a SS upgrade or anything, you would basically have to put your car back to stock. I've asked the same thing. My car has just about all the upgrades the SS has minus a few things. But they told me no. So figured screw it, I'll build my car myself and make it just as good. And no they will not give you a discount or anything because you already have a lot of the parts installed. I've asked about that as well...

I've heard that "put your car back to stock" also.

It is much easier on the budget to put parts on a little at a time instead of pulling out the thick wallet and spending all of the $$$ at one time.

One thing that I have noticed over the last 4-5 years of following Super Snake resale prices.............the original cost of the Super Snake upgrade suffers very little at the time of sale. There may be a small loss, but the main depreciation is the car itself (for any given year, miles, etc.). If you compare what a Super Snake of whatever year with it's options originally cost to upgrade, and subtract the GT500 itself and it's current value, the Shelby add has not lost very much in value. This certainly can not be said for an equal year and miles GT500 with owner installed mods, in fact in some cases buyers shy away from modded cars, or at least are not will to pay anywhere near what has been spent on the car by the owner/seller.

So, even though it is hard to swallow a large chunk of $$$ going out in one big pile, and yes a car that performs as well can be built for less $$$, in the end the value seems to depend upon who installed the parts, not just that the parts are on the car and it performs as well as a Super Snake.

When did SM close? I was not aware of that.....

R

Yea I would have loved to have had my car Super Snaked. But it just wasnt possible to do the whole package price at one time. But yea unfortunately Shelby Motorsports closed very shortly after the move. I wish they were still there because they were great. I loved going there and seeing Super Snakes and GT350's and 1000's getting work done.

I would guess that getting a car built to the Super Snake fully optioned level and then having the car sent next door to Shelby Motorsports for either the 900hp or 1000hp upgrades would get a Super Snake in the ballpark? The hp options at SM may even be higher now? 900 and 1000 for Super Snake adds were from a couple of years ago.........

"Paying the full cost of a Super Snake upgrade" may not make sense to you, but that is what it takes to be an official Shelby Super Snake. If fact if I remember correctly, Shelby will pull off most or all of the upgrade items that you have installed and then build the car to "their" official/authorized Super Snake specs with no "credit" for owner installed items. <<I think that is the way it is?

A person can buy all of the performance parts they want, even some correct Super Snake items from eBay, the car could even blow away a Shelby built Super Snake in all three areas of performance, braking, handling and acceleration, but without Shelby documentation and a Shelby assigned Super Snake build number it is a GT500 with owner installed mods........

The Shelby documentation has a large value all of its own, before the performance of the car even starts to be discussed.

R

Couldn't have said it better myself. :thumbsup:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That's a Hella build, but like the others said, it ain't a Shelby CSM car without Shelby doing the work. I studied and beat myself over it for months and months while overseas before finally deciding to pull the trigger. As said above, financially I look at it as I would have had just another used, greatly depreciated GT500, but, instead I've got a pretty cool ride that's somewhat collectable and at least holding its conversion value. I don't know if the mods from the Speed Shop add any value but they make it more unique for me.

I believe they will leave on parts that do not conflict with their upgrade. Your build is pretty extensive, but the suspension should be left intact. The base package may also leave the engine as-is.

I have one part on mine that overlaps the SS package, and is the identical part number. They have offered an adjustment to the SS cost.

Archived