TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Bridging The (Generation) Gap

cormy

I rarely see eye to eye with my 13 year old daughter, she is under the impression the world started the day she was born and also knows all there is to know already (lol).

So how surprised was I now that she requests when ever I pick up or drop her off at a friends house or take them to an event I drive the Shelby.

She says all her friends think the car is "cool"..She acts like she doesn't care...but I can tell she likes it! ;)

My daughter was the same at 13 and is still the same now at 18.

When she was at home she rarely rode in the Shelby, but when she did she laughed her butt off when I'd go WOT. My son on the other hand has spent many hours in my last and current.

I'll probably let him take it to prom when that time comes.

AK.

My son just went to his first school dance. When he got home I asked him how it was. He said that one boy arrived by riding in on the back of his dad's Harley, and he was the talk of the dance all night. Then he said, "Next time you have got to drop me off in the Shelby!"

He too acts like he doesn't care about the car.....but he does. He just doesn't want me to know he does.

He is 13 and we recently had a conversation about me teaching to to drive. I told him he could learn the basics in a car with an automatic transmission, but he really would not know how to drive until he could drive a stick shift. I told him its a dying 'art' and he had to carry on the tradition. He asked if once he learned stick, could he drive the GT500. I told him the GT500 was a very special car, and we would have to see. He said "No problem dad.....I'll just drive it after you have passed." Yeah, nice kid my son is. ;)

Z-man

That's funny stuff Z-man. My youngest son is really into Mustangs. When he got his permit we took one of the KRs to the school parking lot one weekend and practiced driving. It was a lot of fun for both of us. It'll be a memory he'll have forever.

When my son and daughter were in high school, neither pushed themselves academically and just wanted to skate by as the social element had a bigger fascination. So I told (bribed) each of them that if they could get their license and drive a stick, get through their senior year with a 3.0 for the year and no bad reports, they would be able to drive themselves to school in the 66 GT350 on the last class day instead of the daily grind of an unglamorous bus ride. Well, neither got to that level but they did better than in previous years so I did the driving on that day to drop them off with sufficient exhaust rumble to make each of them feel like the big one campus that morning in the crowded arrival zone. They still mention it frequently dozens of years later. And so do their friends.

:cool:

Hey, what can I say. I'm not a one-story kind of person; and besides, my dad has a Chevelle so I had to take down the Mustang thing myself.

The 5.0 Lincoln was funny, I was somewhat quiet mostly yet had this mafia muscle car that caused questions from a few people.

In the end I just had to get my own Mustang. And then I had to mod it to make it mine, and now I still drive it everywhere including college every day.

Archived